1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Starting Today, It's Illegal to Unlock Your Cellphone

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by Jenky, Jan 26, 2013.

1. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,721 Messages
    32 Likes Received
    If anyone cares, you can unlock AT&T and T-Mobile Galaxy S3's without the carrier being able to do a damn thing about it. There is an easy software hack.

I do think it is silly that there is a law against unlocking a phone that you have purchased assuming you have paid your bill and the contract is up.
  2. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,182 Messages
    289 Likes Received
    Isn't that the key though? Your contract has to be up.

Up here, we don't have that law but carriers now allow you to port your number although most just get new phones if they do. However, my company Telus allows me to switch phones at any time but they figure out my savings on the phone, and reduce it by 1/36 every month that passes. I could switch from my present blackberry to say a Samsung Galaxy SIII no problem, just have to pay out balance on my previous phone.

If I switched carriers mid contract, I would pay a penalty, usually 2-3 months bill.
  3. rickjameschinaclub

rickjameschinaclub Benched

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received

You think the price they getting on the phone is anywhere near what your paying for it? Cheap is a relative term.
  4. TheKey

TheKey Faster than Felix

2,612 Messages
    14 Likes Received
  5. TheKey

TheKey Faster than Felix

2,612 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    T-Mo is owned by the German company Deutsche Telekom, which has a presence all over Europe. That's probably why.
  6. rickjameschinaclub

rickjameschinaclub Benched

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    http://www.slate.com/articles/busin...s_paying_more_for_your_phone_is_good_for.html

Looked into this a little bit more: