1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Stephen Jones on evaluating core group

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Nov 29, 2012.

1. garrett316

garrett316 Well-Known Member

2,462 Messages
    169 Likes Received
    Jethro Bodine mentions they are going to be real tight against the cap in 2013, so I'm not sure "numbers" are a strong suit for him either.
  2. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,297 Messages
    6,256 Likes Received
    I stand corrected.
  3. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,665 Messages
    666 Likes Received
    Honestly, I think he is waiting for the chance to make that call on his own, instead of having to twist daddy's arm to do it.
  4. fifaguy

fifaguy Well-Known Member

3,945 Messages
    508 Likes Received
    How many guys can they unload on this basis?
  5. Manster54

Manster54 Active Member

853 Messages
    50 Likes Received
    More dead cap space, please?
  6. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,160 Messages
    436 Likes Received
    It's all talk, no one will be released. They may restructure contacts, but you cn bet come week 1 of the 2013 season. Doug Free, Miles Austin and Jay Ratliff will in in the starting line-up.
  7. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,329 Messages
    2,209 Likes Received
    I think Stephen Jones is a little more grounded than Jerry.

Jerry loves each and every player that wears the star.

Stephen?

Not so much.
  8. starfrombirth

starfrombirth Well-Known Member

3,762 Messages
    399 Likes Received
    He's not going to make his dad look bad no matter what. What do you expect from him.
  9. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,867 Messages
    3,805 Likes Received
    I can't speak to Garrett's respect around the league, but I think it says alot about Stephen that he's on the NFL's Competition Committee.

I don't think they just put anyone on those committees. JMO, tho.
  10. Risen Star

20,297 Messages
    6,256 Likes Received
    That may be true but it takes more than that to be effective at what he does. It'll take more than that to be a successful GM if that's what he's planning to do someday.

Can he evaluate talent? I haven't seen evidence of it.

Can he effectively manage the cap? Not from what I've seen.

People hope Stephen is better but we haven't seen anything since he's been here that he's anything other than Jerry's son.
  11. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

11,937 Messages
    623 Likes Received
    The only guy that is even close to having a great season is Dez Bryant, which is sad. Romo would to if the line was better

Everybody else has stunk(Except those hurt, Carter, Lee, church ect). Yes even you Ware.
  12. rickjameschinaclub

rickjameschinaclub Benched

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Hey Stephen... How about your boy red-genius getting paid to have a great season, but downright sucking? Do you have to look at that, although I know, he's your boy?
  13. 187beatdown

187beatdown Lack of Big Plays

3,500 Messages
    416 Likes Received
    How do you even go about evalutating Stephen on his own? I mean I don't think he's anything special either but all of the final decisions (talent, contracts) could just be Jerry, how do we know how much influence Stephen even has?

Again, I don't think he's some sort of savior just because of things he's said during interviews and press conferences, but let's give him a fair shake.
  14. rickjameschinaclub

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    :bow:
  15. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,662 Messages
    2,363 Likes Received
    Yep. (Though I think Jerry has been on there, too.) But Jimmy Johnson and Parcells have spoken highly of Stephen, which you can't say for Jerry.

Truth is, we have no idea how much pull Stephen has at this point. For all we know, he wants to do things differently, but he can't do that yet.

I still think he'll be better than Jerry if only because he doesn't seem to be nearly the hardcore salesman that his dad is.
  16. Manster54

Manster54 Active Member

853 Messages
    50 Likes Received

:gassy1:
  17. Risen Star

20,297 Messages
    6,256 Likes Received
    That committee has nothing to do with personnel expertise and/or team building, which is what we're talking about here. I don't want the architect of my football whose only claim to fame is being on a committee in charge of rules changes. I want him to be an actual proven success in personnel.

I know there are several proven personnel experts on that committee but Stephen isn't guilty by association. He's an owner's son with no track record of any success.
  18. rickjameschinaclub

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I call BS on this, simply because Stephen Jones was in his mid-twenties when JJ was coaching, meaning JJs insight into how good Stephen Jones is based upon how much he or the league respects Stephen Jones, seems to just be common speak. The same really can be said of Bill Parcells, who himself never bad-mouthed Jerry during his tenure here and spoke highly of the organization, including Jerry. The reality is, Jerry has a LOT of pull around this league himself, so he can have his son be in positions because of his connections. And as Risen Star points it, that committee has little relevance to Stephen Jones in relation to building a team.

He shares that common line to success as Garrett, i.e. nepotism.
  19. Risen Star

20,297 Messages
    6,256 Likes Received
    That's why I said I haven't seen any evidence of it. For years it was considered the poorly kept secret that Jerry sucks but Stephen is the answer. Oh how great it will be then. You should be asking those people how they could possibly know that since anything Stephen has ever been in charge of has been as poorly managed as anything you can accuse of Jerry.

The guy has headed our cap and personnel for years. We've been a team with cap and talent issues for years. I just don't see any sound reason to get excited about a future under Stephen Jones.
  20. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    He said that they look at it. That doesn't mean that they were going to do a damn thing
    About it.