1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Stephen Jones: We can compete for a championship

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Risen Star, Jun 13, 2013.

1. BoysFan4ever

BoysFan4ever Well-Known Member

4,712 Messages
    1,342 Likes Received
    Sure they CAN compete. Will they? That's why they play the games.

As it is IMO I think there are several teams better than the Cowboys.

I'm not seeing a SB team in the Cowboys. Hope I'm wrong.
  2. AmberBeer

AmberBeer Benched

2,996 Messages
    1,046 Likes Received
    Yes, Dallas does have a lot of talent but it's mostly in the glamour positions, QB, WR, RB, DE and LB's. I'd rather have that kind of talent on the interior. Better chance to catch that lightening in a bottle. IMHO.
  3. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

75,443 Messages
    1,905 Likes Received
    I think both are needed. Skill position players can make an OL players better as well. I don't think it is one or the other. Last 2 season Dallas has used a 1st rd pick on OL so not all picks have been so called glamor picks.
  4. Doomsday101

75,443 Messages
    1,905 Likes Received
    Right now not even thinking SB. I'm thinking improved play if they do that everything else starts taking care of itself.
  5. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member

3,508 Messages
    1,425 Likes Received
    Too bad all of that text only amounts to 1 playoff win during that timeline.
  6. BoysFan4ever

4,712 Messages
    1,342 Likes Received
    Your hometown team has a much better chance of being in the SB than the Cowboys. Sad state of affairs in Texas. I'd pull for JJ if that ever happened.
  7. Doomsday101

75,443 Messages
    1,905 Likes Received
    Oilcans are not my hometown team. Oilers/Texans=oilcans :D

Houston has a good team they had a very good team in the 90' with Warren Moon when Dallas was sitting there with a 1-15 season and yet the Boys went on to win a SB or 2 or 3 while Houston faded into the sunset.

I have more faith in my boys than some of our fans. I recognize the weakness and the strength of this team and do not go into any season thinking SB, been that way since 1965. To me a season is a step by step project. Win division and or wildcard comes 1st do not even think about the 2nd part until the 1st part is done. Just the way I am.
    :D
  8. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,050 Messages
    4,893 Likes Received
    Is it? I read it as commentary about the current team and not as a rehash of the past 17 years. But we all bring out own perspectives into the threads.
  9. BoysFan4ever

4,712 Messages
    1,342 Likes Received

Ha! I'm starting to like the Texans. Don't repeat that though. I meet JJ at the airport & he was really nice. I like to root for guys like that.

Of course that is subject to change at any point. :)
  10. Doomsday101

75,443 Messages
    1,905 Likes Received
    When my family 1st moved to Houston in 1969 we pulled for the Oilers after all they were AFL and the Cowboys NFL so no big deal. After a few years living here it was easy to hate the Oilers and then the Texans. It was not good enough to pull for their own team they felt the need to put my team down. To heck with them, I hope they lose every time they set foot on the field. Unless a win by them helps the Cowboys out of course. :D
  11. CyberB0b

3,508 Messages
    1,425 Likes Received
    I am sure he has made similar threads over the years. We are almost there because of X. The truth of the matter is that nearly every team in the league is "almost there" and we have 1 playoff win in 17 years.

The proof is in the pudding.

The fact that we don't have more playoff appearances in this league of parity is more damning of the Jones regime than praise of where we are today.
  12. Doomsday101

75,443 Messages
    1,905 Likes Received
    In 17 years Parcells helped achieve 2 post season and under Wade we have won the division twice and we have been in the race up to the last week of the season and yet others years we went 5-11 and were nowhere near almost there. Every team is not almost there, teams that can keep themselves in the running are teams who are.

No one is saying they are satisfied with how things have gone but there is a difference in being in the race and teams who are not.
  13. CyberB0b

3,508 Messages
    1,425 Likes Received
    We are among only like 2-3 teams who have the same playoff success as us in the last 17 years.
  14. Doomsday101

75,443 Messages
    1,905 Likes Received
    Im not saying anything is acceptable but it is not the same for the last 17 years. Being in post season give you a chance not being in post season there is no chance. Being out of the race before thanksgiving is a lot different than being in the race in week 17. It has not been the same thing for the last 17 years. It is also not what any of us want
  15. BoysFan4ever

4,712 Messages
    1,342 Likes Received
    I hear ya but still that Watt boy has a new fan in me. Are the players that unlike able?
  16. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,050 Messages
    4,893 Likes Received
    Meh. I'm not as sure as you are. He's a very reasonable poster who usually just tries to get it right. He's not shy about criticizing the team, either.

But it doesn't matter. He's not posting about the last 17 years here, because he's not hung up on that one notion. He's posting about the coming season and what he expects from the team. We've been pretty competitive for the last several years here, overall, so I have a hard time disagreeing with him.
  17. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    If you read the post you'd notice I focused mostly on the 2006-present period since that is the time we had a QB that was capable of leading us to victories against good teams.

You'll also notice that I talk about teams that were flawed. I love them but they were flawed nonetheless.

I think this is the first time that we really seem to have a vision for Cowboys ball and are building the team with youngsters who are inculcated in Garrett's vision of the "Cowboy Way". We are not ignoring huge chunks of the team. We are not avoiding investing in young WRs or young OL because we have failed there in the past with veterans. We seek out good young players with athleticism, intelligence, physicality and passion for football and we make them earn their stars.

I don't think this team is perfect. But I also don't think they are so fatally flawed anywhere and they look like they can excel at QB, Receiving, Pass rushing, coverage and special teams. That to me looks like a team that is capable of slugging it out with the best teams in the league and winning its share of those matchups. I am very excited about this year.
  18. CyberB0b

3,508 Messages
    1,425 Likes Received
    I am excited, too, but I have been burned too many times by this team to have the kind of optimism I had when I was 9 years old watching America's team dominate the NFL. Let's wait and see what happens.
  19. Eskimo

Eskimo Well-Known Member

12,506 Messages
    78 Likes Received
    Well if you're asking if I"m making a big bet in Vegas on a Cowboys SB win, I am not.

I do think this is a better football team than any we have put out there since 2007 and it may arguably be the most complete roster we have fielded since 1996. We just need our grizzled vets to play at a high level for a couple more years because of the size of their contracts and horrible amount of dead money we'll have if too many kaput early. But if they can play and the kids develop as they have been since Garrett took over we can be a very good team this year.

This game has a tendency to humble us all and I am but one fanatic. I have been somewhat pessimistic in 2011 and 2012 but I think this team will turn the corner this year and put up a winning season and maybe even win a playoff game. They're probably going to be better in 2014 but I think we can compete this year and we will surprise those who have counted us out.