1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Stephen Jones: Safety is #1 Priority on Defense

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by CowboysLaw87, Feb 22, 2013.

1. AKATheRake

AKATheRake Well-Known Member

3,756 Messages
    189 Likes Received
    This years FA safety market has the potential to showcase quite a few good to very good safeties including varying age ranges.

Also a top 15 pick at safety is not much less expensive then a well paid FA safety catch.

I think we go to FA for a safety and would be wise to.
  2. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

9,377 Messages
    4,572 Likes Received
    The thread title alone brought a tear to my eye. Finally the days of that bum Sensabaugh are numbered..
  3. AKATheRake

AKATheRake Well-Known Member

3,756 Messages
    189 Likes Received
    This draft is extremely deep at d-line and o-line which is perfect for us and the chances of BPA at our picks in the first 2 rounds will coincide with our needs look pretty good.

Safety, I would like to add another play making leader in FA. Our seceondary is extremely young and could use a leader who has been to the big one back there. The whole defense could use that "been there" leader.

Unless of course Byrd somehow hits the market.
  4. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,808 Messages
    5,522 Likes Received
    Is that true? I believe you, I'm just too lazy to get a sense how close the deals usually are.

If so, I can see us prioritizing S in VFA and using the pick to replace Spencer on DL. That makes more sense, actually, than signing a premium DL contract and trying to draft a S. There's a better chance we can get a quality contributor at DL/DE at 18 than we could a S, and he'd be a better value over the course of his rookie contract.

It's also worth noting that the Bears have 4 DLs, including Melton (and Nate Collins is an RFA) exposed in FA, and only journeyman Troy Nolan (7th round pick from HOU) at S. If we're bringing in any of Marinelli's guys as FAs, it'll be at DL.
  5. CowboysBravesSpurs

CowboysBravesSpurs Member

81 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I disagree. I dont know why so many people are worried about the dline. Its in much better shape than our safeties. Why draft a DT? Im sure Ratliff, lissemore, & Hatcher will be great at DT. I am worried about LE. I wouldn't be mad if we drafted someone who would be good to put on the opposite side of ware. But just take a look at out safeties. Church is coming off such a bad injury. He was already slow in the first place, lets not hope he lost a step when he comes back because I think he can be a great ss. Im just sick of seeing sensabum out there. Always getting beat. And people are putting hope in matt Johnson, but what has he done in the NFL? And plus the dude is injury prone. Not saying he cant be a great NFL player but I wanna see it before I hop on the bandwagon.
    So we got a bum in sensabaugh, church who really hasn't fully proven himself & coming off injury, and matt Johnson who is also coming off injury & we have no clue how great he's gonna be. I think we need atleast one good athletic free safety who can cover the field & excel in coverage.

I think it should be like this.. OL>S>DL
  6. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

5,546 Messages
    1,726 Likes Received
    I don't get the comment about not wanting to be drafting for need.

If you have glaring needs as this team it seems you do just that.
  7. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,698 Messages
    2,049 Likes Received
    You take the best player available to assure that get more guys who can actually stay in the league awhile.
    Ideally you take the BPA at a position of need unless the BPA is rated a full tier ahead of anyone left on your board.
    Drafting for need first can really set you back
  8. Blue Eyed Devil

Blue Eyed Devil Active Member

474 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    They spent $35 million last year on one safety, and $12.5 million on another one this season. What does it say for his ability to evaluate talent if he's now looking for another safety? You can only put 2 on the field at a time.
  9. Shiloht88

Shiloht88 Benched

64 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Horrible, and he is part of our franchises brain trust.

The Dline and the oline should be the #1 priority and it isn't even close, but hey let's get another db. We are going to be no better than 8-8 for the foreseeable future.
  10. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,073 Messages
    1,762 Likes Received
    We must've watched completely different games. I do not recall it being that way whatsoever. Spencer was constantly over the TE.
  11. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

2,707 Messages
    531 Likes Received
    Not really. Its not their track record. Three gin and tonics and its trade time baby!
  12. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

16,073 Messages
    1,762 Likes Received
    It's absolutely not true.

Claiborne who was top 5 got a 4 year $16m contract.

Ingram went 18 last year and got $8m over 4 years. This is not 2010 and there is absolutely no way that Byrd or a top S is going to come for $2m AAV.

Reggie Nelsn got 4 years $18m for example last season and he is nowhere near the player that Goldson, Moore or Byrd is. The franchise tag for safeties is $7m AAV.

It's basically either going to be top dollar or straight up unavailable for those top 3 and you can go for a guy like Delmas.

It seems no one is interested in looking at specifics this offseason. Where is Adam when you need him?
  13. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,038 Messages
    452 Likes Received
    You definitely need a ball hawk on the back end... Time to address that via free agency, Jairus Byrd anyone????
  14. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,442 Messages
    414 Likes Received
    I like Delmas but he can't stay healthy.
  15. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,773 Messages
    727 Likes Received
    For sure we need a safety. Especially with Kiffin's defense.

Hope we can get Byrd in free agency because I would hate to spend yet another high pick on a secondary player.
  16. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

31,851 Messages
    2,580 Likes Received
    Yes really.

It has been their track record the last three drafts.
  17. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,628 Messages
    121 Likes Received
    Well since I've been jumping up and down about a safety, it does make me happy to see the need recognized. Now I figure first priority might be getting one in free agency and letting Spencer walk, but thats just a gut feeling.

I would feel much more comfortable looking for a young pass rusher in the draft to go along with Ware as he gets older, and look for a vet to lead this secondary. After thinking about everything that could happen, this really fits what we need the most, and gives us the opportunity to actually fill most of our needs.
  18. HoosierCowboy

HoosierCowboy Put Pearson in the HOF

2,101 Messages
    35 Likes Received
    if we don't take the best OL and DL in the first 2 or 3 rounds I will...well, I guess I'll remain a loyal Cowboy fan and not break anything
  19. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received

.....the fact FANS like us know that DL and OL are where championships are won and our front office is so totally clueless is depressing.
  20. Shiloht88

Shiloht88 Benched

64 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Not only depressing but it makes me sick.