1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Stephen Jones: Safety is #1 Priority on Defense

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by CowboysLaw87, Feb 22, 2013.

1. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,351 Messages
    2,232 Likes Received
    I think in the first 3 rounds you'll see them take whoever represents the best value. Safety may not be drafted in any of those rounds.
  2. Vinnie2u

Vinnie2u Well-Known Member

1,989 Messages
    288 Likes Received
    Fine some guys that can apply constant and consistent pressure on the QB. I don't care if its a DE, DT, LB, Safety or water boy. And magically this defense will get fixed.
  3. Vinnie2u

Vinnie2u Well-Known Member

1,989 Messages
    288 Likes Received
    Find some guys that can apply constant and consistent pressure on the QB. I don't care if its a DE, DT, LB, Safety or water boy. And magically this defense will get fixed.
  4. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,439 Messages
    1,440 Likes Received
    Um Spencer lined up all over the place, even in the middle. No he didnt line up 90% of the time on the strong side. When Lee and Carter both were out he went everywhere. Im sure that takes the 90% of the time out of the equation
  5. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

11,738 Messages
    719 Likes Received
    Look at the real statistics behind the game and you won't feel this way.

What I think it really comes down to is if it's easier to find O-Linemen or safeties. But as far as pure need, safety play is the largest priority. We moved the ball decently last year. We were in the top-half in passing efficiency, sacks allowed, points scored, etc. But, we couldn't stop the pass to save our lives. If you look at the metrics, you'll see that the defense that the corners were responsible for improved quite a bit. But, the defense the safeties were responsible for was the worst in the league.

And our safeties are probably looking like Barry Church, who has never done anything and tore his Achilles. And Matt Johnson who has yet to play a meaningful down of football.

O-Line is a bit more tricky. Costa is like Church...unproven and injured, but considered to have some potential. Free is like Sensabaugh, his time is done here.

Probably the big difference is that teams usually carry 4 safeties and at least 8 O-linemen, so from a numbers perspective it makes O-Line more difficult to fill.

But we can improve the O-Line quite a bit and we are still going to run into the same problems until we can stop the pass on defense. I'm not knocking Romo, but he's not good enough to play in wild shoot outs and win continually like Brees, Brady, or Rodgers. And after a while, playing in those shootouts will come back to haunt you in the end.

While it's not pretty and I'm sure he doesn't like, Romo is good enough to work around a lousy O-Line. I think the real key is solving the RT position. Romo's best play has always come when the RT play was pretty sound. And when Parnell started getting more playing time this year, Romo really started to turn it up.

But I think we are going to be sadly mistaken if we think all we have to do is repair the O-Line.

YR
  6. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

11,738 Messages
    719 Likes Received
    QB's are going to complete passes in this game. If the defense is playing zone and the SS doesn't play the zone deep or shallow enough, all of the pressure in the world won't matter because it's an easy completion. And if the receiver catches a 10 yard pass and your safeties continually miss tackles and turn it into 25 yard gains...all of the pressure in the world isn't going to help much.

It's not a case of the pressure stinking, but more like the we had the worst safety play in the league last year. And the teams that go to the Super Bowl continually have quality safety play.

The NFL is very much about not beating yourself and if the safeties are the last line of defense, it stands to reason why it's such an important position in today's game.

YR
  7. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,324 Messages
    1,817 Likes Received
    I'm not sure even Brees, Rodgers or Brady can do that. Bree and Rodgers were aided by big play defenses the season they won the SB. It is not like Brees has been going to the SB every year or Rodgers or Brady as far as that goes so if it is not them that has caused their teams to come up short then what has?
  8. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,439 Messages
    1,440 Likes Received
    Im not going to say the defense is the problem. You have to look at what happened throughout the yr.

Early in the yr, The offense was putting the defense in bad positions. Special teams too. Dallas led the league in 3 and outs before the injuries happened. To me that says they were getting off the field. Sure they werent getting turnovers but they werent allowing the drives they were allowing at the end of the yr.

The offense was plain horrible to start the yr. I think the Giants game opening night was the team Dallas should've been. They passed to open the run in the 2nd half. They played physical defense.

I agree Safety is a need. But OL is by far and away the biggest need. You mention stats and Dallas' ability to gain yrds and scores. But most of the yr that yardage and scoring came when Dallas pressed the defense. Hurry up tempo. When Dallas huddled up they struggled ALOT.
  9. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,666 Messages
    2,395 Likes Received
    Early in the year, the offense was worse than the defense. There's no doubt about that.
  10. Ntegrase96

Ntegrase96 Well-Known Member

2,620 Messages
    1,103 Likes Received
    Did that really change toward the end of the year?
  11. Erik_H

Erik_H Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun. Zone Supporter

2,428 Messages
    66 Likes Received
    I was replying to a point saying that our DL is currently our biggest problem on D. IF we bring back Spencer and also have Ratliff playing, then D line is NOT our biggest problem. I'd go as far as to say that even if Ratliff end up hurt again, we are still in better shape on DL than at Safety.

Spencer would do very well at DE in our new system. He won't have to worry about dropping back into coverage anymore.
  12. the_h0wey

the_h0wey Well-Known Member

1,059 Messages
    104 Likes Received
    I didn't realize I said we only have one pick. What I was saying is we have more pressing needs on the D and O line. Great point though.
  13. LatinMind

LatinMind iPhotoshop

8,439 Messages
    1,440 Likes Received
    If spencer and Ratliff are both back, i dont think they do much on the DL in the draft or FA.
  14. conner01

conner01 Well-Known Member

2,385 Messages
    143 Likes Received
    exactly. we need a safety but we need the lines on both sides to play better or no safety will look good.
  15. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

6,221 Messages
    412 Likes Received
    At least this means they aren't automatically counting on church and/or Johnson
  16. Dash28

Dash28 Felis silvestris catus

6,312 Messages
    339 Likes Received
    I like Church but you can't just count on him returning from that injury. Hopefully we really target OL, DL, and S in the offseason.
  17. Crown Royal

Crown Royal Insulin Beware

10,088 Messages
    496 Likes Received
    I'm aware of everything,you said here and don't really disagree. The safety play especially when church went down was truely horrific. That said, our sheer inability to run EVER is where my focus,on the OL is. I think Berny and maybe even costa can become,decent enough pass blockers, but run blocking is just,putrid.
  18. BraveHeartFan

BraveHeartFan We got a hat. I want a ring.

22,766 Messages
    675 Likes Received

Agreed.

It has to be OL>DL>Safety

I'd say that's the order of importance to what this team needs right now, without any question at all.
  19. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,201 Messages
    766 Likes Received
    Costa has actually shown to be a really good run blocker. That's where he was missed most.
  20. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,351 Messages
    2,232 Likes Received
    This is what Stephen Jones said in the paper today regarding the draft and Oline, "We're obviously looking at that with our eyes wide open. But when the draft comes, the worst thing in the world we want to do is be drafting for need. You draft good football players. And that's what we'll do".