1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Stephen Jones on evaluating core group

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Nov 29, 2012.

1. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,745 Messages
    10,041 Likes Received
    I'd say you pretty much nailed it.

Especially Jimmy. How could he possibly say anything substantial about Stephen when he had no hand in what he's doing now in the personnel department when Jimmy was here? Seems like your routine compliment you throw out there to be respectful. Now ask him if he would hire Stephen to run his football team.
  2. Manster54

Manster54 Active Member

854 Messages
    51 Likes Received

Nice point and counter point.

I hold out hope that Stephen will step back into the owner role and hire a GM when Jerry dies.
  3. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,064 Messages
    956 Likes Received
    It's all we have.
  4. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    BS that he said it, or that he meant it?

And Stephen is 48, so he'd have been 29-30 when Jimmy left.

I didn't mean to say he was picking players, either. The way I remember it, Jimmy was just talking to his overall intelligence.

And RisenStar... Garrett doesn't have a track record either, or if he does it's a bad one. Yet you think the world of him. Seems that argument is very selective.
  5. rickjameschinaclub

rickjameschinaclub Benched

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    That he meant it... Even 29-30, I don't remember him being part of this organization and for JJ to actually speak highly of him goes against essentially whatever he has said now, which is he was in full control over all personnel decisions while here. I'm sure he didn't even notice Stephen Jones, who was probably just walking in and out of Valley Ranch when he wasn't golphing or partying.
  6. Chocolate Lab

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Okay, well again, I didn't mean to imply that Stephen had any input in picking players whatsoever. It was more a general impression, that he was a smart young guy and not as headstrong and egomaniacal as his dad. I think I even remember some reports that Parcells asked about the job when he was thinking about coming here, and Jimmy said you'll like Stephen.
  7. fifaguy

fifaguy Well-Known Member

4,907 Messages
    984 Likes Received
    Surely they can cut someone at the bottom of the roster to show that they mean business:)
  8. Risen Star

22,745 Messages
    10,041 Likes Received
    If he's that smart, he'll immediately hire a GM when he takes over.
  9. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,273 Messages
    541 Likes Received
    It was nice knowing you......Armstrong
  10. noshame

noshame Who wouldn't follow me? Zone Supporter

3,612 Messages
    863 Likes Received
    Good, I hope they blow the thing up and rebuild the offense, long with the HC, and DC, and lest we forget our all-star ST coach.
  11. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,064 Messages
    956 Likes Received
    Again, that's all we have.
  12. Risen Star

22,745 Messages
    10,041 Likes Received
    Garrett's a 2nd year head coach who got there being a coordinator, before that an assistant coach and before that a player. He's earned his way. If he doesn't start to perform soon he'll be gone. He's held accountable.

Stephen's been here for two decades, his only qualification sharing a genetic code with the owner, and has been overseeing failure after failure with not even the slightest threat to his job security.

I fail to see the comparison between the two.
  13. Chocolate Lab

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    :laugh2:

Yeah, he earned it... By being in the family portrait.

What are you talking about. Stephen isn't the GM.
  14. Risen Star

22,745 Messages
    10,041 Likes Received
    And that's the right answer.

The reason why Stephen will be great in the future is he's all we have and I can't possibly wrap my brain around the idea that he could be Jerry Jones the sequel.
  15. Risen Star

22,745 Messages
    10,041 Likes Received
    He turned down head coaching gigs before taking over the Cowboys.

No, but he's run our cap and served as the VP of Personnel. Two positions he most certainly was never qualified for and his performance at them should have gotten him fired long ago. He paid no dues. He's held to no standard. His greatest accomplishment has been his daddy's ability to exist all these years. This is why his length of tenure means nothing. He can't be fired.

How you can compare Jason Garrett to him is beyond me.
  16. Bowdown27

Bowdown27 Well-Known Member

2,679 Messages
    273 Likes Received
    I may sound crazy but I think Stephen at the helm will have a better grip on owning this team. He doesn't seem to want to be on the sidelines at the end of games or want the publicity his father does. Just my opionion. But I'm glad he's saying that guys who are getting paid to be superstars and aren't will be gone. I don't see Jerry doing that. He's still thinking Jason Garrett will be our Super Bowl winning head coach
  17. AbeBeta

AbeBeta Well-Known Member

25,612 Messages
    1,030 Likes Received
    More lack of cap understanding, please.
  18. Rynie

Rynie Benched

4,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    He's on the radio every week. I used to think the same, but I'm not so sure about that now.
  19. gimmesix

gimmesix Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life

9,459 Messages
    927 Likes Received
    Doug Free is the only one who deserves that based on his play. Ratliff and Austin have been fine when healthy.

Now, health is definitely a concern.
  20. 5Stars

5Stars Here comes the Sun...

26,730 Messages
    1,811 Likes Received
    :laugh2:

Yet, here you are, bro. Why torture yourself? I mean, it makes absolutely no sense to even be a Cowboy fan if you hate Jerry, he dies, and his son is just as bad like you think.

I'll never understand that kind of thinking.