1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Stephen Jones: Jerry Jones still heavily involved in Dallas Cowboys’ personnel decisions

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Alexander, Mar 21, 2014.

1. DallasEast

DallasEast Cowboys 24/7/365 Zone Supporter

28,268 Messages
    1,786 Likes Received
  2. nake

nake Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

4,324 Messages
    912 Likes Received
    I think if anyone is wondering how Jerry will go out, Al Davis would be a pretty good template, although that doesn't mean he can't live out his years with grace and dignity and do some good things with the team. Jerry, like Al, has had so much power for so long it is part of his being.

I personally would trust Stephen more if he called Jerry "my dad" instead of "Jerry". I've never known anyone who called their father by his first name.
  3. Nav22

Nav22 Well-Known Member

5,338 Messages
    929 Likes Received
    Um, except he generally DOESN'T overrule the coaching staff or scouting department, and the very fact that he isn't the one breaking down film and making those personnel suggestions (which eventually come to fruition) is further proof that his GM title is merely a title.

Henry Melton was a Rod Marinelli-endorsed idea and Stephen did the contract... but Jerry will get all the blame if that signing fails. Why? Because he's the easy target, that's why. Toss logic and reason out the window when it comes to fans' Jerry-hatred.
  4. AmberBeer

AmberBeer Well-Known Member

3,006 Messages
    1,052 Likes Received
    He does this every draft the most recent example was drafting Escobar. Jerry's actually the poster child for this.
    visionary and peplaw06 like this.
  5. AmberBeer

AmberBeer Well-Known Member

3,006 Messages
    1,052 Likes Received
    And toss logic and reasoning out the window for those with blind homerisim. If you don't think Jerry's responsible for the mess of this team, well, you must be Jerry.
    peplaw06 likes this.
  6. RS12

RS12 Well-Known Member

14,396 Messages
    1,263 Likes Received
    You forgot deaf and dumb.
    visionary likes this.
  7. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,481 Messages
    8,380 Likes Received
    Well, I think it's the professional thing to do to refer to his dad by name when talking to the media. I don't have a problem with it.
  8. jday

jday Well-Known Member

2,840 Messages
    701 Likes Received
    The one line of this article that meant the most to me: "Obviously we’ll be looking in the draft as well to help us out."
  9. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,681 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    Oh good lord... you're beyond all help.

ONE signing gets made where the guy says Jerry wasn't involved, and you think it justifies your delusion that Jerry is just a figurehead. GM is merely a title... LOL Go sell that load somewhere else.
    Zordon and visionary like this.
  10. Nav22

Nav22 Well-Known Member

5,338 Messages
    929 Likes Received
    Source?
  11. Nav22

Nav22 Well-Known Member

5,338 Messages
    929 Likes Received
    One signing? If you paid any attention to your favorite team you'd know that Stephen does ALL the contracts now.

And since it's already been established that Jerry's not the one poring over film and evaluating talent, that means the scouting isn't Jerry's doing either.

Doesn't do the scouting. Doesn't do the contracts.

Do the math, if you're capable. Simple arithmetic.
  12. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,681 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    So the only thing involved in the GMs duties with personnel is film scouting and contracts? Gotcha.
  13. Bullflop

Bullflop Well-Known Member

2,234 Messages
    572 Likes Received
    It really seems increasingly evident nowadays that Stephen Jones is heavily involved in the preservation of Papa Jerry's image.
  14. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

6,184 Messages
    1,965 Likes Received
    Too many former associates have all said Jerry is a great guy and listens to everyone.

Then when there is a dispute he makes the final call.

Several things.

1. When would there not be a dispute since both sides of the ball want different things? Rarely. I cannot imagine an offensive line coach is promoting a defensive tackle in a meeting because he sees the vision.

2. Jerry wasn't there? So there is this device called a telephone. Some people even have ones they carry around and make calls from just about anywhere but the South Pole. So Jerry being there isn't a requisite for Jerry having input. Did Jerry delegate the choir of acquiring Melton to anyone not in his inner circle?

And just FYI, Garrett is not in that inner circle unless Jerry sired a redheaded step-child.

Which would answer so many questions.

A few weeks ago there was an article here and Jerry stated without any qualms that he is the eye of the storm and the decision maker on this team. Even the new guy who is tasked with creating a competitive team said his main job is

...to get everyone on the same page so Jerry can make the call.

I said then in that thread - that was moved because of the usual whining by some - that this will come up in a few weeks when another article comes out and is vague about the final decision resting in the shaky hands of Jerry-atric Jones.

All I have to say is this.

Madame Cleo ain't got nothing on me.

Stop rewriting history.
    tantrix1969 likes this.
  15. Nav22

Nav22 Well-Known Member

5,338 Messages
    929 Likes Received
    Those are HUGE parts of the job, dude.
  16. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,623 Messages
    1,570 Likes Received

I think nav22 is Charlotte.
    TwoDeep3 likes this.
  17. peplaw06

peplaw06 That Guy

13,681 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    They are huge parts of the job for most GMs. They're not for Jerry. He delegates the film study because he can't do it. He delegates the contracts so Stephen has something to do.

So you acknowledge that he doesn't study film on draft prospects... Does he have final say on who to draft? By his own admission, he does. Do you think that's right? Do you think that it's right that the scouts who put months and months of time in studying film and watching the prospects play in person can be overruled by a GM who doesn't do those things? Or does it make you feel good that the loudest coach or scout on draft day can convince Jerry to go off the draft board? Do those things give you confidence in the GMs abilities?
    Seven likes this.
  18. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,259 Messages
    566 Likes Received
    Ding! Ding! Ding!!

Tell him what he's won, Johnny,..............
    Nirvana likes this.
  19. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,259 Messages
    566 Likes Received
    Nice!! Preach it brother Pep!!
  20. Nav22

Nav22 Well-Known Member

5,338 Messages
    929 Likes Received
    I have no reason to believe Jerry regularly does any of those things. But since it sounds like you're convinced that Jerry's regularly vetoing the scouts and coaches, I'll assume that you have an abundance of evidence to prove this perception of yours is accurate. I'm all ears.