1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: StrTgrm: McCann has arrived in style

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by BrAinPaiNt, Nov 22, 2010.

1. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

59,976 Messages
    3,182 Likes Received
    BY JAN HUBBARD
    jhubbard@star-telegram.com

ARLINGTON -- A rookie who is released twice before the season begins and then is signed to a practice squad should not be brimming with confidence or deluded by visions of grandeur.

Don't tell that to Bryan McCann, who has all the traits of a classic defensive back. Part of the emotional makeup required is the ability to forget about negative plays and never lose confidence in your own ability.

That's McCann. Two weeks ago, the free agent from SMU made his NFL debut. If someone had told him at the time that two touchdowns -- a 101-yard interception return and a 97-yard punt return -- were in his future, surely he would have been shocked.

Read more: http://www.star-telegram.com/2010/11/21/2649246/mccann-has-arrived-in-style.html#ixzz160PVIKcK
  2. sago1

sago1 Active Member

7,789 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Good coaching by De(?). McCann was obviously paying attention. His return for a TD IMHO was a game changer when the Cowboys really looked like they need it. Love to hear stories about an undrafted rookie who produces big time for us. Ha. Future opponents might soon start watching out for him.

Hope he continues to be a standout player for us & that good DB coaching help develops him into a quality player. He's got speed, good hands & plays tough. If we had good DB coaching (get rid of Campo), this kid might really develop into pretty good CB or even help out at S. Curious about his size.
  3. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    Late night NBC couldn't even give the kid credit for a great play. They just kept saying he stepped out and the refs blew the call.
  4. followthestar

followthestar Active Member

2,083 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    It's a free play, meaning even if the returner fumbles it, the ball goes back to where the opponent touched it? I'm not into looking up rules, but it would seem you still have to take extreme care on deciding to try and return it. I'm just not sure what they mean by free play...?
  5. dwdj75

dwdj75 Haters gonna Hate

308 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I heard the same thing. Unbelieveable.

Seems if there was any questions, Detroit would have challenged it.
  6. 67CowboysFan

67CowboysFan New Member

2,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Consider the source (dungy). ;)
  7. ChopBlock

ChopBlock Benched

808 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This guy has been a game changer two weeks in a row. Hard to believe he was stuck on the PS the first half of the season while AOA ran straight up the middle on returns for nothing time and again.
  8. starfrombirth

starfrombirth Well-Known Member

3,762 Messages
    399 Likes Received
    I saw the play and it was close but from the angle, I don't know if there was enough to overturn it.
  9. dmq

dmq If I'm so pretty, why am I available?

6,813 Messages
    184 Likes Received
    He did step out of bounds. Regardless it was a great return and I love how fast he reacted on the field. Not sure how this is a free play. So if he fumbles the ball at any point in the return, it isn't really a fumble? It doesn't make sense.
  10. rynochop

rynochop Well-Known Member

2,282 Messages
    160 Likes Received
    Agreed, he did step out, still a gutsy move on his part. If he hadnt have stumbled to let the kicker get him he would have had another return for 100+ yds (iirc)