1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Stephen Jones is a terrible negotiator

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Zordon, May 9, 2014.

1. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,609 Messages
    2,486 Likes Received
    I have to say that Adams post makes me feel better about the trade. Theorycrafting is one thing but an empirical basis is always preferable.
  2. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Well-Known Member

6,105 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    Far too many of you guys are still trying to look at the draft as an exact science. It isn't and never will be. To hell with points on a chart. Teams have to trust their scouts and coaches and make their picks based on their evaluations. Not on message board posters' desires. They obviously thought Lawrence was worth what they gave up. They might be right or they might be wrong, but people in those positions have to make those types of decisions. I know it's been said far too often, but I don't see anybody on this board on an NFL payroll. Quit *****ing and crying and see how it turns out on the field.
    WV Cowboy likes this.
  3. Star4Ever

6,105 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    What if they just happen to coincide?
  4. Star4Ever

6,105 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    This isn't the stock market. It's football. Risk management? Bull crap. Draft the players you think can be productive for YOUR football team. Period.
  5. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    Will McClay prefers a little of both. BPA with a consideration for need.
  6. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,609 Messages
    2,486 Likes Received
    I would say this was a good argument but it isn't.
  7. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,291 Messages
    4,609 Likes Received
    Stephen Jones admitted that the over paid a tad for the Trade,
  8. 187beatdown

187beatdown Lack of Big Plays

4,066 Messages
    665 Likes Received
    We need immediate help on the defensive line not another Max Unger scenario. No problem with the trade unfortunately that's just how it plays out sometimes.
    Kaiser likes this.
  9. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    Did he? That would be mighty interesting.
  10. nake

nake Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,599 Messages
    1,022 Likes Received
    A point system has emerged because it's always nice to quantify anything that is subject to comparison because it makes it much easier. However, there is no denying that if Demarcus Lawrence turns out to be a stud pass rusher, we got him cheap, with the not inconsiderable bonus of the Redskins having helped facilitate the acquisition. If he is a flop, we gave too much.
  11. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,291 Messages
    4,609 Likes Received
    According to the guys on the fans he did. I know he was talking to the for a bit on air but I was busy doing stuff so I did not catch it all.
  12. Star4Ever

6,105 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    I need to quickly search the net for a picture of that Captain Obvious character on the hotel commercials.
  13. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

7,295 Messages
    1,467 Likes Received
    That means he overpaid A LOT.
    Last edited: May 9, 2014
  14. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

3,541 Messages
    1,224 Likes Received
    Here ya go

[IMG]
  15. nake

nake Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,599 Messages
    1,022 Likes Received
    You know, if that point was so obvious, I'm thinking we wouldn't have had an all-day discussion of point values. The real value of a player is found in how well he plays his position in the NFL, not how many points were gained or lost in getting him off the board and into Valley Ranch, IMO. And right now, that can't be known, so we just have to wait.

ETA: In other words, I really don't like losing our 3rd round pick, but I can't say today it was wasted, because I don't really know. The proof will be in the pudding.
  16. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

1,403 Messages
    536 Likes Received
    Thanks so much for posting Adam, that's great info.

It's interesting because the old Jimmy chart basically did the same thing from what I understand, reflecting how trades had gone in the league using a few years data in the mid-late 80's. The nice thing about the one you posted is that it is obviously more current, but it has 4-5 times as much data to work with as the old chart. Very nice.
  17. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,758 Messages
    705 Likes Received
    Real front offices? You mean the one that gave up 3 firsts and a second for RGIII? The one that took the picks they got from us and took Murphy and Long? We were in a bidding war with Atlanta for a player we very much wanted and needed, so the price was driven up. I don't like giving up a 3rd either, and time will tell if it was a smart move, but judging the FO based on a very limited perspective is just that...limited. There's always more to the story.
    rocyaice likes this.
  18. Texas_Pete

Texas_Pete Well-Known Member

1,207 Messages
    344 Likes Received
    LINK
  19. btcutter

btcutter Well-Known Member

2,803 Messages
    247 Likes Received
    I keep hearing this Atlanta thing. Does someone from Atlanta confirm this or just a rumor.
  20. KB1122

KB1122 Well-Known Member

1,386 Messages
    308 Likes Received
    Charlotte got the looks and the brains.