1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Student left in cell for 5 days wants $20 million from DEA

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by joseephuss, May 3, 2012.

1. joseephuss

joseephuss Well-Known Member

21,895 Messages
    1,494 Likes Received
    $4 million per day seems fair. :rolleyes:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/05/college-student-cell-dea.html

Student left in cell for 5 days wants $20 million from DEA

Daniel Chong, a 23-year-old UC San Diego student whose five-day ordeal behind bars has made national headlines, plans to sue the Drug Enforcement Administration over the incident, his attorney said.

The DEA apologized Wednesday to Chong, who was accidentally left unattended in a holding cell for five days and reportedly drank his own urine to survive.

San Diego attorney Gene Iredale said his client was "still recovering" from the ordeal. The attorney submitted the initial paperwork needed for a lawsuit Wednesday. The claim seeks $20 million in compensation for the incident.

"He is glad to be alive," Iredale said of Chong. "He wants to make sure that what happened to him doesn't happen to anyone else."

News of the incident came to light when Chong told a San Diego television station he spent nearly a week in the cell without food, water or access to a toilet after an April 21 raid on a house in San Diego.

The DEA, which identified Chong only as "the individual in question," said he and eight others were swept up during a raid of a suspected Ecstasy distribution operation where agents found guns, ammunition, 18,000 Ecstasy pills and other drugs.
    The nine suspects were taken to a DEA area headquarters, where they were fingerprinted, photographed and interviewed, the agency said. After processing, seven were taken to a county detention facility and one was released.

Chong, the agency said, was "accidentally left in one of the cells." He told NBC San Diego he kicked the door "many, many times" in a futile attempt to get agents' attention.

When they finally found Chong, he was taken to Sharp Memorial Hospital, where he spent five days. Iredale said Chong, who was close to kidney failure and had trouble breathing, spent three of those days in the intensive-care unit.
  2. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Bad Santa Staff Member

61,243 Messages
    4,572 Likes Received
    I'm Hungry.

Think I will have some steak off the grill when I get home...maybe a nice warm glass of urine to go with it.
  3. Cowboys&LakersFan

Cowboys&LakersFan Benched

14,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
  4. vta

vta The Proletariat

8,746 Messages
    5 Likes Received
    Don't do drugs dude...
  5. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    I'd bet he wants more for almost dying than the time he actually spent behind bars.
  6. zrinkill

zrinkill Diamond surrounded by trash

33,048 Messages
    794 Likes Received
    [IMG]

I am really disappointed nobody made this comment.
  7. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    The DEA has had some major screw-ups over the last few years. This is not as bad as many of them.
  8. Dallas

Dallas Old bulletproof tiger

11,514 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    :bow: :laugh2: :laugh2:

It's 8am at 15k feet. Im thirsty! Think I'll drink my urine.
  9. Faerluna

Faerluna I'm Complicated

5,144 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Worse that leaving someone handcuffed in a windowless cell without food and water for 5 days? :eek:
  10. joseephuss

21,895 Messages
    1,494 Likes Received
    Mike Leach has no problems with it.
  11. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    20 million to the incarceration system is nothing. I say let them pay it.
  12. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

78,457 Messages
    3,772 Likes Received
    It was not until his friend Cheech went to the DEA to find out where he was. :laugh2:
  13. joseephuss

21,895 Messages
    1,494 Likes Received
    That is not the point. They screwed up, but he isn't deserving of $20 million dollars. There have been guys falsely imprisoned for years, even decades that don't get $20 million.
  14. joseephuss

21,895 Messages
    1,494 Likes Received
    They knocked to check on him, but he kept saying "Dave's not here".
  15. Doomsday101

78,457 Messages
    3,772 Likes Received
    No man I'm dave. :laugh2:
  16. CowboyMcCoy

CowboyMcCoy Business is a Boomin

12,749 Messages
    234 Likes Received
    Yeah, but they almost killed this guy in a matter of 5 days. I think that falls under cruel and unusual punishment.

Just as we are responsible for our own individual actions, the state should be responsible for theirs--lest they pay the price.
  17. joseephuss

21,895 Messages
    1,494 Likes Received
    But that price is not $20 million. Bring that number way down. And it wasn't punishment. Punishment implies they did it on purpose. They made a mistake, a bad mistake, but a mistake nonetheless.
  18. Doomsday101

78,457 Messages
    3,772 Likes Received
    I would bring in an arbitrator to see if he thinks the guy’s life is worth 20 mill.

After long and hard consideration we think your life and all body part included are worth 1 buck 50. :laugh1:
  19. Sarge

Sarge Happy Holidays Staff Member

21,084 Messages
    1,937 Likes Received
    Gimme 10 cases of PBR and I'll walk away - no questions asked.
  20. casmith07

casmith07 I'm the best poster in the game!

27,576 Messages
    2,950 Likes Received
    Don't do meth.