1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Stephen Jones Says Cowboys ‘Absolutely’ Can Make Playoffs

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by felix360, Nov 26, 2012.

1. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,562 Messages
    5,290 Likes Received
    Well, he did say we have as good a chance as anybody, but, yeah, I get your point. As if you'd expect anyone associated with the team to say anything else until the day we're eliminated.
  2. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    the redskins have a win over new orleans, minnesota, Dallas and Tampa bay.

they are in the drivers seat for the 6 seed.

of all the teams tampa and new orleans are the only ones that look like good football teams potentially.

I still dont see the skins as a playoff team and I imagine seattle will do just enough to get in.

Seattle and Tampa have schedules that favor them getting to 8 wins, maybe 9. If seattle can beat buffalo on the road they probably get to 9 wins and get the 6 seed.
  3. ScipioCowboy

ScipioCowboy More than meets the eye. Zone Supporter

14,822 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received
    When I say "that's how Garrett should be judged," I mean he should be judged by whether or not he makes the playoffs because he has an opportunity to do so, especially if a bunch of teams are tied at 6-6 with 4 games to go.

If he doesn't make the playoffs, it's an organizational failure that includes him. I don't want to hear about the offensive line because the organization was quite content with this offensive line going into the season.
  4. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,641 Messages
    2,019 Likes Received
    Oops.
    I somehow missed that.
    I'd disagree with that for sure. The odds are longer for us that for several other teams. Not throwing in the towel, but the odds are very long, imo.
  5. ScipioCowboy

14,822 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received
    I completely understand where you're coming from, Theebs. I don't deny the merits of your argument here.

However, the Skins and Cowboys are currently tied in the standing with one more game against each other. The Cowboys also have a win over Tampa Bay, and have the opportunity to get a win over New Orleans. That's why I say the Cowboys are in control of their own destiny when it comes to the Skins.
  6. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,434 Messages
    2,130 Likes Received
    Seems a tad bit sad that management has now picked up the rally cry for "just get in and see what happens".

Like that is some sort of grand operating plan.

"Lets just get there and then anything can happen" seems like a great fallback plan but a horrible best-case scenario plan, which is where Dallas is at right now.

Far too many hopes and dreams pinned upon the successes of other franchise's (mostly the Giants) abilities to make something happen from a trailing position. Dallas hasn't shown the ability to play a complete game in about 3 months.
  7. diehard2294

diehard2294 America's Team

4,513 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    Ever the salesman like his dad, and people think things will be better when he takes over someday:laugh2:
  8. Howardlittleton64

Howardlittleton64 Benched

664 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    The only hope I have is if Mr. Jones fires himself
  9. Everlastingxxx

Everlastingxxx All Star

7,211 Messages
    187 Likes Received
    Another con artist in the making.

I have watched 11 games of this same type of football. I don’t see any hope in this years team.
  10. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received

well they do and your absolutely right.

If we were any good we could actually get on a roll like we have seen pitt, ny and gb do.

We are not good though! Always a problem when trying to win!
  11. Eric_Boyer

Eric_Boyer Well-Known Member

4,390 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    I doubt common opponent would even be the factor to decide it. division record comes before common opponent when two division teams are tied for the wild card

If the skins lose to the Giants next week, they would likely have a worse division record then us (assuming we split with the skins)

So I guess you could argue the skins control their destiny where we don't. but after next week, that will likely no longer be the case.
  12. FLcowboy

FLcowboy Hopeful this is the year Zone Supporter

3,652 Messages
    24 Likes Received
    Poor Stephan is left with trying to sell tickets with his optimisms.
  13. Wolfpack

Wolfpack Well-Known Member

2,686 Messages
    498 Likes Received
    If I were the GM jr. then I would prefer to offer a more workmanlike tone.
    "This has been a challenging year for the team and the results are not where we would like them to be. I know the Coach Red will have the team ready for next week's challenge and he has the full confidence of the entire FO. We know he will have the player's ready."

That sends a little difference message than having your GM jr. speaking as if he is in the locker room "oh hell yes we are gonna be in the hunt...you bet ya. You all tune in to see us fight hard the rest of the year, we aint yellow, no sir."
  14. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,276 Messages
    1,275 Likes Received
    It may not be totally French, but it sure has French tendencies.
  15. Boys122

Boys122 Well-Known Member

1,378 Messages
    33 Likes Received
    And if we lose against Philly? It's possible ya know. That's the problem we continue to beat ourselves. The opportunities have been there for us.
  16. theebs

theebs Believe!!!!

22,213 Messages
    1,270 Likes Received
    yep your right.

I expect the giants to whip the skins next week and end the race in the east.

That will then really put seattle in a good position because of there schedule to get to 9 wins. I dont think dallas or washington get to 9.
  17. ScipioCowboy

14,822 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received
    Oh, it's more than just possible. :D
  18. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,562 Messages
    5,290 Likes Received
    Steelers did a pretty fair job with it not too long ago. Cardinals. Seahawks. The Giants, you mentioned. I don't think there's anything sad about it. It's realistic, given how many games we've already lost. There's not the option of going 14-2 and sweeping in to the playoffs with a bye.

Also, I know nobody here wanted to count them as actual victories at the time, but we did just come off a two game winning streak. I'd betcha the Steelers wouldn't mind that narrow win against the lowly Browns at this point.
  19. ScipioCowboy

14,822 Messages
    2,038 Likes Received
    Completely agree. And like you, I struggle with the idea that we're capable of getting on a roll.

Having said that, we when look at the rosters of the Bucs, Seahawks, and other teams vying for the last wildcard spot, are the Cowboys really any less talented, even with all their injuries?

And it's not like the coaching staffs of these teams are anything great. The Bucs have a first year had coach. The Seahawks have Pete Carroll. The Saints have an interim coach. Jason Garrett shouldn't be any worse than of these guys.

What's the deal? Why aren't expectations higher? Stephen Jones is absolutely right: The Cowboys should have just as much a chance as any other 6-5/5-6 team.
  20. Eric_Boyer

Eric_Boyer Well-Known Member

4,390 Messages
    206 Likes Received
    I expect us to win the next two games in a row just so fans can suffer heartbreak all over again.

It wouldn't even shock me to face a win and your in scenario in week 17 just to fall short.

as for Seattle - I can easily see them failing to get to 9. They are currently 0-3 in the division, so division game confidence shouldn't really exist. And they are a bad road team.

An 8-8 wild card birth is not out of the question at all.