1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ST: Terrance Williams takes the blame for a Tony Romo interception again

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by NewsBot, Nov 3, 2013.

1. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

3,960 Messages
    428 Likes Received
    He's done better than I had expected... Still going to be a very good player. He's learning on the job.
  2. mldardy

mldardy Well-Known Member

6,263 Messages
    455 Likes Received
    Yeah I agree. He is quickly becoming one of my favorites. He's had to learn quickly and he's adjusted well. A great compliment to Dez and Cole.
  3. hairic

hairic Well-Known Member

2,408 Messages
    157 Likes Received
    This is synced up between replays.

Romo stepping into throw. Timing nearly perfect (QB and WR both planted feet at same time). Also, the hips don't lie:
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Point where ball is out of Romo's hand.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Williams takes 5 yards to finish that cut, allowing the CB to cut under the route. Might have also been PI.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

The route will look like the pick to Escobar from above.
  4. starfrombirth

starfrombirth Well-Known Member

3,685 Messages
    354 Likes Received
    Qb can' t be afraid to throw to 1vs1 in today's NFL.
  5. Crown Royal

Crown Royal Insulin Beware

10,061 Messages
    454 Likes Received
    As opposed to whose fault it is, I would say the DB gets more credit than anyone. He had a good read, followed it through, bated the QB and got the INT. Great play by the corner.

You can spend the week worrying about whose fault an INT is or you can accept that they happen.
    FuzzyLumpkins and birdwells1 like this.
  6. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,336 Messages
    678 Likes Received
    This. Great play by the defender when William did not drive back for the ball. Yes, the ball could have been thrown a little further to the outside but the bottom-line is that the defender made a great play running through Williams to get to the ball.
  7. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,242 Messages
    1,330 Likes Received
    This.
  8. FiveRings

FiveRings Well-Known Member

1,759 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    Dammit Tony, even if it is his fault, you're not supposed to let your rookie wide receiver take the blame for a pic
  9. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,515 Messages
    463 Likes Received
    It wasn't 100% on Romo. The pass wasn't perfect, but when you throw to 1 on 1 coverage you have to expect the worst thing to happen is an incomplete pass. In that situation (no matter who the QB and WR are) the WR needs to make sure the CB doesn't come away with a pick.

As a QB you have to be able to trust your WR to make a play for you (or prevent one for the defense) if they're in 1 on 1 coverage.
  10. ABQCOWBOY

34,242 Messages
    1,330 Likes Received
    If the ball were in front of him or up high, then I could probably agree with this but you are taught that the Cardinal rule, when throwing a corssing pattern in the middle of the field, not to throw behind your receiver because all of those things go out the window in an area of the field where you will likely have a lot of traffic. Never throw it behind your WR there because if the WR tries to make a play, it usually ends up in a tip drill. He's moving away from the ball which means his ability to do anything with it, other then just get a hand on it is greatly compromised.

Now, if you are going to make the point that he ran the wrong route, then that's another thing but it did not look that way and I have not heard anybody report that.

Maybe not 100% on Romo because it's possible that it could have been caught but, it's still a terrible throw and one you really can't throw behind the WR like that. I gotta say, that one was on Romo. He's a vet.
  11. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,956 Messages
    1,683 Likes Received
    That's exactly why Dez claims that Revis would never make that pick now that he made a couple of years ago.
    Dez would have either taken it from him or made sure he didn't get it.
    Heck, a receiver can even tackle a DB if he has too to prevent a pick if they're in close quarters. At least your team still has the ball.

But in the end, I tend to agree that DB just made the better play there, better than either Williams or Romo did.
  12. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,515 Messages
    463 Likes Received
    I agree the accuracy (and the decision) to throw it was bad, but you still have to be able to trust your WR's to "play defense" if you're giving them an opportunity in a one on one situation.

Miles Austin has ALWAYS been HORRIBLE at that. If the ball isn't thrown perfectly to him, he'll usually (not always) just kind of watch the defender make a play on the ball w/o trying to interrupt the play.
  13. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

8,679 Messages
    488 Likes Received
    I tend to agree that Romo at least shares the blame. He should have lofted it more to the sideline, where only Williams had a shot.

That being said, some people take issue with Romo not throwing the ball up for grabs and letting his receivers win the jump ball. He essentially threw a jump ball and Williams did nothing to win it.
  14. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

21,956 Messages
    1,683 Likes Received
    I'm pretty sure that our QB is the only one in the league that has a dedicated thread for every single pick he throws.
    The guy almost gets dissected for every single throw he makes--completion, incompletion, pick, TD, or whatever.
    Mind-boggling.
    ringmaster, Kristen82 and dstovall5 like this.
  15. BHendri5

BHendri5 Well-Known Member

3,173 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    no, it was williams fault again, but that is alright, he has built up credit., and he is still learning, Austin has done the same thing before, so has ogletree. it is all good. he will learn that he has to fight for those balls and win, and if he cannot win become the DB and stop the pick.
  16. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

8,679 Messages
    488 Likes Received
    Let's see ...

First one, against the Giants, was completely on Williams for readjusting his route after Romo signaled to him where to go.

The one against the Broncos was a bad throw, no matter how poorly the rookie tight end Escobar ran his route. There were circumstances regarding the offensive line that contributed to the throw, but it still was a poor one.

The Redskins, I believe, came on a ball batted at the line of scrimmage.

One against the Eagles was a Hail Mary at the end of the first half that really should have been caught by Bryant. The other happened because Tanner ran the wrong route, dragging the linebacker in front of Romo's intended target, Beasley (who was open).

Then, Williams takes blame for this last one, but a better throw to the sideline would have given only Williams a chance at the ball.

So, depending on who's counting, Romo is either to blame for 0 of 6, 1 of 6, 2 of 6 or 3 of 6, I believe. I count it as 2 of 6.
  17. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

15,416 Messages
    820 Likes Received
    Those stills hairic put up are awesome. When Romo threw the ball, I imagine he was not expecting Williams to be three yards deeper from where he took his cut and still fading by the time the throw got there.

He threw the ball as his receiver was making his cut. This is a timing based offense. Many of us have read the playbooks and the offense needs to have receivers that run strong routes and drive hard when you make your cuts. That was an awful route by Williams. The QB makes his throw based on what is happening when the WR makes his move.

Now maybe the way the CB was playing him should have given a different read but it looks to me like the corner has his hips turned inside and Williams was running deep out. He is 15 yards downfield and he ends up at 20 yards.

That was a heck of a play by the CB to turnaround and undercut that route.
  18. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

6,107 Messages
    312 Likes Received
    Not that I don't question the throw (though I do wonder on the route too), but what does a crossing pattern in the middle of the field have to do with this play?
  19. ABQCOWBOY

34,242 Messages
    1,330 Likes Received
    I agree. Sometimes your WRs need to turn into DBs for you and that's pretty much expected in this game. That happens but I see a trend, as I'm sure anybody who is actually watching or reading would, that this is used as an excuse for Romo's performance. We all know that it's unacceptable among some, to criticize Romo and we also know that some practice this at any opportunity. Neither are particularly good habits but I will say that of late, Romo has had some accuracy issues. He was not on last week and that INT was, IMO, a direct result of that inaccuracy. You never throw that ball behind your WR there. If you do, you are just asking for an INT and the situation lends itself to that because of the WRs momentum. That's all I'm saying.
  20. CowboysPhan

CowboysPhan Obsequious Cowboys Toadie

447 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    Imagine that play with the Cowboys on defense, and Brandon Carr makes the pick. All we would be thinking and talking about was the amazing and outstanding play of Carr making that pick! No way would we be talking about how the qb threw a risky pass, or could have put it more outside, or how the receiver rounded off his route or could have fought harder for the ball. We would be (correctly) impressed by the great play by Carr. Rather than assigning blame, I give credit to the corner for making a really good play on the ball. Sometimes the other team's pro players make good plays. It doesn't always have to be a blame game!
    FuzzyLumpkins likes this.