1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Stephen Jones: Safety is #1 Priority on Defense

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by CowboysLaw87, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Zimmy Lives

Zimmy Lives Well-Known Member

5,728 Messages
    920 Likes Received
    And so this is what it will come down to in the draft: Who offers the best value as an impact player. Personally, I think a lineman (d preferably) will have a greater impact at 18 than a safety but that's me.
  2. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

65,439 Messages
    4,396 Likes Received
    You won't hear me denying it.. lol
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,917 Messages
    2,145 Likes Received
    Not if the talent of that safety is better than the D Lineman on the board. It has to be about talent. Position matters and we have positions that we need to address but get players who can actually go out and produce who can make an impact. A great safety can make an impact ask the Ravens with Ed Reed. Not saying any safety in this draft will be an Ed Reed but you don't pass up talent if it is there.

People are talking position not the talent of the player and that is how you get stuck with poor players. You draft a guy and in the end find out he sucks so now you still have a hole to fill at that position and you missed out on a player of greater talent.
  4. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,656 Messages
    2,029 Likes Received
    I just want the value to match the draft position. So maybe taking his wording exactly as is did not fit.

If I'm sitting at 18 and my draft board tells me nothing is there worth the 18th pick, I'm dropping down some.

If I have a player or two that I love that I don't think will make it to me but they are in reasonable reach and I see a big value gap after them, I may move up if the price is right.

If I have a group of players in the same tier when i reach a draft slot, then I am taking the one that my team needs the most...all else equal.

So...If i can move up or down in the draft to find that best value matching need than that is my preference.

I did not, for example, think moving up last year fit that model. Losing our fairly high 1st rounder plus our fairly high second rounder to move up to get a CB was a good match for us.
  5. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

11,910 Messages
    920 Likes Received
    Safety is a bigger priority than the O-Line.

I know people don't want to hear that, but it's the truth.

We *could* pass, move the ball and score points last year. We couldn't stop the pass. You want to get both fixed, but we've neglected safety much more and for much longer than we've neglected O-Line and it's not a coincidence that it's a big issue for the team.

YR
  6. Zimmy Lives

5,728 Messages
    920 Likes Received
    I think the odds of an impact lineman being there at 18 are greater than an impact safety being available. That's my point.

Vaccaro may go high because he is one of the better safeties available but I think there will be better value there with line players. Dallas would be wise to focus on talent and not need.
  7. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,917 Messages
    2,145 Likes Received
    My only concern be it safety, DL or OL is we get quality. This talk about positioin is rediculas when everytime we do that we end up with guys like Carpenter. We needed a LB and ended up with a bench player. I'm all for DL or OL with the 18th pick but if there is a player rated higher and it helps fill a need then don't throw it away. I'm not interested in filling spots just to fill a spot we need talent.
  8. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,569 Messages
    1,575 Likes Received
    I dont think Vacarro will be there for Dallas in Rd1. But in round 2 i think they will get their S.

Eric Reid
    Phillip Thomas
    Matt Elam
    Jonathan Cyprien
  9. Future

Future Intramural Legend

15,933 Messages
    1,315 Likes Received
    I know what you meant, which is why I just said EW and not "I think he's past his prime, too many injuries, not that great in coverage so he might not be a good fit in a cover 2, etc."
    :laugh2:
  10. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,656 Messages
    2,029 Likes Received
    The value just seems better after Rd1.
    Even in the 3rd or 4th rounds there could be guys like Swearinger and others available. I have mixed feeling about McDonald, but he easily could drop to the 4th.

In the end, regardless of the postion, I want us to get as many good players at good values as possible.
  11. Crown Royal

Crown Royal Insulin Beware

10,139 Messages
    521 Likes Received
    I still think the OL is a mess and is the single greatest need, but more so in the running game and not necessarily with a high pick. I'd be happier with lineman that don't end up on the ground.

Safety to me is unquestionably the biggest need on the defense. RS can pound the trenches rhetoric all day, but when you compare DeMarcus Ware, Anthony Spencer and even Jason Hatcher (who was underrated by too many for 2012) to Gerald Sensabaugh and Danny McCray, I think it's pretty clear where the talent falls. Too many plays given up specifically due to poor safety play.
  12. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,676 Messages
    670 Likes Received
    So we only have one pick then?
  13. Zimmy Lives

5,728 Messages
    920 Likes Received
    Agreed! ;)

I'm okay with a WR or LB at 18 as long as they are the BPA! :D
  14. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,007 Messages
    1,703 Likes Received
    Only if we don't keep Spencer.
  15. Erik_H

Erik_H Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun. Zone Supporter

2,435 Messages
    67 Likes Received
    Our DL in 2012 in a 3-4 is not the same as out DL in 2013 running the 4-3.

While we may still have holes, putting a top priority may mean that they intend to keep Spencer and Ratliff. With Ware, Spencer, Ratliff, Hatcher, Lissemore and Crawford (along with Price and Bass maybe) our DL (running a 4-3) looks better than our safety position.

Therefore safety would be our top D priority. OL is still our top O priority.
  16. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,569 Messages
    1,575 Likes Received
    I have no idea how you can compare them. Ware got most of production coming off the line with his hand down. Thats where the majority of his sacks come from. Spencer is the one who got the most out of Ryans scheme this yr because they moved him all over the place. I dont think spencer comes close to that production with his hand on the ground.

Ware is going to make Hatcher alot better playing next to him on every down
  17. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,007 Messages
    1,703 Likes Received
    What are you talking about? Spencer lined up on the strongside about 90% of the time and only rushed the passed about 3/4 as often.

Ryan used Ware like the old elephant role a la the early 90s 49ers with Haley and Harris. He rushed the A and B gaps, stunted with Hatcher and all manner of things.
  18. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,765 Messages
    2,516 Likes Received
    Well said CR.
  19. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,765 Messages
    2,516 Likes Received
    True.
  20. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

2,659 Messages
    1,153 Likes Received
    I'm on board with RS on this one. DL over Safety.

S position is in bad shape, but I think the talent pool in the draft is not adequate and I definitely don't want to take Vacarro over an offensive lineman (he won't be there in the 2nd round.) But the talent pool IS pretty rich in FA this year for a safety (Byrd, Phillips, Brown, Woodson, Quin, Delmas...etc).

Meanwhile, the only Defensive lineman we've taken in the last 6 years in round 4 or better is Tyrone Crawford (unless you count Brandon Williams, but you shouldn't).

The defensive line is aging and lacking high talent in the interior. It's not about 'now', it's about now and the future.

If we wanted a safety, we should've taken Barron last year. That was the ideal time to do so.