1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Stephen Jones: ‘Too many schemes’ caused 'Boys to replace Rob Ryan with Monte Kiffin

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,735 Messages
    5,267 Likes Received
    Sadly, that's the hand we've been dealt.
  2. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

27,768 Messages
    3,758 Likes Received
    You think it was SJ's call?
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

74,861 Messages
    1,511 Likes Received
    Makes no difference as to the why Rob was fired. Seldom in the NFL are HC or organizations going to rip a guy after they fire him. They will compliment them and talk about a new direction or something of that nature. People getting worked up over the reason why must not follow the NFL closely. :laugh2:

I don't blame Ryan for the season but I can't say I was impressed by him either. I expected a much more aggressive defense and that is not what he delivered.
  4. Woods

Woods Active Member

12,374 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    :D

As cynical as I can be at times, I don't see this being SJ's call.
  5. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

48,176 Messages
    2,763 Likes Received
    Way more than we know and will ever be made public.
  6. Idgit

27,768 Messages
    3,758 Likes Received
    Me, either. :)
  7. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

11,589 Messages
    609 Likes Received
    IIRC, Broaddus discussed on the radio really questioning Ryan's schemes and tactics back in November. You know he just didn't get that all on his own and that the team scouts were giving him this information that they weren't happy with Ryan's schemes.

I think Jerry and Co. are trying to be polite with Rob as they should be. And I still like Rob, but I feel that Kiffin is a better D-C (so is Marinelli). And I think they had a problem with his schemes in general and they were also looking to go with something simpler to combat their concerns with less practice time set forth by the CBA causing more injuries.

YR
  8. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,125 Messages
    1,763 Likes Received
    nope

the "Dallas Hive Mind" made this decision (just like many others) where everyone makes decisions but no one is responsible for said decisions
  9. Idgit

27,768 Messages
    3,758 Likes Received
    Which bee in that hive would you rather see making the calls?
  10. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

74,861 Messages
    1,511 Likes Received
    The organization is responsible for the decision, Rob did not fire himself. Jerry, Stephen and Garrett are responsible as they make up the top of the organization.
  11. GimmeTheBall!

GimmeTheBall! Junior College Transfer

12,300 Messages
    490 Likes Received
    Bravo, Stephen.

In Landry's glory years, smash-mouth football did him well.
    Then he got into the finesse years, the flex, blah-blah-blah. He quickly learned that fundamental, tough defense (not reacting to what the opposing team serves us, thus wagging the dog) wins games, not defensive witchcraft or high powered schemes with voluminous playbook (like Ryan brought with him).

When the opposing team passes, knock down the ball or hit the QB and/or the receiver hard. When the opposing team runs, stop it there. Simple. Fundamental. Things that never go out of style.

I want smash-mouth football like Jimma had, not the intellectual schemes that Ryan's not-so-intelligent players could not learn quickly enough.
  12. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

19,735 Messages
    5,267 Likes Received
    And that's the mentality that has to change in order for this team to really change.

Oh, the head coach will be held accountable eventually, but until there's accountability in the front office we're just spinning our wheels.
  13. dfan32

dfan32 Member

259 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    I saw this same article, or atleast these same quotes being attributed to JERRY Jones today. Wonder who actually said it? Lazy reporters.