1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: StrTgrm: Cowboys owner truly upbeat, or just giving us a line?

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by BrAinPaiNt, Oct 15, 2010.

1. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,705 Messages
    2,732 Likes Received
    BY CLARENCE E. HILL JR.
    chill@star-telegram.com

IRVING -- The Dallas Cowboys' blowout loss to the Minnesota Vikings in the divisional playoffs last year was supposedly a wakeup call to the team's leadership about their deficiencies on the offensive line.

Quarterback Tony Romo was under siege the entire game. He was sacked six times, including three by left end Ray Edwards, who destroyed right tackle Marc Colombo in the 34-3 shellacking.

It was widely surmised that the Cowboys' massive line couldn't handle speed and quickness up front.

Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones said improving the line was priority No. 1 in the off-season, albeit at the right price.

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/10/14/2548355/cowboys-owner-truly-upbeat-or.html#ixzz12QfVQA8S
  2. sago1

sago1 Active Member

7,789 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Last week Davis & Colombo each gave up 2 sacks--contributing to 4 out of the 6 sacks the offense surrounded. Now Gurode is injuried; the only option to replace him is LG Kosier (whose never played OC in an NFL game). Davis & Colombo are the starters at RG & RT, just like they were last year. The only real change in our OL is Doug Free at LT. And Jerry publicly says he feels even better about our OL now then he did in last year's playoff blowout by the Vikes.

Realize Jerry can't publicly express any doubts about our OL & this team. But as President & GM his failure to improve our OL lays squarely at his feet whether in the draft or in FA. After all, he hires the people in charge of our scouting department & the scouts themselves. If we don't have scouts with a proven track record of drafting good OL, then spend the money to add a few who know what they are doing. Jerry just doesn't want to spend a high pick of a promising player either cause they not sexy enough or cause he doesn't trust his scouting department.

Other NFL teams will make sure their QB is adequately protected cause if they can't keep their QB upright they won't win games. The Colts, Pats, etc will draft Ol players early; some will make it and some won't but they will continue to draft because w/o a good OL their offensive can't get the job done.

Now we arrive at what will happen on Sunday. We are desperately want our Cowboys to win--not only to serve up notice that the Cowboys aren't finished this year and also to get revenge against the Vikes for what happened in the playoffs last year. But must admit right now I'm very upset & very angry. Who do I blame if our offense can't get anything done? Romo, who might spend much of the day on his back, while our OL is a swinging door to him. Geez. Not only are we really at risk to go 1-4, we run the real risk of losing Romo.

Frankly, if above happens and I had a ticket to next home game, I think I'd organize Cowboys fans to bring brown bags with them & just before the game starts, I have every fan put the bag over their head protesting Jerry and/or Wade as the face of the Cowboys.
  3. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,705 Messages
    2,732 Likes Received
    BY CLARENCE E. HILL JR.
    chill@star-telegram.com

IRVING -- The Dallas Cowboys' blowout loss to the Minnesota Vikings in the divisional playoffs last year was supposedly a wakeup call to the team's leadership about their deficiencies on the offensive line.

Quarterback Tony Romo was under siege the entire game. He was sacked six times, including three by left end Ray Edwards, who destroyed right tackle Marc Colombo in the 34-3 shellacking.

It was widely surmised that the Cowboys' massive line couldn't handle speed and quickness up front.

Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones said improving the line was priority No. 1 in the off-season, albeit at the right price.

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/10/14/2548355/cowboys-owner-truly-upbeat-or.html#ixzz12WK5c4Bi
  4. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

8,603 Messages
    298 Likes Received
    When does JJ tell the truth? He's like a politician.

Whatever he says, it's the opposite.