1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Still Think Carolina Not Thinking About Cam Newton?

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by Hostile, Mar 7, 2011.

1. Randy White

Randy White Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

6,116 Messages
    39 Likes Received
    Yup.. no doubt about it. Then again, Ralph Wilson is not exactly a spring chicken either, so..

As I said, personally, I wouldn't bite. Strickly from a football sense, I'd go with my scenario as opposed to moving up.
  2. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,042 Messages
    2,272 Likes Received
    Me too.

This is the type of QB i'd usually stay away from but not in this case.

I think he is going to be a solid guy who can make plays and be tough to bring down.
  3. Stautner

Stautner New Member

10,690 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    What is it that makes Cam Newton the exception?
  4. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,637 Messages
    3,905 Likes Received
    If I was in Ron Rivera I think I would be pushing for more of a sure thing than Cam. We know none of these players are a sure thing but some are more of a risk than others. I see Cam has a big risk guy given the small track record he has. I think my 1st pick ever as a HC would be someone safer.
  5. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,042 Messages
    2,272 Likes Received
    I just like his personality and work ethic.

I think he's a guy that can carry a team on his shoulders if need be.

He's not a day 1 starter by any means but I think in a year or 2 he could be a good QB because of all his intangibles he brings to the table.
  6. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,331 Messages
    228 Likes Received
    You take a guy with the first overall pick in the draft that you KNOW isn't a starter on day one? Or first year for that matter.

Personally, I don't see how anyone would draft him in the top 10. (as a QB anyhow)
  7. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

28,042 Messages
    2,272 Likes Received
    If I were Carolina yes I would take him.

He needs to go to the Bills though because he is the perfect QB to go to battle with in that terrible weather.

All you have to do is teach this guy technique and he has the work ethic to get it done.
  8. 4lifecowboy

4lifecowboy Active Member

835 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    I think with a rookie pay scale being agreed upon,it significantly reduces the risk of taking a risk on a QB with the first over all pick. It shouldn't hamstring a franchise for years for being wrong, this whole draft thing is a calculated gamble and with stakes being reduce it leaves opportunity to go long on odds. TAKE THE QB.
  9. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,855 Messages
    1,697 Likes Received
    known liar and cheat. Thinks of himself as an entertainer and icon. PASS
  10. CanuckCowboysFan

CanuckCowboysFan Benched

2,023 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Everyone beaking this guy will bite their words in a few years. There is no doubt in my mind he'll be a bigger Mike Vick, in the right system . Alot of people are just not a fan or underestimating him. You will see...

1) Newton
    2) Dareus
    3) Gabbert
    4) Green
    5) Miller
    6) Peterson
    7) Prince
    8) Robert Quinn
    9) Nick Fairley
  11. Muhast

Muhast Newo

7,491 Messages
    193 Likes Received
    I think that would be a horrendous idea.

You just drafted 2 QB's in the first 4 rounds last year. Your entire team was terrible, and giving up on them after one year is pretty much conceding your draft was a waste. Which is hard to tell when your team sucks that much.

I think you go for a player with nice reward with a lower risk. Go defense #1. Let some other team miss on Newton. The guy couldn't complete a simple 10 yard out route on either side of the field. He wasn't even within 10 yards of completing it either. Not a good sign when you can't complete a pass with no pass rush.

Star college player who will probably never do anything as a pro. I always like to avoid one year wonders.

Although I will say, I'd hate to be a DL in the NFC south. It's rough having to tackle Josh Freeman, I wouldn't want to have to bring down Cam as well. Those are two big QB's
  12. 4lifecowboy

4lifecowboy Active Member

835 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    Since when did having two or three quality Qbs on your roster become a bad thing, if two or more pan out convert the one least liked to draft picks.
  13. UnoDallas

UnoDallas Benched

5,913 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    now thats a lovely thought

:laugh2:
  14. SMCowboy

SMCowboy Active Member

1,407 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    The NFL is a QB driven league. If you don't have a QB that can lead, you are not going to go anywhere.

Of the 12 teams that made the playoffs last year, only 3 were not taken withing the first 32 picks of the draft (the current first round)....