1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Star-Telegram- Of all things, Owner Jones wants to turn Tony Romo loose

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Gemini Dolly, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Gemini Dolly

Gemini Dolly Well-Known Member

6,582 Messages
    640 Likes Received
    When it comes to his quarterback, the one with only one playoff victory since 11th grade, Jerry Jones is all in.No, I mean really all in. The dream. The new contract. The offense, the one with coach Jason Garrett’s neck attached.

Speaking at the NFL owners meetings in Arizona, Jones talked candidly last week about quarterback Tony Romo’s impending new job description.
    “He’s going to have high expectations, I promise you that,” Jerry told a group of reporters. “He’s not going to be paid to be a bus driver.”
    In other words, it’s Romo or bust. Make it happen, coach Garrett. Take Romo’s “special skills” — i.e., par golf and scrambling for his life — and turn them into an offense that can knock off the 49ers, Seahawks, Giants, et al.

Do it, Owner Jones said, the way that Washington “took advantage of RG3’s special skills.”
    Right. Unlock the Robert Griffin III inside of Tony Romo.
    The delusion at Valley Ranch continues.

2. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

8,951 Messages
    1,235 Likes Received
    I don't think it's delusional at all.

I think in 2006 and in some extent 2007 we saw a very different Romo and a very different offense.

We need the offensive line wasn't great, and there were a lot of bootlegs, and we focused on getting the ball out quickly. We also focused on the run a lot more, which actually let Romo be more effective and productive.

In 2008 onward there was this focus to turn him into a pocket passer... without giving him the offensive line necessary to do it.
  3. DallasDW00ds0n

DallasDW00ds0n Well-Known Member

3,116 Messages
    218 Likes Received
    Every QB has his own special skill set and Jerry wants Garrett to take advantage of Romo's. Is that really a crazy idea, Gil???

Isn't that Garrett's job????

That doesn't directly reference the RG3 pistol offense and why would it?

Stupid angle to take against Jerry and Im all for Jerry ripping.
  4. Aliencowboy

Aliencowboy Active Member

611 Messages
    98 Likes Received
    Garrett hasn't amazed us with game planning. There's never a moment
    where you go oh yeah we've never seen that formation used or he put that defense in a tough position or that defense is under constant pressure.

Basically, it's a slow start because he's calling safe plays trying to figure out what the defense is doing and then matching up his play calling package to what the defense is presenting.

The problem is slow starts and the defense is dictating what happens: "Take what the defense gives you." There's no pressure being put on the defense. It's predictable lacks innovation and creativity, simplistic and scheme based. With no substantial Oline, it's also one dimensional.

Personally, I like G and his background for a head coach. As an OC, he falls short because he lacks the balls to go outside the box, present wrinkles and attack defenses. In a sense, he's like an old general that plays the percentages, plays his trite formulas and lines up taking too many casualties and winning because your team is either better or not.

A great general beats others when they're not suppose to. When was the last time you thought, wow, that team was favored but just got out coached by Dallas. In contrast, the team has talent and under achieves.

Romo and the Jones are seemingly pointing this out now.
  5. jjktkk

jjktkk Active Member

1,656 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    I thought so as well. Sounds like Gil wants Jerry to give up on Romo, which means blowing up the team and starting from scratch. Then Gil can rip Jerry for having a bad team with no qb. Imo, Romo is a a qb you can win with, provided you surround him with the right supporting cast of players, and coaches. So I don't have a problem with Jerry attempting to do this.
  6. Aven8

Aven8 Well-Known Member

4,290 Messages
    905 Likes Received
    Just strip the dude of play calling already and it get it over with! Geez. Quit screwing around and let Cally call plays. What can it hurt?
  7. ChldsPlay

ChldsPlay Well-Known Member

6,221 Messages
    369 Likes Received
    I don't agree with that at all. I don't think there were many, and I really don't remember (going back way before Romo) when this team has done well doing a bootleg or rollout. Half the time they turn into near interceptions.

Escaping the pocket is not the same thing as a bootleg/rollout, and there is a very different effect on the defense between the two.
  8. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,929 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Exactly.

Gil is yet another of the old media Garrett fanboy crew from back in the day. He lost me here:

Yeah -- poor, poor Jason. Gets promoted way faster than he should, gets millions of dollars a year to coach the highest-profile team in the game, gets to coach one of the best QBs in the world along with a HOF TE and other talented players like Dez... Poor guy doesn't have a chance, does he? :rolleyes:
  9. Gemini Dolly

Gemini Dolly Well-Known Member

6,582 Messages
    640 Likes Received
    I am for whatever game plan limits Romo's turnovers.

If that means he has to be a bus driver, so be it.
  10. sbark

sbark Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,696 Messages
    232 Likes Received
    so keep him a known stationary target as in the final Redskin game......we'll see that def attack the 1st 5 games of the 2013 season until Garrett can prove he finally has an answer..........watched Romo looking in the playbook for an answer that whole game---maybe he found it in the appendix by now
  11. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

5,823 Messages
    1,874 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
  12. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,033 Messages
    144 Likes Received
    You can't both complain about Garrett and ignore the fact that the defacto best GM in the NFL, Ozzie Newsome wanted him as Head Coach. Well, I guess you CAN, but it kinda undercuts the argument, ya' know?
  13. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,929 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Ozzie Newsome once drafted Mark Clayton ahead of Aaron Rodgers and Roddy White.

Was that a proper evaluation just because it was Ozzie making it?

And I doubt he'd want Garrett now after 2.5 years of seeing him as an actual head coach, not as a projection.
  14. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received

Exactly. He is reactive, not proactive. Take what the defense gives you is a sissy motto. Go impose your will you sissy ginger, come out firing like we see at the end of the game after 'take what the defense gives you' puts the team in a 20 point hole, see what happens then.
  15. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,033 Messages
    144 Likes Received
    Twenty supposedly 'professional NFL management teams' skipped Aaron Rodgers.

Sure Ozzie makes some mistakes. Everyone does. But people can't both use Newsome as a touchstone of proper GMing, and then discount his opinions. Dallas is a tough house for Coach and QB, due to it's 'peculiar' situation. Garrett is uniquely set up to work well in that enviornment.
  16. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,467 Messages
    173 Likes Received

You clearly didn't read the article. The entire article is about Garrett unleashing Romo and Jerry specifically said "i'm not paying him to be a bus driver";)
  17. cannonball44

cannonball44 Stephen Peterman's Campaign Manager

567 Messages
    100 Likes Received
    :lmao:
  18. StarBoyz83

StarBoyz83 Well-Known Member

2,997 Messages
    357 Likes Received
    Cant turn tony loose if youre still going to have the worst oc in the nfl calling plays.