1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ST: Tyron Smith brings home the hardware, with his team winning the annual Cowboys U tournament

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by NewsBot, Jun 12, 2014.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot New Member

32,805 Messages
    316 Likes Received
    Left tackle Tyron Smith earned bragging rights for the year, but he claims he won't use it. It's not really his style.

"I ain't going to do that," he said.

Team Smith beat Team Romo 7-6, converting a conversion on the final play in a championship game shortened by the threat of lightning. The annual Cowboys U high school football camp concluded the team's organized team activities Thursday at Valley Ranch.

The Cowboys had 160 teenagers from 20 area high schools for a 6-on-6 round-robin tournament. Cowboys players served as coaches, with six of them head coaches.

“A lot of teams I’ve been on do bowling outings or fishing outings or something like that,” coach Jason Garrett said. "We feel like this is a win-win across the board. Our players work with the kids and the kids have an opportunity to be with the players. Everybody is taking advantage of it. Our players embrace it. They get closer as a result of it. You see our guys running around the field high-fiving each other, high-fiving the kids, competing against each other. I just think it’s a real positive day for so many different reasons.”

Smith said it was a combination of good players and coaching that won his team the championship.

"It was all the players as well as all the coaches I had on my team to help me out," Smith said. "It was good to kind of see the other side of it. These kids gave it everything they had out there. I'm just proud of the kids and the effort they gave."

-- Charean Williams

Continue reading...