1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Strongest position in the franchise?

Discussion in 'History Zone' started by pancakeman, Jun 9, 2006.

1. pancakeman

pancakeman Well-Known Member

1,939 Messages
    246 Likes Received
    Okay, off-season thought experiment for you.

As a franchise, at which position do you think the Cowboys have been strongest throughout their history?

I would nominate DT, QB, RB, and WR.

And the second question: At that dominant position, are there other franchises that top the Cowboys?

For example, if you think QB is the strongest franchise position, what other teams might surpass the Cowboys historically - Packers? Colts? Dolphins? 49ers?

Whaddaya think?
  2. Colo

Colo Rocky Mountain High

805 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    We've been strong at QB and RB throughout our history, but I'd have to say our franchise history at RB tops all other teams. I can't think of another team with a RB history as great as ours. Sure, other teams have had great running backs, but to be honest I can't think of one that has had more than one truly great runner like the Cowboys have been blessed with.
  3. Colo

Colo Rocky Mountain High

805 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Okay, maybe Buffalo with OJ and Thurman. Can anyone think of another team with a RB lineage that comes close?
  4. pancakeman

1,939 Messages
    246 Likes Received
    Well, Gale Sayers and Walter Payton make the Bears a contender, though after those two superstars I don't think they've had much.
  5. JackMagist

JackMagist The Great Communicator

5,726 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I think I would take our QB history over just about anyone:

Meredith, Morton, Staubach, White and Aikman
    >Star and Favre
    >Unitas, Jones and Manning
    >Griese and Marino
    >Brody, Montana and Young

I'm not talking about individual players here, I'm talking about total packages of their QB history.

The Bears with Walter Payton and Gale Sayers...Too bad about Sayers knees cutting his career short.

But when you throw in Don Perkins, Calvin Hill, Duane Thomas and Herschal Walker I think the edge has to go to the Cowboys for RB.
  6. pancakeman

1,939 Messages
    246 Likes Received
    And Y.A.Tittle, though he apparently had his very best years as a Giant (this was all way before my time!).
  7. Colo

Colo Rocky Mountain High

805 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Sayers slipped my mind there, so I'd consider them close too. But IMHO, looks like we've got the best line of QBs and RBs going in the league.
  8. bobtheflob

bobtheflob New Member

1,768 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    At RB don't forget the Rams with Faulk, Dickerson, and a young Bettis.
  9. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,821 Messages
    1,678 Likes Received
    46 years for us. We had Thomas, Hill, Garrison, Newhouse, Dorsett, Walker, Warren, Emmitt. There is maybe 10 years or so where we have NOT had a top RB. And even in those years we mostly have had GOOD RB's. Outside of the year with Hambone of course.
  10. CrazyCowboy

CrazyCowboy Well-Known Member

32,183 Messages
    162 Likes Received
    I would say WR.......
  11. lurkercowboy

lurkercowboy Active Member

4,044 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    Don't forget DT. A lot of pro bowls there with Bob Lilly and Randy White leading the way. Throw in Cole, Pugh, Glover, Dutton and even Leon Lett and it makes a pretty strong position.
  12. ravidubey

ravidubey Active Member

4,866 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    The closest to the combo of Emmitt Smith, Tony Dorsett, and Herschel Walker would be Walter Payton, Gale Sayers, and Neal Anderson. But Dorsett's career was better than Sayers by far and I'd take Walker over Anderson in a second.

The Colts have had 1/3 of Eric Dickerson, 1/2 of Marshall Faulk, and all of Edgerrin James. Had they had all three, I'd have to give it to them.
  13. davidyee

davidyee Maple Leaf

3,751 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    ...winning tradition has it's roots in it's long history of success at the skilled offensive positions.

There's a reason to our winning and it starts at QB and RB.
  14. EMMITTnROY

EMMITTnROY Well-Known Member

2,493 Messages
    102 Likes Received
    agree with everyone about RB..

Emmitt, Dorsett, Walker, Perkins, Hill, Thomas, heck, Id even throw in Johnston and Newhouse.. lets hope that we can soon add Julius to those names..

and i agree with the last poster..