1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Stanford Football's Unique New Training Regimen

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by DOUBLE WING, Jan 1, 2014.

1. DOUBLE WING

DOUBLE WING Well-Known Member

3,270 Messages
    899 Likes Received
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/31/s...inct-training-regimen-redefines-strength.html

After the last two years, it seems clear to me that whatever we are doing training/strength and conditioning wise ain't working. I have a lot of respect for what Mike Woicik has done in his career. The resume speaks for itself. He's clearly one of the best to ever do it.

And maybe the last two years aren't his fault, maybe it's just dumb luck. That is certainly possible, and honestly more believable than the fact that Woicik all of the sudden lost his touch. But whatever the case, I think it's time for a change. I think it would behoove us to look into something like this. An article has also circulated around here regarding the Philadelphia Eagles' cutting edge new training program introduced by Chip Kelly. Glancing at their injury report, they don't seem to have nearly as many problems as we've had the last couple of years with simple things like hamstrings and pulls and strains.
    LOBO7, tantrix1969 and Common Sense like this.
  2. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,965 Messages
    1,529 Likes Received
    they certainly need to do something different...I just fear that Jones reverts back to his "dancin' with the oldies" routine with his coaching staff and that old school approach is not relevant in today's NFL....he just can't see that it is 2014 through his alcohol-stained glasses
    snapper likes this.
  3. CopenhagenCowboy

CopenhagenCowboy Active Member

944 Messages
    97 Likes Received
    There's no way that Jerry would understand something like this. He doesn't even understand the need for a GM or a HC to make his team competitive.
    Common Sense and visionary like this.
  4. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,965 Messages
    1,529 Likes Received
    agreed....and besides, injuries are part of the entertainment value! If someone gets injured, it can change the outlook of the game and make it more entertaining
  5. theranchsucks

theranchsucks Well-Known Member

1,062 Messages
    369 Likes Received
    Kinda hard to keep guys healthy if they don't ever fear of getting cut or losing money. Wether its the newly high paid middle linebacker in Sean Lee or its the 4th round pick who is always welcome back year after year after year from injuries, the players just don't ever have that fear of losing there jobs.
  6. rat2k8

rat2k8 Active Member

786 Messages
    245 Likes Received
    Who cares Jerry understands $$$$ and cents. Cowboys are the show and made a 300 million profit., He is good at what he does on the business side of things. No if he can learn to be a real GM we might be able to do great things.
  7. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,644 Messages
    5,556 Likes Received
    I wonder if they are told that before they sign their commitment paper.
  8. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

10,444 Messages
    6,003 Likes Received
    i agree but who exactly from the jones clan do you think has this article or any of the new training methods on their radar? they are too busy trying to fill the stadium with different events...i guarantee none of them are thinking about this.
    tantrix1969 and visionary like this.
  9. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,644 Messages
    5,556 Likes Received
    No kidding. You can never have no many monster trucks or rodeos can you?

:rolleyes:
  10. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,864 Messages
    2,342 Likes Received
    The joneses and Jason have shown no ability to learn new approaches or from their mistakes
  11. snapper

snapper Active Member

259 Messages
    84 Likes Received
    Interesting point. I always felt Tom Landry lost touch because of his unwillingness to adapt. If you do not adapt you do not survive.

Maybe it is time to look at new ways to train given the CBA training restrictions.
    Fredd likes this.
  12. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,965 Messages
    1,529 Likes Received
    I wish that they would to that (the training piece)...the cowboys love to emulate what works with other teams, well? what are they waiting for? emulate what is working for Stanford???
  13. Gadfly22

Gadfly22 Active Member

627 Messages
    152 Likes Received
    I posted the link to that article twice here already. I think it's important, and I think some kind of program like this needs to be instituted by the Cowboys ASAP. Whatever they're doing now is not producing super-strong players and certainly is not minimizing injuries.
  14. hutch1254

hutch1254 Well-Known Member

1,449 Messages
    194 Likes Received
    I think for our situation it is going to have to be a combination of some new ideas on approach in the training area and removing some of the players who just can't stay healthy. I think you'd see a quick turnaround and good drop in man games lost.
  15. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,698 Messages
    5,857 Likes Received
    If anybody believes that getting paid had an effect on Sean Lee's commitment, then that person is a Moron.
  16. Fmart322

Fmart322 Well-Known Member

1,067 Messages
    171 Likes Received
  17. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,035 Messages
    2,265 Likes Received
    Just like everything else, training athletes evolves.

I think it's time we go another direction there because I can't look at any player and say that he's do e a good job with their conditioning.
  18. Toruk_Makto

Toruk_Makto Well-Known Member

3,182 Messages
    2,095 Likes Received
    Nobody here has any idea what the training regime at Valley Ranch is.

Everyone just assumes it sucks.

Par for the course.
    jobberone likes this.
  19. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,917 Messages
    1,505 Likes Received
    You guys are funny. You say Dallas is stuck with the oldies while the article clearly states that some of this guys work out regiments are old school military style calisthenics. You also don't need to get a new strength and conditioning coach to change work out routines. Things can be modified with the same staff in place. The strength and conditioning coaches probably go to clinics and seminars to learn some different things they can implement every year. Who knows? Maybe they have already consulted with the guy at Stanford on some stuff that they do.
    Cumart21, elcowboi and jobberone like this.
  20. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

39,002 Messages
    4,533 Likes Received
    Please don't screw this thread up with logical, coherent, common sense thoughts or ideas, or anything else that is a buzzkill for the yang crowd.
    Common Sense likes this.