1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Stray cat bites man and gives him the Plague

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by joseephuss, Feb 4, 2014.

1. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,901 Messages
    990 Likes Received
    http://www.nbcnews.com/id/47832395/...med-oregon-man-bitten-stray-cat/#.UvFEb_tsQSY

BEND, Ore. — Health officials have confirmed that an Oregon man has the plague after he was bitten while trying to take a dead rodent from the mouth of a stray cat.

The unidentified man, who is in his 50s, remained in critical condition Friday at a Bend hospital. His illness marks the fifth case of plague in Oregon since 1995.

State public health veterinarian Dr. Emilio DeBess says the man was infected when he was bitten by the stray his family had befriended. The cat died and its body is being sent to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for testing.
  2. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,026 Messages
    139 Likes Received
    Just another reason to be glad I've already had my Plague vaccination!
    TheCowboy likes this.
  3. MonsterD

MonsterD Quota outta absentia

3,530 Messages
    259 Likes Received
    DIdn't know the other two types besides Bubonic. That is messed up though, wouldn't it be even stronger than the middle ages since it has had 500 years of mutating and being resistant?
  4. BringBackThatOleTimeBoys

BringBackThatOleTimeBoys Active Member

905 Messages
    132 Likes Received
    Don't mess with strays!!!
  5. Keifer

Keifer Active Member

225 Messages
    132 Likes Received
    Another reason why dogs are better. He could have just traded him for a milkbone
  6. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

432 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    Since it is a bacterium you would think it could be treatable with antibiotics (as opposed to a virus).

They don't say anything about that or what his future prognosis is.
  7. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

20,901 Messages
    990 Likes Received
  8. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

5,852 Messages
    1,654 Likes Received
    Antibiotics can treat it but it has to be started early within the first 24-hours.
  9. Gemini Dolly

Gemini Dolly Well-Known Member

6,533 Messages
    614 Likes Received
    I HATE CATS.

I ran over one, (by accident) and felt bad though.
  10. dexternjack

dexternjack World Traveler Zone Supporter

5,852 Messages
    1,654 Likes Received
    Don't like them either but this video is great...........

11. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

36,992 Messages
    3,550 Likes Received
    Many bacterial diseases cause pulmonary symptoms and signs. And almost all diseases can get into the bloodstream in concentrations detectable by testing and/or be tentatively diagnosed by examination and symptoms. Plague is noted for infecting the lymph nodes but other diseases do that as well. They just aren't noted for rapidity of development nor the amount of suppuration. Ring around the rosy pocket full of posies and now I lay me down to sleep, I pray my soul the Lord shall keep, if I should die before I wake I pray the Lord my soul to keep. Not being religious but historical. This is a common childhood prayer rooted in the days of the plague when you could go to sleep well and die in your sleep. The Spanish Flu of Jan 1918 to Dec 1920 (I think 1917 also had victims but not sure) was also a disease that killed overnight and is peculiar in targeting young healthy adults for mortality more so than the young and elderly.

Back to your regularly viewed programs.
  12. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,049 Messages
    7,549 Likes Received
    Don't ever be a rapper.
    jobberone and Idgit like this.
  13. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,835 Messages
    5,549 Likes Received
    Why in the world would you try to take a dead rodent out of the mouth of a stray cat?
  14. barney

barney Active Member

243 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    The title made me laugh
  15. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,523 Messages
    2,211 Likes Received
    Ever seen Ultimate Cheapskates?

That's a free meal.
    Idgit likes this.
  16. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

29,835 Messages
    5,549 Likes Received
    We watched 5-6 episodes of that show before I couldn't take it any more. It's mind-boggling. And, you're joking about the dead rodent, but you might not even be really joking. It wouldn't shock me on that show.
  17. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,523 Messages
    2,211 Likes Received
    Yeah that show is disgusting.

Saw a dude go on a "financial fast" which means his house won't spend money for a week so they can use up all the stuff they have at home in the cupboards. In theory not really a bad idea but this dude was digging for change out of vending machines so he could buy 2 goat heads that he boiled and baked. He ate the eyes and everything.

Some other lady I saw wouldn't buy toilet paper. Lives in an apartment she owns in New York and is a CPA but won't spend money on toilet paper. Instead she rinses herself with a cup of water and if she has to (and I quote) "take a dump", she'll use a small piece of soap to wash.

The worst was the guy who would ask other people for leftovers at a restaurant. I literally couldn't watch.
    Idgit likes this.
  18. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

3,050 Messages
    1,237 Likes Received
    When I was in college I used to manage a restaurant and this server we had would box up the food people had left on their plates. He would take home two or three boxes a night.
  19. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,439 Messages
    1,458 Likes Received

because he was an idiot obviously. Bet he never does it again.
  20. DallasCowpoke

DallasCowpoke Fierce Allegiance

5,379 Messages
    162 Likes Received
    He was probably testing out this sweet new outfit he scored off eBay.

[IMG]
    Idgit likes this.