1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Stephen Jones: Jerry Jones still heavily involved in Dallas Cowboys’ personnel decisions

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Alexander, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

24,638 Messages
    4,902 Likes Received
    Stephen Jones: Jerry Jones still heavily involved in Dallas Cowboys’ personnel decisions

By Jon Machota
    jmachota@dallasnews.com
    7:26 pm on March 21, 2014 |

Pump the brakes on the idea that Dallas Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones is allowing his son, executive vice president Stephen Jones, to call most of the shots at Valley Ranch.

The Cowboys signed free agent defensive tackle Henry Melton on Wednesday. On Thursday, Melton said he didn’t interact with Jerry while visiting with the Cowboys. Melton said Stephen was the point man while Jerry was away on a business trip.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/2...d-in-dallas-cowboys-personnel-decisions.html/
    Air Force One likes this.
  2. maxdallasfan

maxdallasfan Well-Known Member

1,209 Messages
    458 Likes Received
    Bull. This is only what Jerry wants the media to hear.
  3. Alexander

24,638 Messages
    4,902 Likes Received
    [IMG]
  4. Nav22

Nav22 Well-Known Member

5,345 Messages
    952 Likes Received
    Just as I've always suspected.

Jerry wants the credit even though he is NOT the sole decision-maker like so many want to believe. He wasn't even in town when Melton was here. His GM title is merely a title to ensure that he'll get his share of the credit/blame, but he's not breaking down film and he's certainly not stupid enough to make decisions on a whim which contradict what the scouting department tells him.
  5. Alexander

24,638 Messages
    4,902 Likes Received
    It is just an elaborate ruse right now. You are right.

Why any team would want to play shell games with how the power structure works is beyond me, but obviously you have it all figured out.

Just like he was at the X-Games etc.

I don't know about you, but even when I am not in the office, I am on the phone and answer emails.

But since Jerry Jones was not physically there, it means he is just a figurehead with no stroke whatsoever.
    Air Force One likes this.
  6. Nav22

Nav22 Well-Known Member

5,345 Messages
    952 Likes Received
    Marinelli clearly wanted Melton, Stephen did the contract (actually, he does ALL the contracts).

Jerry signs the checks and has the final say because it's his team. If you want to believe he's making solo decisions left and right, that's your business. The evidence suggests otherwise, but hey, you're allowed to pray to invisible apes in the sky too. To each his own.
  7. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,299 Messages
    4,462 Likes Received
    Sounds like biz as usual.
  8. Nirvana

Nirvana Well-Known Member

4,059 Messages
    1,103 Likes Received
  9. GloryDaysRBack

GloryDaysRBack Well-Known Member

9,332 Messages
    745 Likes Received
    Reminds me of the time when people thought Garrett was well respected around the league

It's still funny now
  10. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,423 Messages
    1,297 Likes Received
    Championship
    Zordon likes this.
  11. SilverStarCowboy

SilverStarCowboy The Actualist

7,497 Messages
    406 Likes Received
    Go Cowboys!
  12. khiladi

khiladi Well-Known Member

11,921 Messages
    1,977 Likes Received
    O yay! I'm looking forward to the day Stephen Jones really shines in a role he has qualified for on the strength of his own merit and not because he's in any way related to Jerry...
  13. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,605 Messages
    1,875 Likes Received
    You'll be looking a long long time.
  14. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,716 Messages
    1,397 Likes Received
    I don't see him pushing a broom any time soon
    khiladi and daveferr33 like this.
  15. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,567 Messages
    835 Likes Received
    Jerry is becoming senile, the more they insist he's in charge, the more he's actually drifting off, which is a good thing.
    BoysFan4ever likes this.
  16. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,514 Messages
    2,102 Likes Received
    So Jerry is still a moron and has learned nothing from a decade and a half of failures?

Giants, eagles, and skins fans rejoice
  17. Beast_from_East

Beast_from_East Well-Known Member

14,829 Messages
    2,484 Likes Received
    I have not heard any other GMs refer to their head coaches as "trainees" lately.

Well respected indeed.................LOL
    khiladi and visionary like this.
  18. yentl911

yentl911 Well-Known Member

1,606 Messages
    313 Likes Received
    I don't think things have changed one bit and will not until JJ is taking a dirt nap. He is a proud man that has invested everything into this organization and he wants to win a SB by himself. Like it or not, that is the deal I'm afraid.
    dupree89 likes this.
  19. waving monkey

waving monkey Well-Known Member

1,984 Messages
    748 Likes Received
    people who actually are inside the "business" do respect Red.
  20. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,684 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    You act like "writing the checks" and "having the final say" are comparable ministerial duties every run-of-the-mill owner is tasked with. And I don't think anyone believes Jerry is sitting in a film room by himself and making personnel decisions without the input of the staff. That's a red herring. But if you don't think it's a big deal that Jerry "has the final say" and has the "final pencil to the paper" on important personnel decisions, to the point where he overrules the coaching staff or scouting department, then you got bigger issues than praying to invisible apes in the sky.