1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Steeler friend/fan said it best about Romo

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Wood, Dec 31, 2012.

1. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

8,147 Messages
    1,804 Likes Received
    A game manager gets you a future of 5-11 seasons.
  2. Cowboyz88

Cowboyz88 Well-Known Member

3,291 Messages
    304 Likes Received
    Of course, he was there for the taking, but our GM felt like Matt Johnson or Kyle Wilber were more valuable.

Time will tell, but Mr Jones' history on such decisions isn't good.
  3. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

8,659 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    Everyone is stating how the draft is weak in QB's. That's the same mentality that caused Jerry Jones to draft Quincy Carter ... because he felt there were no quality QB's in the upcoming drafts.

Staying with Romo may be inevitable. But that does not preclude us from preparing to move on. After wasting all those draft picks, why not take a shot at a QB? Kapernik (sp) was a 2nd rounder. Russell Wilson was a 3rd rounder. There are players to be found. We simply need to find them.

If we extend Romo, it will be another 4 years of futility. You can chalk up 20 years with a single playoff win. Nothing will change.
  4. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

8,659 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    ... and Tony Romo gives us 4 more years of 8-8 seasons.

Then we can start the future of 5-11 seasons.
  5. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,342 Messages
    406 Likes Received
    I think the easy answer is go with Orton for next year. Trade Romo in offseason. I would also release Ratliff and take the cap hit. It will be difficult year but sometimes you just need to rebuild and take your lumps. The eagles will be doing the same thing.
  6. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

8,659 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    I've defended Romo until my teeth bled. I will no longer defend him.

Last night showed his true colors.

History will view him as just an after-thought.
  7. Boysathelm

Boysathelm Benched

89 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    Well, another reason not to draft a QB this year is that we should first retrofit this team with mandatory upgrades. Fix the trenches in 2013, then bring in a legitimate stud in 2014 with an improved offensive unit waiting for him.
  8. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

8,659 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    I have no problem going with Orton. What's another non-playoff season?

If we can trade Romo for a premium pick, then definitely do it.

But for all the buffoonary that Jerry Jones believes himself to be a football maverick, he does not have the cajones to pull off such a trade. He will play it safe, and extend Tony Romo. When Romo's ready to call it a career, we will still have 1 single playoff win, and we'll be in a $20 million cap hole.
  9. Double

Double New Member

70 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Apart from P.Manning, i wouldnt annoint those rookies yet till they have done it for 3 or more years. One thing everyone forgets is that those teams (seattle, indy, san fran and washington) have better teams and running games around those rookies to take the load off their backs and to mask their mistakes. We counted on Romo to do everything all season. Surely we have to live with some mistakes when we count on him for everything. The way i see it... Tony Romo single-handedly delivered 7 wins this season. If the coaches and the rest of the team would have delivered 3 more wins... we would be in the playoffs.

Romo is 32, that has to be the one genuine reason for wanting him gone, performance wise, he has delivered.
  10. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,342 Messages
    406 Likes Received
    I think we are past point of getting premium pick for Romo. He is obviously mentally damaged goods. Every team in football now knows he short-circuits in elimination games. I think you can get a 3rd round pick ...maybe a 2nd round pick if a team is desperate (hello NY Jets).
  11. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

8,659 Messages
    319 Likes Received

Sigh ... but not when it mattered the most.

7 wins is as good as 1 win ... no playoffs.
  12. FiveRings

FiveRings Well-Known Member

1,760 Messages
    230 Likes Received
    Say what you will regarding his big game status but I'll take regular season success and a disappointment at the end of the season that watching some bum come on and ruin the team
  13. Cowboyz88

Cowboyz88 Well-Known Member

3,291 Messages
    304 Likes Received
    I get that they're rookies and that they may backslide (Newton), but my point is than in one year, those three teams all leap-frogged us to the playoffs (record wise).

Of course I understand that injuries really hurt us this year and that without Romo we may have been looking at 2-5 wins, but you can't deny that those three rookie QBs IMMEDIATELY energized and produced results for their teams.

They clearly helped their teams into the playoffs while ours clearly did not.

Sickens me that the Giant, Skins and Eagles all danced on us on their way to the tournament the past few years while we just laid down.
  14. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

8,147 Messages
    1,804 Likes Received
    That's a future I don't mind having to wait for.
  15. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

6,883 Messages
    1,201 Likes Received
    Rigggghhhtt.... Like his 3 interception and poor play had no negative outcome on the game right? JG just called all bad plays and that made Romo play bad. Man you guys are just full of excuses.
  16. DuceizBak

DuceizBak Active Member

424 Messages
    99 Likes Received
    If Romo goes to the jets. They more than likely go 12-4.
  17. btcutter

btcutter Well-Known Member

2,651 Messages
    155 Likes Received
    I don't even know where to start on this.

Romo LOST all those game all by himself?

How many Dallas teams in those 6/7 actually had a chance to move deep in the playoffs? I honestly count 1 where they were beat by Gmen who won the SB.

Look at theses Dallas teams objectively. This particular team fought gallantly. But this team had ZERO chance in the playoffs with the amount of injuries on the team. You have to be realistic. Team go deep into playoffs has to be fairly healthy along with having good players/coach etc.

I don't disagree with grooming another QB but right now Romo has the lowest trading value and you want to trade him now with no plans in place? This is awful time to make that type of decision.

Chill. Take a break for a week or two. Objectively evaluate the team, FA and draft then make LOGICAL moves.
  18. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,342 Messages
    406 Likes Received
    I am fine with that. I don't wish anything bad for Romo....he just wasn't the right fit for THIS franchise. I hope Romo can find some peace ...it just won't be in Dallas.
  19. Venger

Venger Well-Known Member

2,415 Messages
    287 Likes Received
    Alas I cannot (I don't follow college very much at all), but when I saw now is the time, that also sort of includes last year as well - we need to think now about Romo's replacement, even if he doesn't start for 3 years. Doesn't have to be a blue chip guy, I am sure there are a few QB's who will come out this year under the radar who end up with good NFL careers, there almost always are. But we need to put that on our to do list - otherwise we are going to end up with Orton or Kitna, a true backup that isn't the future.
  20. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

9,172 Messages
    4,282 Likes Received
    i hate jason garrett the OC but regardless of how terrible yesterday's game was called, we were within 3 pts with 3 minutes left with 3 timeouts. we should have won that game. heck if he doesn't throw 2 picks in the 1st half in skins territory then we would have had the lead going into half. romo leaves so many points on the field every game.