1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

ST: Things to watch in the Cowboys’ preseason opener

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by NewsBot, Aug 6, 2014.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot New Member

32,807 Messages
    316 Likes Received
    [IMG]
    [CDATA[ Dallas will be looking more at the bottom of the roster than at the starters at San Diego.]]>

1Brandon Weeden’s first game
    The Cowboys are hoping they never see Weeden on the field in the regular season, but they want to have him ready just in case something happens to Romo. Romo, still rehabbing his surgically repaired back, won’t play until next week against Baltimore at AT&T Stadium. Weeden will play much of the first half Thursday. Weeden, the 22nd overall pick of the Browns in 2012, was 5-15 as a starter in Cleveland.

2Zack Martin’s debut
    The Cowboys passed on quarterback Johnny Manziel to take offensive lineman Zack Martin with the 16th overall choice. The Cowboys immediately made Martin the starter at right guard, with Mackenzy Bernadeau moving over to the left side to compete with Ron Leary. Martin, a Notre Dame product, has impressed the Cowboys in practice, but this will be his first chance to really show his “nastiness.”

3Rod Marinelli’s defense
    The Cowboys finished last in total defense last season, the third worst in NFL history. Marinelli replaced Monte Kiffin as defensive coordinator, and the Cowboys have faith he will make a difference. Tackle Henry Melton and weakside linebacker Bruce Carter are among the keys to improving the defense.

Continue reading...
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2014
  2. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,268 Messages
    7,118 Likes Received
    I don't think we'll get anything out of watching Marinelli's defense tomorrow.
  3. ninja

ninja Numbnuts

5,856 Messages
    743 Likes Received
    If we are lucky, we might get some one-on-one matchups of Bush, Bishop, and Coleman. Maybe a vanilla stunt or two. We may even get a lot of press coverage by the CBs. Every team wants to see the refs and how they are supposedly putting an emphasis on defensive holding.
  4. Bigdog24

Bigdog24 Well-Known Member

2,004 Messages
    268 Likes Received
    3rd worst in NFL history......just jaw dropping, what has happened to the Dallas Cowboys.....Love Marinelli but Jerry Jones is asking him for a miracles at this point....last championship was 1995.... just amazing that we are talking about the Dallas Cowboys, Americas Team...kids today have no idea what it feels like for the Cowboys to be champions....feels like the last few years of the Tom Landry ERA...all over again....wow
    ufcrules1 and waving monkey like this.
  5. Sportsbabe

Sportsbabe Well-Known Member

6,294 Messages
    1,496 Likes Received
    I just want to see if we have any football players on the team, you know what I mean.
    Seven and mcompact like this.
  6. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

32,135 Messages
    7,851 Likes Received
    All that, and we're still just 8 points from 13-3 last season.
  7. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,652 Messages
    5,563 Likes Received
    Probably could have stopped right there.
    BigStar and cowboyblue22 like this.
  8. chip_gilkey

chip_gilkey Active Member

2,559 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    hollow words to people like me. I'm 25 and the highlight of my tenure as a fan was the 09 wildcard win. Its easy for people who have experienced greatness to see things that way, for fans like myself who have spent the last 7 years and our entire fan-hood with nothing but 8-8 or worse its a little tougher to swallow.
    Seven, ufcrules1 and fffiasco like this.
  9. Idgit

32,135 Messages
    7,851 Likes Received
    No doubt. I've seen the Super Bowl wins live, and the draught is hard to swallow. But that doesn't change the fact that we were really close to five more wins last season. Still losses, obviously. But the line is thin in the NFL.
    chip_gilkey likes this.
  10. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,986 Messages
    1,051 Likes Received
    Look at it this way, chip_gilkey: I am twice your age and have seen the best of times for our Cowboys. The downside is I may never see them (good times) again. You are young; you may yet see some great things.
    PA Cowboy Fan likes this.
  11. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,986 Messages
    1,051 Likes Received
    Probably not but I'll be watching the two rookies in the middle of the d-line.
  12. ologan

ologan Well-Known Member

3,842 Messages
    275 Likes Received
    Won't get anything out of it???? How about watching a little Cowboy's football!! NFL.com took my $20 and I'm gonna get my money's worth, even if it is watching scrubs!!:):):)
    BigStar and pancakeman like this.
  13. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

3,551 Messages
    1,231 Likes Received
    13 points

8 points from 8-3-5

I guess you can also say we were 61 points from 11-5
    ufcrules1 likes this.
  14. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,612 Messages
    863 Likes Received

Yeah, and the division was in total disarray, we were also 8 points from 5-11. time to move on.
    CowboyDan and ufcrules1 like this.
  15. morasp

morasp Well-Known Member

2,955 Messages
    520 Likes Received
    I got that too. Planning to watch parts of the early games too. Probably Steelers, and Vikings or Rams to see how Barr, Donald, and Shazier look.
  16. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

7,311 Messages
    1,471 Likes Received
    lol... Yup. Stats don't mean squat. We sucked last year and this year isn't looking much better.
  17. Idgit

32,135 Messages
    7,851 Likes Received
    Good point. But still, the line is really thin in this league. Either way. That's not to make us seem better than we are. It's just to keep the task of improvement in perspective. The league is setup for teams to be able to compete every season.
  18. Idgit

32,135 Messages
    7,851 Likes Received
    Stats don't "mean" anything. They measure things. And whether you want to acknowledge it or not, many teams aren't not far from contention in the NFL in any given season.

We didn't suck last year. We weren't quite good enough. That's an important difference if you're talking about the possibility of improvement from one season to the next.
  19. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

9,962 Messages
    1,917 Likes Received
    With all the nagging injuries and players being held out, the vanilla game will be vanilla....

I think after the 1st quarter, other than a few players, they will be playing just to survive without further injuries.

But I will watch from start to finish.
  20. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,390 Messages
    646 Likes Received
    I want to see fredbeard and Martin blow the chargers five yards off the line of scrimmage