1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

stuck accelerator takes woman on wild ride

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by lane, Aug 27, 2012.

1. lane

lane The Chairman

11,053 Messages
    909 Likes Received
  2. tupperware

tupperware A Plastic Container

7,269 Messages
    93 Likes Received
    Someone should try to sell Jerry Jones a vehicle from Kia.
  3. AmarilloCowboyFan

AmarilloCowboyFan Well-Known Member

2,416 Messages
    29 Likes Received
  4. 67CowboysFan

67CowboysFan New Member

2,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Turn the key to off?
  5. AmarilloCowboyFan

2,416 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    Indeed. Hitting the shoulder at that speed like that, she is lucky she didn't flip it right off the road.
  6. lane

lane The Chairman

11,053 Messages
    909 Likes Received
    that was my exact thought ...but have never had a reason to try it..

would that work?
  7. lane

lane The Chairman

11,053 Messages
    909 Likes Received

another good option..
  8. 67CowboysFan

67CowboysFan New Member

2,345 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yes it would work. Just don't lock the steering wheel when you do it. I don't think any of the newer cars will let you lock the steering wheel without the car being in park.

Note: If the car was diesel turning off the key only shuts off the fuel. If the engine is pulling oil past the crankcase the engine will still run. Maybe.
  9. WPBCowboysFan

WPBCowboysFan Well-Known Member

5,902 Messages
    2,078 Likes Received
    Seems obvious, but so many people dont really think in those situations. They just act clueless. Actually they are not prepared to act or think in an emergency. They can steer a car and push the pedals but dont really have a grasp on operating a motor vehicle.
  10. RamziD

RamziD Well-Known Member

1,922 Messages
    120 Likes Received
    Learned something useful from this thread. Never thought what I would do in a situation like that.
  11. tupperware

tupperware A Plastic Container

7,269 Messages
    93 Likes Received
    Did you guys watch the video? I could have sworn I heard that she tried to turn the key to off and switch it to park. She even engaged the emergency brake.
  12. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Active Member

9,893 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Then that is a transmission issue not just a stuck accelerator.
  13. Rynie

Rynie Benched

4,606 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Yep...said she couldn't take it out of drive AND the emergency brake was fully engaged. That'd be scary.
  14. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,852 Messages
    1,692 Likes Received
    emergency brakes are weak. They really will not help much with a stuck accelerator
  15. WPBCowboysFan

5,902 Messages
    2,078 Likes Received
    She would have been really unhappy if she had been able to shift it in park at those speeds. Hopefully/maybe there is a safeguard to keep that from happening. Neutral would have been fine. In park, locking up the wheels like that would have been something she couldnt have handled.

Seriously the best thing to do in any emergency situation is to ease off the accelerator, or put the vehicle in neutral and not overreact. The overreactiopn is usually where the real trouble happens. At least in neutral the car just rolls w/o any power and will slow down.
  16. AmarilloCowboyFan

2,416 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    She doesn't say she can't switch out of drive but the reporter says it. That's why I missed that part.

I find it hard to believe that it wouldn't switch to neutral AND the accelerator is stuck both. More than likely just panic on her part.
  17. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,539 Messages
    698 Likes Received
    Holy ****!!! She was ON THE PHONE while this was happening?

Nascar needs her.
  18. WPBCowboysFan

5,902 Messages
    2,078 Likes Received
    This!
  19. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,921 Messages
    1,506 Likes Received
    http://autos.aol.com/article/stuck-gas-pedal-takes-woman-on-crazy-ride/

Ulvestad told KCCI-TV in Des Moines that as she passed Osceola she was told to lift up the accelerator and push on the brake.

"And so I did that, and it slammed me from 119 mph to like nothing," she said.

Lyon said Ulvestad had attempted everything the 911 operator - who was in constant contact with the Highway Patrol's headquarters in Jefferson City - told her to do, including trying to shift the vehicle into neutral. The vehicle had a "proximity key," Lyon said, which allows someone to start the car without a real key when they're close enough to it.
  20. Nomad

Nomad Active Member

433 Messages
    54 Likes Received
    I remember when all this was going on with Toyotas, there was a similar story where an off-duty cop and his family rented or test drove a Lexus and the peddle stuck .The Lexus was made where you couldn't turn the key off without punching a small button or something and he couldn't get N either, he was on a cell phone also and I think they died.

I think adding all this automatic "safety" computer aided stuff to cars has drawbacks because you don't have complete control of the vehicle.