1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Stephen Jones suggests new work rules may have contributed to Cowboys injury woes

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Mar 25, 2014.

1. stasheroo

stasheroo Well-Known Member

18,147 Messages
    1,857 Likes Received
    Belichick's team still managed to make the AFC Championship Game, despite the issue.
    Air Force One likes this.
  2. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

32,006 Messages
    7,753 Likes Received
    SJ's actually talking about the league overall here, but if you've ever seen them stretch in training camp, they look surprisingly like a high school team out there.

I've commented on it in the camp threads before. It's bizarre how poorly they stretch, and I believe they only do it *before* the workout.
  3. stasheroo

18,147 Messages
    1,857 Likes Received
    Yeah, I'm big into all areas of fitness, not just strength training. I see many people who have a close-minded approach to it. So many people think yoga and Pilates are simply for women when I think they couldn't be more wrong.

I think the Cowboys would be doing themselves a big favor in emphasizing total body fitness rather than such a focus on weight training.
    Idgit likes this.
  4. Idgit

32,006 Messages
    7,753 Likes Received
    In this case, because they're saying the same things, it really doesn't matter. They're both right, or they're both wrong. It's not a question of past performance.
    Hostile and cheftjpeck like this.
  5. Idgit

32,006 Messages
    7,753 Likes Received
    You ever hear the nutritionist last camp talking about pulling teeth to get them to drink electrolyte water? It was eye opening for me; I always thought that stuff was second nature in the pros.
  6. stasheroo

18,147 Messages
    1,857 Likes Received
    I agree they the new rules make it tougher, but I hear an accomplished coach talking about not liking them, while still taking his team to the AFC Championship Game, and then I see an owner's son using them as an excuse why his team once again failed to meet expectations.

The positions are completely different.
    Air Force One and visionary like this.
  7. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    I agree and he is not the first to mention this. Limited workouts intended to give players a break have done more to hurt them than to help them as they are not as physcially ready to play
  8. stasheroo

18,147 Messages
    1,857 Likes Received
    No I didn't, but I'd be very interested in it.

To me, if I'm paying this money, I'm hiring the best and as many support staff guys as I can as they don't cost a dime towards my cap.

And I'm also enforcing a strict policy of anyone I have under contract adhering to whatever requirements are made by my health and fitness professionals.
  9. rynochop

rynochop Well-Known Member

2,627 Messages
    380 Likes Received
    Was gonna say the same thing..guess he.s a whining know nothing too
    Hostile likes this.
  10. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,581 Messages
    2,963 Likes Received
    Nobody else wants to say it, since this has become a "bash the front office thread."

I would look where these guys are "training" in the off-season. All those hamstring injuries are consistent with steroid or HGH use/cycling.
  11. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,860 Messages
    1,705 Likes Received
    I seem to remember how many here rejoiced at the second coming of Woicik.....

he was going to turn JAGS into Pro Bowlers.....

Injury issues would never again rear their ugly heads....

and he would turn wine into water....
    brymatt94 likes this.
  12. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    Given his record here in Dallas in the 90's SB years then in NE why shouldn't people feel he would be an asset? I also hope they are taking a very close look at what they can do to reduce the number of nagging injuries such as hamstrings. Some injuries there is nothing you can do and they will happen.
  13. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,571 Messages
    713 Likes Received
    They're both whiners.
  14. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    Athletic training has come a loooooooooooooooong ways since the 90's.
  15. McLovin

McLovin Well-Known Member

3,542 Messages
    1,224 Likes Received
    Point. But even if it is an astute observation, it was parroted by SJ. He wasn't the lead dog
  16. Idgit

32,006 Messages
    7,753 Likes Received
    Fair enough. I don't really care, either way. :). If it's an issue, it's an issue for everybody.
  17. Fletch

Fletch To The Moon

10,006 Messages
    1,140 Likes Received

:confused::cool: Okay
    brymatt94 likes this.
  18. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,586 Messages
    2,243 Likes Received
    Afluenza?
    BigStar likes this.
  19. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

25,257 Messages
    5,507 Likes Received
    It is a combination of both the rules and the culture.

When you have a bunch of overpaid "haves" at the top of the roster, it does not help. They are not going to get cut nor fear for their jobs.

On the other hand, the new CBA does hinder teams. Injuries were up this past year for ,most if not all teams. The ones that stayed healthy lived to tell about it. It is not all luck. The CBA is now in its third year and now a new cycle is beginning.

The Eagles were the healthiest team of all. What helped them? Perhaps a coach that knew how to prepare and get players educated how to take care of themselves. Coming from a college program, it is very feasible that helped. They brought in a new staff, including strength/wellness coaches that are used to dealing with young athletes on a relatively limited schedule. That's one way Dallas and any team for that matter can learn. Get advice from college coaches on how they deal with limited player availability and interaction. Woicik has a very antiquated program, one that might even be out of touch. Just a thought.

Also, getting younger, deeper and hungrier on the roster helps more than anything.

All in all, NFL execs need to get their arms around the fact they should be looking to replenish their rosters every four years or so, just like a college program deals with 100% turnover in that same timespan. The teams that draft the best and keep themselves young are going to have the best chance to succeed IMO.
    cowboys1981 likes this.
  20. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received

We need to get on board with what the Eagles are doing. This is the way of the future and a ton of teams in other sports are already on to it. The Eagles even go as far as to make their players wear computerized monitoring vests and have an entire team of analysts to review the data and keep players out of the "red" zone where injuries are most likely to occur.