1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: ST: Zack Martin's first snaps at center are eye-opening: 'You got a lot going on'

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by NewsBot, Jun 10, 2014.

1. NewsBot

NewsBot New Member

32,715 Messages
    316 Likes Received
    The Cowboys gave Zack Martin a look at center during the OTA practice on Tuesday and plan to keep doing it.

“We viewed him as a guy who could potentially play five offensive line spots when we drafted him,” coach Jason Garrett said. “He’s certainly done a very good job at guard. We’ll try to give him some snaps at center as well.”

Martin comes to the Cowboys with 52 games of big-time college experience at left tackle. He never played a game at guard in college, and he only snapped during workouts for NFL teams in the offseason.

“It’s hard,” he said, and laughed. “The first time I was in there, I came to the side, I was like, ‘God, you got a lot going on out there. You got to know a lot.’ ”

Continue reading...
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2014
  2. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,294 Messages
    1,245 Likes Received
    I'm all for versatility, but I'm having trouble thinking of the situation where he'd end up at center.
    50cent and guag like this.
  3. Bowdown27

Bowdown27 Well-Known Member

2,687 Messages
    283 Likes Received
    Yea doesn't make sense to me.
  4. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 Cowboys Analyst

12,921 Messages
    641 Likes Received
    Left tackle? Holy cow I just assumed he played the right side for some reason...
  5. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

67,244 Messages
    7,074 Likes Received
    I hate to bring up old stuff, but I recall a few years back where the OL was gutted right up the middle at the C spot. It's happened, might as well look now to see how he'd handle it.
    Duane, djmajestik, brymatt94 and 2 others like this.
  6. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

9,468 Messages
    934 Likes Received
    Would rather keep working him at guard since we're depending on starting him there this year. Versatility is a good thing, but it's something he can work on as he progresses.
  7. guag

guag Right Kind of Guy

6,686 Messages
    1,430 Likes Received
    I'd hate to see this hinder his progress at learning the guard position. Unless we really feel like we might need him at guard, I'd be more inclined to get him as much guard experience now as possible.
  8. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,294 Messages
    1,245 Likes Received
    I don't disagree that this is the time to look at it, part of what made him valuable where we picked him in versatility - but if he's starting at center, that Fred and Bernie are out, doesn't it? Not good.
    WoodysGirl likes this.
  9. WoodysGirl

67,244 Messages
    7,074 Likes Received
    Yeah, this would be a worst case scenario for sure. Imagine this line up. Smith, Leary, Martin, Free, Parnell.
  10. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,691 Messages
    1,498 Likes Received
    Never hurts to find out about worst case scenarios
    radioactivecowboy88 likes this.
  11. RastaRocket

RastaRocket Sanka, Ya Dead Mon? Ya Mon.

5,977 Messages
    474 Likes Received
    That's not a bad worst case scenario to have.
    parcells4prez likes this.
  12. WoodysGirl

67,244 Messages
    7,074 Likes Received
    We've definitely seen worse.
    dogunwo likes this.
  13. Silver Surfer

Silver Surfer Active Member

297 Messages
    188 Likes Received
    I hope this means he's doing so well picking up the guard position that they think he can try center as well.
    guag likes this.
  14. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

32,024 Messages
    7,761 Likes Received
    Costa>Kowolski>Cook. It can happen fast.

We're probably looking at options for only dressing 7 OLs on game day at some point, though.
    pancakeman and Yuma Cactus like this.
  15. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

6,612 Messages
    2,172 Likes Received
    This is the time to see who can come in if necessary. Just like we did in College baseball, during the fall, we would practice at other positions to see if anything was there and if we could come and play in a pinch at a different position.

If Fred goes down in camp or early season, they need to know if Martin is a viable option. Now, if he sees multiple snaps during camp, that would be a mistake. That is where he should be getting used to the position and pace of the game, not anywhere but guard.
    djmajestik likes this.
  16. Idgit

32,024 Messages
    7,761 Likes Received
    You need to say "knock on wood".
  17. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

6,612 Messages
    2,172 Likes Received
    [IMG]
    Idgit likes this.
  18. Idgit

32,024 Messages
    7,761 Likes Received
    I'd also have accepted @Wood.
    Wood likes this.
  19. JoeyBoy718

JoeyBoy718 Well-Known Member

4,428 Messages
    1,812 Likes Received
    I think he'll be fine. Frederick got a lot of work at guard last training camp and that didn't slow him down. Martin is a fast learner.
  20. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,983 Messages
    1,534 Likes Received
    TC hasn't even started yet, so them giving him looks @ center can only be a good thing to me...I think that they are moving many guys around, especially on the interior not just to see what they can do there, but if Martin is playing a little center, wouldn't he naturally get a look at what he needs to do to help either guard position? He might see where a guard failing on a snap can screw the pooch for the offense....thus, he can learn about the guard position from a different aspect of the line.....I like it at this point in the pre-season
    Maxmadden likes this.