1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Stephen Jones: Safety is #1 Priority on Defense

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by CowboysLaw87, Feb 22, 2013.

1. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,206 Messages
    123 Likes Received

...I was sugar coating it really. IF it was just a pattern that has developed the last few years it would be one thing but this has been going on a LONG time. I guess the cruelest irony is that JJ was an Olineman in college....:bang2:
  2. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,893 Messages
    2,143 Likes Received
    fwiw

He did not say they planned to for sure use a 1st round pick on a saftey...though it has been > decade since they've done so.

They can address this very critical need sometime in rounds 2-4 and do well. They can still, hopefully go OL or DL in Rd1.

Step away from the cliff
  3. CowboysBravesSpurs

CowboysBravesSpurs Member

81 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    So your saying a D-line that consists of D-ware, Hatcher, Ratliff, Crawford, Lissamore, & whoever else we get is weaker than our safety core?,

That consists of Sensabum, & 2 players coming off injury that haven't even proven themselves ala Church & Johnson?

But yea, lets draft a DT in the first round.. That'll solve our issues with being out of position on pass plays & getting beat deep...

I for one agree with most that we should upgrade o-line before anything but ignoring upgrading the safety position is gonna come back & bite us. Like it has every year since Roy Williams started declining.

I loved getting Claiborne last year but I cant help to think if we were better off drafting Barron & resigning Jenkins..
  4. DFWJC

22,893 Messages
    2,143 Likes Received
    Just a reminder; you can adress the need at safety more efficiently by waiting until after round 1. I guess if they are in absolute love with Vacarro (which I doubt) they may take him.

Nobody is saying to not address safety. Just don't be dumb about it. There's really only one safety with a 1st round grade but there are mutilple Oline and dline players with Rd1 grades.
  5. CowboysBravesSpurs

CowboysBravesSpurs Member

81 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    I dont care how or where they get a safety, just as long as he can start this year. I feel that we should go guard 1st round especially if we dont sign one in FA. I'd be okay with them drafting a DE first round but would be really disappointed if we got a DT.. I just dont see how DT is more important than OL & S considering who we have at those said positions.
  6. Deep_Freeze

Deep_Freeze Well-Known Member

6,638 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    So all these players have been graded before all the camps or combine are done?? Alot can change between now and draft time, and its just hard for me to read time and time again how everything is decided right now when thats just not true.

And whose grading system are you going by?? I only care about the Cowboys board and noone elses. Its just plain way too early to say who deserves a first round grade and who doesn't.
  7. Deep_Freeze

6,638 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    Yeah if Spencer is brought back, a DL of Spencer, Ware, TRat, and Hatch is much better than anything we have at safety.....and its not close. A rookie DL would probably not even start, unless of course one of the old guys we have on the DL breaks down.

I really don't know how anyone would think Sensy (who is around Spencer and Hatch's age, 30, so he's also old) is as good of a football player as anyone of those starting 4 on our DL. Give me an old DL over an old DB any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Our DL needs youth, but our safety position needs talent....and that is the huge difference.
  8. tyke1doe

tyke1doe Well-Known Member

19,664 Messages
    764 Likes Received
    I guess our No. 1 priority safety is going to be blitz the quarterback on every play. I guess if we're not getting pass rush from our defensive line, it might as well be from the secondary. Sigh. :(
  9. brooksey1

brooksey1 Well-Known Member

1,386 Messages
    442 Likes Received

Safety is by far the biggest need before the D-Line. D-Line is next.
  10. Deep_Freeze

6,638 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    Safety is probably the biggest need on D as long as we keep Spencer, if we let Spencer walk the biggest need becomes an edge rusher at SDE since its a premium position and much harder to fill with a talented player.
  11. Double Trouble

Double Trouble Well-Known Member

8,475 Messages
    244 Likes Received
    :laugh2: these clowns keep throwing $$ at the secondary instead of the front 7.
  12. BruceLee5450

BruceLee5450 Well-Known Member

2,108 Messages
    36 Likes Received
    keep??? Last year was the first year since drafting Jenkins that they actually concentrated on improving the CB's..In Monte's scheme, it is important that you have a safety you can trust. They got killed a ton last year b/c of the brutal safety play of McCray/Sensabaugh/Frampton.. The only way I would pick Vaccaro is if Cooper/Floyd/Richardson/Warmack are all off the board.. I might go the Ansah route, but his development might take more than 2 years & we need an impact player right away
  13. DFWJC

22,893 Messages
    2,143 Likes Received
    Yeah, every team has their own grades. We'll see if 3-4 safties are taken in the first round. I would bet heavily that will not be the case. One or maybe two tops, imo. But you never know for sure.

There are always 4-5 players that move more than just a few slots after the combine, but most teams claim their boards are very close to set before the combine begins....as it should be. It's not remotely way too early.
    If something major happens at the combine that changes a team's mind after years of scouting, well, so be it.

I don't care if we get a safety in round 1 (would prefer we did not) as long as we get one that is good enoough to evenutally start. I suspect this year's class had at least 5-6 players that fit that requirement.
  14. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,477 Messages
    8,377 Likes Received
    Over and over again.

Let's keep the front office in tact and do the same thing in personnel next year. It's got to work one of these years.
  15. Zordon

Zordon Well-Known Member

9,789 Messages
    5,196 Likes Received
    I'm sorry I hate Sensabaugh more than anyone but our first pick needs to weigh 300+ lbs. Ideally I would like to go Dline/Oline with the first two picks, get a safety in the 3rd and a skill player in the 4th. Then I would try to trade our remaining picks to get back up in the 4th and get a developmental corner or guard.
  16. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

12,330 Messages
    833 Likes Received
    So let's complain over what is said a month or 2 before the actual draft.

Yeah because words mean so much
  17. Deep_Freeze

6,638 Messages
    122 Likes Received
    Well thats an easy claim that makes them sound like they already knew what was going to happen at the combine, but in truth they do change. Ware rocketed up the board after his combine, along with countless other players.

As for a safety in round 1, really I would rather have one in free agency, we need a veteran leader back there not some rookie trying to figure his way out in the NFL. Now if we don't get one in free agency, then we have to look to the draft but I don't want a guy who is 'good enough to eventually start'.....I want a leader for this D, a true playmaker.

As of right now everything depends on Spencer, cause he is the only person that we will have to let need unfortunately get into our draft to replace.
  18. DFWJC

22,893 Messages
    2,143 Likes Received
    I like that if we can find the right guy. Makes a lot of sense.
  19. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

15,023 Messages
    1,325 Likes Received
    The issue is this seems to match the thinking over the past several years that the oline doesn't matter or it's good enough. When it's the same every year, I don't think it's hard to believe this time around.
  20. Frozen700

Frozen700 Well-Known Member

12,330 Messages
    833 Likes Received

I don't know. I've seen complaints turn around and blow up in peoples face. Then you get the "I will eat my crow" threads a few days or weeks later.

We will see though. I just don't think we should strap Jerry or Stephen to the electric chair just yet.