1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Star Lotulelei Worth the move?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Cajuncowboy, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Cajuncowboy

Cajuncowboy Preacher From The Black Lagoon

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    If we are moving to the 4-3 we need someone like Star Lotulelei at DT. He seems to be the perfect fit for it. We have a few extra picks this year, why not package them and make a move up into the top ten? He can be a destructive force on the D-Line.

Y'all think it would be worth the effort?
  2. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,979 Messages
    1,048 Likes Received
    It's a tempting thought but the price would be too high.
  3. Rogerthat12

Rogerthat12 DWAREZ

3,882 Messages
    246 Likes Received
    Unfortunately, we have too many other positions that we must address via the draft due to our cap situation, draft picks will be at a premium.
  4. jjktkk

jjktkk Active Member

1,672 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    Not with only six picks in the draft.
  5. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
  6. Cajuncowboy

27,476 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Yeah, I misunderstood something I read at first saying we had two extra picks.
  7. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,643 Messages
    1,479 Likes Received
    Last year one new fender and alot of bondo. You saw what happened.
  8. curboys

curboys Member

81 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Could this be the Walker type trade that Jerry was speaking of ?

Trade DeMarcus Ware for the rights to draft Lotulelei and additional draft picks ?
  9. Cowboy Brian

Cowboy Brian Romo 2 Austin Zone Supporter

11,915 Messages
    340 Likes Received
    It depends if he falls to around #6 or #7 then yes. I don't see that happening.
  10. Shinywalrus

Shinywalrus Active Member

1,740 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Trading up for a deep position this year? Not a fan of the move, personally. Star is more versatile than most and could play 0, 1, 3 or 5 - perfect for a scheme or team that needed that, but for a pure 3 DL, is he really the kind of massive step up from Richardson, Short or Floyd that would merit a trade-up?

I'd be more interested in trading up a couple spots to make sure we got Richardson, if we knew we wanted to go DL, than betting the farm on Lotulelei.
  11. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,534 Messages
    1,799 Likes Received
    Agree with all that.

One thing to consider, is that if Spencer, Felix, and Jenkins all sign elsewhere, the Cowboys could get a couple of decent comp picks. It's possible that those can allow some flexibility in terms of making a trade to move up.
  12. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,634 Messages
    5,792 Likes Received
    There are going to be too many good players at #18. Also, there are going to be a lot of really good players at the draft pick that you would have to give up (i.e. 2nd or 3rd).

I'm fairly certain that those comp picks would come in the 2014 draft. Also, if the Cowboys sign any Free Agents then that would offset the lost FAs resulting in no comp picks.
  13. Shinywalrus

Shinywalrus Active Member

1,740 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    They would come in 2014, but I suspect we will move a pick from next year to trade back into get another #6 or get back a #7 this year, knowing that we're going to be made whole by compensatories. Don't think it will affect the top of draft for us all that much.

Spencer is a candidate for a #3 compensatory, while Jenkins and Felix could both be as high as #4s, although I would expect Felix to be platooned and drop his value.
  14. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,844 Messages
    2,326 Likes Received
    IMO, and i might be in the minority here, the only time one should move from outside the top 10 to in the top 10 (ie likely giving up a significant amount) is to draft a QB or a LT when that is a significant need

we have both

sit tight

i would favor dropping to mid 20s for an extra round 2 or 3 pick instead since there are likely to be some very good OL, DL, and safeties still available this year in those spots