1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Stephen Jones: Safety is #1 Priority on Defense

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by CowboysLaw87, Feb 22, 2013.

1. CowboysLaw87

CowboysLaw87 Active Member

598 Messages
    216 Likes Received
  2. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

8,605 Messages
    298 Likes Received
    Yay, this means we will continue to ignore the OL and build around the 2ndary.

That's how Super Bowl teams are built.
  3. Fletch

Fletch To The Moon

9,316 Messages
    520 Likes Received
    Did you read the article at all? The title of this thread is very misleading to say the least. S. Jones said the biggest priority ON DEFENSE is safety. Same as the biggest priority on offense is addressing the O-line.
  4. DezBRomo9

DezBRomo9 Formerly joshjwc9 Zone Supporter

1,599 Messages
    23 Likes Received
    I'm hoping it is a big 'ol smokescreen.

5. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,282 Messages
    1,753 Likes Received
    True that is what he said. I think who is on the board at that time will determine where we go with the pick. I would love to see us pick up a top OL player but if you have a safety there who has graded out higher then go with the player you have rated the highest.
  6. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,223 Messages
    1,818 Likes Received
    That's right/
    Anyway, the biggest priority does not always mean you spend your 1st round pick on that spot. What he said was above board; we have two guys that they hope can contribute or even start that are hurt and the other guy could be a cap casualty, so at a minimum you have to bring in someone, whether it be sometime in first 3 rounds or so in the draft or via FA.

However, if we don't sign someone in FA and we get to pick 18 in round 1 and our top choices on Oline and Dline are gone..and Vacarro is sitting there...it could happen.

I think this is a great year to find safety help in round 2-4 though.
  7. Fletch

Fletch To The Moon

9,316 Messages
    520 Likes Received
    And I could live with that scenario. DT & DE could be the first pick too.
  8. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

28,610 Messages
    4,496 Likes Received
    Safety is a huge need for this team, especially if Sensabaugh ends up a cap casualty. And it's been a need for a long time, too.
  9. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,282 Messages
    1,753 Likes Received
    I agree. with the 18th pick no matter the position we need that player to be able to come in and make an impact. Taking OL just for the sake of doing it is not a smart move. Now if one of the top OL players is sitting there at 18 then take him but don't take players just based on position alone.

A top play making safety would be a big help to this defense same with DT or DE as you mention but the most important thing is get the biggest bang for the pick
  10. Fletch

Fletch To The Moon

9,316 Messages
    520 Likes Received
    Rumor here in PA is that Polamalu could be a cap casualty along with James Harrison. Pitt is way over the cap.
  11. TheRomoSexual

TheRomoSexual Well-Known Member

2,473 Messages
    960 Likes Received
    As others have said, the title of this thread is very misleading. Regardless, if Vaccaro is available at 18 and his name is called, you won't hear any complaints from me.
  12. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,434 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    He's wrong. DL is the biggest priority on defense.
  13. Idgit

28,610 Messages
    4,496 Likes Received
    Wow. First I'd heard that. With a +$10m cap hit, I guess it's possible. I don't think they'd make that mistake, though. Can you imagine him with a Star on a helmet?
  14. Idgit

28,610 Messages
    4,496 Likes Received
    Not if they cut Sensabaugh and sign Spencer...
  15. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

20,286 Messages
    6,238 Likes Received
    The biggest need on defense is DL.

The title was misleading but it still shows our front office doesn't even know the problems, much less know how to fix them.
  16. CowboyGil

CowboyGil Active Member

944 Messages
    192 Likes Received
    SteelerNation be turned on it's ear. That would be equivalent of Roger Staubach in a Steeler uni.
  17. conner01

conner01 Well-Known Member

2,379 Messages
    139 Likes Received
    saying you see safety as a nedd does'nt mean you are spending a first rnd pick on one, or any pick for that matter. could very well mean they sign a free agent vet with some experience in the new system. there are a few out there who fit that description
  18. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,434 Messages
    408 Likes Received
    The fact that Stephen Jones flat out said safety is the #1 priority, leads me to believe that they could be targeting a safety in free agency. Why show your cards?
  19. DCBoysfan

DCBoysfan Hardwork and Dedication Zone Supporter

4,346 Messages
    119 Likes Received
    Safety is a need, but I think Stephen Jones is getting his smoke screen practice starting, I see Dallas taking the best DL or OL player available at 18.
  20. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,856 Messages
    3,782 Likes Received
    No. And to be honest, I've always thought he was overrated and a product of the Steelers system.

But it could be a bit of bias there..