1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Stephen Jones: We can compete for a championship

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Risen Star, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

24,915 Messages
    12,618 Likes Received
    “We really feel like we have a team that can compete for a championship,” executive vice president Stephen Jones said.

Jones belief is not just on a roster that has talented players at key spots, but how the NFL landscape has changed over the years.

“The last three teams that won championships barely got into the playoffs and did something about it,” Jones said. “You’re probably not being realistic if you don’t think things have changed in the last 10 years. There’s probably a lot of people who feel they have a chance to win a championship based on the level playing field and how the cap has affected the game. We feel like we have an opportunity to compete for a championship.”

http://espn.go.com/blog/dallas/cowboys/post/_/id/4709628/vp-jones-we-can-compete-for-a-championship
  2. AmericasTeam81

AmericasTeam81 Active Member

476 Messages
    99 Likes Received
    The statement was so nice he had to say it twice
  3. PA Cowboy Fan

PA Cowboy Fan Well-Known Member

2,174 Messages
    1,524 Likes Received
    I think I hear this every year. lol
  4. Risen Star

24,915 Messages
    12,618 Likes Received
    I don't know what happened there. The last paragraph should have been....

“I feel like the teams that won championships last year, we can compete with them and were right there competing with them maybe without a full deck,” Jones said. “We have confidence that this team will win a championship.”
  5. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

33,479 Messages
    9,418 Likes Received
    One thing he forgot to mention was that the last three teams that won championships barely got into the playoffs and did something about it. You’re probably not being realistic if you don’t think things have changed in the last 10 years. There’s probably a lot of people who feel they have a chance to win a championship based on the level playing field and how the cap has affected the game.

But otherwise, yeah, I agree.
  6. honyock

honyock Well-Known Member

1,461 Messages
    577 Likes Received
    Dude, you're on a roll tonight. I'm still laughing about Leary's struggles as a field goal kicker. :laugh2:
  7. Doomsday

Doomsday Rising Star

10,568 Messages
    353 Likes Received
    That is part of the problem, they arent big enough football guys to get that this team isnt ready to compete for a championship. The talent evaluation on this team is sub par and has been for a while now.
  8. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,870 Messages
    2,423 Likes Received
    Of course it's nice to point to the teams who "barely snuck in" while turning a blind eye to the 10 or so other teams who entered from better positions and didn't win the Superbowl.

Would also be a good model to follow if you could somehow guarantee that your team gets hotter than the rest of the playoff teams.

"Just get in and see what happens" should be reserved for teams competing for the last playoff spot. If this is the mantra before training camp, can't say I'm all that impressed with how high the bar is set.
  9. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,487 Messages
    376 Likes Received
    Like father like son. More STOOOOOOPID Jones DNA. If your focus is marketing then maybe you say these things. If you desire substance and want to win...you NEVER say these things.
  10. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,303 Messages
    1,025 Likes Received
    Unfortunately I have to agree with T-Ro in this situation.

:ralph:
  11. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

7,097 Messages
    2,314 Likes Received
    Like the other poster said they say this every year.
  12. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,887 Messages
    914 Likes Received
    Thanks for the double quote. I had to read it twice anyways.
  13. Risen Star

24,915 Messages
    12,618 Likes Received
    Right. It's one thing to not be good enough but your decision makers know it and are looking to fix it. What we have in Dallas is not being good enough and nobody with the power to change things is even aware of it.

The only thing I'll agree with him on is this is a bad league. You don't need to be great to win anymore. You don't even have to be really good. But even in that environment the Cowboys have no better than a puncher's chance to win anything. Thanks to the QB. Because they aren't built properly. They are weakest where it matters most.
  14. Fletch

Fletch To The Moon

10,685 Messages
    1,629 Likes Received
    Any room in this thread for some sunshine? Geesh!
  15. Risen Star

24,915 Messages
    12,618 Likes Received
    The expectation level of this franchise has never been lower. This is not your daddy's Dallas Cowboys. 9 wins and a wild card berth gets a conga line formed.
  16. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

80,531 Messages
    4,995 Likes Received
    we will play 16 and find out. Stephen claiming they can means about as much as those who say they can't.
  17. Idgit

33,479 Messages
    9,418 Likes Received
    You guys are all so depressed. What's the point about complaining that the organization thinks it's got a roster of competing with any team in the NFC? I'm not sure what we're supposed to be sad about. I mean, other than the fact that we're not trading picks for more OGs.
  18. CowboysYanksLakers

CowboysYanksLakers Well-Known Member

4,385 Messages
    563 Likes Received
    Why not? I think this team can beat any squad in the NFL.
  19. Fansince64

Fansince64 Active Member

157 Messages
    111 Likes Received
    And lose to any squad in the NFL as well.

Monte Sliger
  20. Idgit

33,479 Messages
    9,418 Likes Received
    Welcome to the NFL. Where a lot of teams can be competitive.