1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Steelers’ G.M. says everyone wants to trade down in this draft

Discussion in 'NFL Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Mar 23, 2014.

1. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,864 Messages
    2,342 Likes Received
    if jerry decides to move up in the draft he will just cement his legacy of stupidity

this is a deep draft where in the third round you can pick up starters for a team that is woefully devoid of talent and in need of lunch pail guys who come to play every sunday

trading up in this draft for a shiny toy is an idiotic move, stay at 16 and a legitimate player can be had that wil help this team for a long time. many of you , clamoring for the cowboys to trade up for a pet cat (like barr or donald) may be surprised to find him sitting there at 16, if they are gone, i assure you, there will be some very good players there who can help us

i would venture to suggest that this will be true even in the 21-24 range
  2. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,504 Messages
    409 Likes Received
    You Trade up to 11th Overall for the top rated OT Lewan if he falls (3 misdemeanor assaults) ... for one thing so the Giants don't land him @12.
  3. Death Star

Death Star Member

346 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    [IMG]
  4. Reverend Conehead

Reverend Conehead Well-Known Member

1,058 Messages
    291 Likes Received
    If everyone wants to trade down then it's an up-trader's market. I want to give up one of our three #7s to move up enough to ensure we get either Barr or Donald.

I'm still not convinced that this Steelers GM isn't just blowing smoke, but if it actually is such an up-trader's market, that's what I want to do.
  5. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

51,644 Messages
    5,556 Likes Received
    7th round draft picks have little to no value. Having 3 means we have 3 draft picks with little to no value. Bundling them in an attempt to trade up the 16 pick would only be insulting to a GM and a big waste fo time.
  6. Reverend Conehead

Reverend Conehead Well-Known Member

1,058 Messages
    291 Likes Received
    That's all I would be willing to give up. We need our other picks.
  7. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,507 Messages
    2,387 Likes Received
    Sounds like a GM hoping to move up. :)

I do think with the depth of the draft, many will be looking to trade down oif the value is right.

That does not apply to players like Clowney or Robinson--players that are universally considered elite talents.
    I've always had issue with the QBs in this class, though I still suspect 3-4 will go fairly early.
  8. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,507 Messages
    2,387 Likes Received
    True.
    Even with the flawed trade charts, the value range is just a few points. It'd take 4-6 of them just to move up just from pick 16 to 15. lol

The value is that you can grab a player that may or may not get drafted, and not worry about competing with 31 other teams in the UDFA market.
    Other than that, not too much value really.
  9. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

9,171 Messages
    506 Likes Received
    Or he'll give up too much to move up, and accept too little in a move down.
    Chappy likes this.
  10. CowboysFaninDC

CowboysFaninDC Well-Known Member

2,972 Messages
    151 Likes Received
    I am not surprised. outside of clowney who has his own question marks and is a risk (motivation), there is no consensus number one pick. the value is between 5-20. If it wasn't frowned upon, you take one of the OTs or Sammy Watkins and you would get a sure bet like Jimmy Johnson did by picking Maryland. take a sure thing because there is too much risk in everything else. I have a feeling all three QBs will drop to the teens and 20's because of lesson learned from a couple of years back with three QBs going in the top 10 and not working out.
  11. Hardline

Hardline Well-Known Member

853 Messages
    353 Likes Received
    So the Steelers GM just basically said what we all believed for months. Rocket Science I tell you.