1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Stephen Jones: ‘Too many schemes’ caused 'Boys to replace Rob Ryan with Monte Kiffin

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Feb 20, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

63,382 Messages
    2,231 Likes Received
    More than a month after the organization tossed Ryan to the curb and brought Kiffin into the fold, Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones said the change that was made was a “tough decision.”

But he also added it was made with long-term considerations in mind.

“I think Rob is a very smart guy,” Jones said. “His schemes are very sound. There are a lot of schemes. That becomes a question. We made a tough decision. We felt like too many schemes can cause problems regardless of how good they are and how sound they are. If there is more than the players can digest in this day and time – as you don’t keep players for long, they move on and you have injuries – you just had to make a decision. And we made a tough one.”

Jones’ comment came after he was asked if the simplicity of Kiffin’s 4-3 scheme was an attractive selling point when they contemplated hiring him.

Ryan attempted to streamline his playbook and later admitted that he may have tried to install too many schemes before the Cowboys could establish a comfort level with the most basic ones.

Read more: http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2...remove-rob-ryan-replace-him-with-kiffin.html/
  2. StarBoyz83

StarBoyz83 Well-Known Member

2,658 Messages
    219 Likes Received
    Well that does make sense to me. I just hope this works out! Im not big on signing a DC who wasnt very good in college. Plus almost all top defenses run a 3-4 but I dont mind the switch. 4-3 seems like it'd suit this team better.
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

73,858 Messages
    974 Likes Received
    Yet has won a SB. I tend to agree with a statement Kiffin made, 3-4/4-3 there are 11 guys on defense and the key is getting them to play as a 1. Play hard, smart and fast.

I like Rob but my biggest complaint was how often he would use 3 man rushes. You get a team in a sure passing situation and we turn around and rush 3? Other teams will put you in a passing situation and then get after the QB we didn't we sat back and allowed QB's all day to find the open man.
  4. StarBoyz83

StarBoyz83 Well-Known Member

2,658 Messages
    219 Likes Received
    Thats true I noticed that a lot too.
  5. Doomsay

Doomsay Well-Known Member

5,499 Messages
    609 Likes Received
    The multiple schemes did seem to be a problem, but to be fair, the offense didn't seem to be any more "on the same page" as the defense over the past 2 seasons.

The three man rush was hard to comprehend.
  6. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    I thought a couple weeks ago we fired Rob because we lost to Detroit or something.
  7. WoodysGirl

63,382 Messages
    2,231 Likes Received
    The word that came out immediately on twitter was that they thought his schemes were unsound.

Now they're saying they're sound, but he had too many of 'em.

Either way, sounds like they lost faith in the effectiveness of Rob's defense.
  8. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

2,465 Messages
    172 Likes Received
    That was last week. This is this week's version.

Pretty sure Ryan was hired because he ran a dynamic multiple front / scheme defense.
  9. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    My bad it was Seattle and Chicago.

Basically Jerry just can't shut up I guess.

Unsound schemes - sound schemes but too many schemes - played poorly when healthy. Ok whatever lets see what Kiffin can do.
  10. AMERICAS_FAN

AMERICAS_FAN Active Member

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It's not just the number of schemes but the philosophical approach.

You're right that rushing only 3 happened too often and that that's a problem.

DL Coach, Leon Lett, recently said that Ryan's 3-4 was a read-and-react philosophy up front. So basically it's not just rushing 3, they're not even rushing.

In Kiffin's 4-3, Lett said we're going back to the days of attacking the QB first, with the DL and adjusting later - on the run to the QB - much like how defense was played in Dallas when Lett played.

So it's not just about number of schemes. The 3-4 is simply a better defense.
  11. WoodysGirl

63,382 Messages
    2,231 Likes Received
    Well, I knew you were referring to Seattle and Chicago...

In twtter world, and subsequent articles, there were suggestions of unsound schemes, but nothing on the record.

In official, on the record news, there were too many schemes.

So, from my standpoint, Rob was a goner.
  12. the_h0wey

the_h0wey Active Member

898 Messages
    34 Likes Received
    But he also added it was made with long-term considerations in mind.

Did they not know the guy they hired is 74?
  13. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    Essentially in Kiffin's 4-3 we're going to be running Wade's defense with slightly different personnel. All the scheme changes will be in the back end. If Kiffin is honest about how we're going to play like Seattle you'll see five man fronts alot with the SOLB being a pass rusher alot of the time, gap shooting D.

So we went from Parcells read and react two gap, to Wade's one gap five rushers D, back to a read and react front with even less blitzing, back to a one-gap rushing system with five rushers. Schizophrenia, thy name is Dallas's defensive front scheme.
  14. dadymat

dadymat I'm kind of a Big Deal

6,022 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    you seem to be feeding at the media trough .....
  15. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    You mean the Jerry trough? You can argue he's full of crap and just says whatever comes in his head but those quotes weren't invented - he said that stuff.
  16. dadymat

6,022 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    ummm....sorry ...No he didnt
  17. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

26,585 Messages
    2,747 Likes Received
    I put this 'confusion' about why we let Ryan go in the same bucket I put us hiring Houston Nutt for RB coach in.

Obviously, the reasons we let him go when we let him go are the same reasons we let him go in retrospect. The only thing that's changed is the amount of clarifying information about the move available to the press.
  18. Matts4313

Matts4313 Active Member

267 Messages
    107 Likes Received
  19. superpunk

superpunk Benched

26,328 Messages
    73 Likes Received
    oh ok I guess they made up all these quotes. My bad.
  20. dadymat

6,022 Messages
    1 Likes Received

direct me to the quote of Jerry saying Ryan was fired because of the Detroit, Bears or Seahawk games?

and if your gonna throw out the comments he made in the Mickey interview save it....that was said before Ryan was fired and was in response about the teams performance...not Ryans...Ryan wasnt the question.....the statements were taking and inserted into agenda driven dribble