1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Twitter: Stephen Jones Media Session - 03/24/14 (Orton's return, Melton 2015 decision, Spencer)

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Mar 24, 2014.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

66,708 Messages
    6,474 Likes Received
    Calvin Watkins ‏@calvinwatkins 4m
    Stephen Jones says he expects Kyle Orton to return in 2014.
    Jones said the signing of Brandon Weeden had no baring on Orton's potential departure.
    Anthony Spencer is rehabbing at Valley Ranch and the Cowboys would like to bring him back but aren't in a hurry right now.

Clarence Hill ‏@clarencehilljr 3m
    Stephen jones disagrees with mark Cuban on the future of the nfl. Says they studied the saturation issue before expanding tv package
    The cowboys will make a decision on henry melton 21 days before the start of league year in 2015 when his contract is guaranteed
    Stephen jones says kyle Orton will be back next year. That's his understanding from talking to his agent

Nick Eatman ‏@nickeatman 4m
    Cowboys executive VP Stephen Jones says Mark Cuban is a smart guy but hopes he's wrong about NFL's future
  2. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

66,708 Messages
    6,474 Likes Received
    Calvin Watkins ‏@calvinwatkins 1m
    Stephen Jones said Tony Romo hasn't started throwing yet but is on target for the offseason program.
    Agent David Dunn said his client Kyle Orton is coming back. There was never an issue.

Clarence Hill ‏@clarencehilljr 25s
    Agent david Dunn said kyle Orton will play in 2014 and there no never a consideration that he wouldn't play.
  3. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

3,088 Messages
    1,284 Likes Received
    So think we'll go three QBs or dump Weeden?
  4. panchucko

panchucko We have a pretty good offense Zone Supporter

2,020 Messages
    173 Likes Received
    I think we go three qbs as much as i hate it, but no way you go into season with just 2 qb, Romo and his back have to be a concern
    dallasdave likes this.
  5. Galian Beast

Galian Beast Well-Known Member

9,135 Messages
    1,355 Likes Received
    Having Weeden let's you reduce Romo's role and focus more on recovery... I wouldn't be surprised if they brought another QB in for training camp, usually they have 4.
  6. CowboysLaw87

CowboysLaw87 Active Member

598 Messages
    216 Likes Received
    Romo's reps will be limited in OTA's and camp. Weeden helps with that. If Weeden impresses, we probably keep 3 QB's, and if he doesn't impress, it's back to 2.

This was merely a smart way to create a free look at a guy who was pretty highly regarded just 2 years ago.
  7. Denim Chicken

3,088 Messages
    1,284 Likes Received
    I would rather have targeted Tavaris Jackson i/o of Weeden. Heard Oakland may dump him.
  8. Fletch

Fletch To The Moon

9,857 Messages
    1,023 Likes Received
    No thanks to Tavaris.
    Galian Beast and CowboyMike like this.
  9. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

24,693 Messages
    4,966 Likes Received
    I assume you mean Terrelle Pryor.
    Denim Chicken likes this.
  10. warrior43

warrior43 Member

260 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    What is Orton worth in a trade? Does anyone think anybody would give up anything? Trade orton for like a 6th round pick to a team like Green Bay. They do not have a backup QB right now. Actually they might still have Flynn under contract
  11. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,228 Messages
    7,021 Likes Received
    I don't care what anybody says, I think that Weeden signing was a free veteran insurance policy in case Orton wanted to shake a bit of extra cash post-Romo-surgery out of Jerry's pockets. Now, he's competition with whoever we pickup in the draft or CFA to see if either of them deserve a developmental spot on the roster.
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2014
    Corso likes this.
  12. chicago JK

chicago JK Well-Known Member

1,607 Messages
    170 Likes Received
    No surprising he wants that last check..as we all would. I don't think you would get much, if anything for him. I would just like the cap room though. Not us re how that would work but I don't think the cowboys need to spend a couple million on a backup QB like him.
  13. Corso

Corso Well-Known Member

2,417 Messages
    1,595 Likes Received
    I can definitely see that.
    Good post. Something I didn't consider...
    Idgit likes this.
  14. Fredd

Fredd Well-Known Member

3,872 Messages
    1,463 Likes Received
    I can't see carrying 3 QB's unless tony doesn't make it out of camp on time...then, you have weeden to back up orton...if tony is healthy, weeden battles orton...
  15. Denim Chicken

3,088 Messages
    1,284 Likes Received
    Yeah, lol. Not the fatty.
  16. Next Years Champ

Next Years Champ Active Member

504 Messages
    182 Likes Received
    We go 2 QBs..

that's the price you pay if you have a QB like Romo.

Depending on if and when that might occur..

Romo going down again..

having 2 QBs to work with would seem much more desirable.

We really don't know what we have in Orton and Weeden is a guy who probably could come in and play quickly without a lot of prep seeing how that's how it worked for him in Cleveland.

Orton, but for one game last year has sat for 2+ years now without being really tested.
  17. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

9,511 Messages
    1,649 Likes Received
    This year I think they go with 3 QB's. Garrett was on Sirius XM radio. Even though he said they are looking at Weeden as a developmental type QB he throws the ball very well. Just needs some refinement. Or something to that effect.

My opinion, he's an insurance policy as he has NFL starting experience, and was not well coached in Cleveland, he was thrown into the fire. He can correct those issues and develop in Dallas.
    If something does happen to Romo, then Orton. At least they won't need to scramble to bring in another QB like last year, then signed Kitna. Which I was ok with. But do you really want them going through that again?
  18. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    Oh dear, a 31 year old developmental qb? Weeden needs far more than just refinement, and the coaching comment is laughable considering he spent time under everyone's favorite OC and QB guru.
  19. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

9,511 Messages
    1,649 Likes Received
    Didn't say I agreed, just passing on what I heard.
    I said earlier in the year, unless a QB drops to them in the draft, I don't see them picking a QB this year. They will wait until next years draft before getting a QB for the future.
    I don't think Weeden is intended to eventually replace Romo, not even for short term. But as a capable back up, yes, I can see that, but needs some development obviously.
    I don't think Garrett's comments should be taken that way, but they will.
  20. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

9,045 Messages
    464 Likes Received
    $2 mil to hold a clip board? Why the heck not? I'll do for half that amount ... :)