1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Study: Health Care Reform Mandate Will Punish Employers, Kill Jobs

Discussion in 'Political Zone' started by JBond, Aug 27, 2009.

1. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,711 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    Study: Health Care Reform Mandate Will Punish Employers, Kill Jobs

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/200...re-reform-mandate-punish-employers-kill-jobs/

A provision in President Obama's health care reform plan that requires businesses to offer health insurance to their workers or face a federal tax would cost employers at least $49 billion dollars a year, putting 5.2 million employees at risk of unemployment or underemployment, according to a new study.

"Health care reform is not going to be free," said economist Mark Wilson, who authored the study, which was commissioned by the conservative Heritage Foundation.

Under the provision, known as the play-or-pay mandate, another 10.2 million employees will face stunted wages and the loss of their benefits as employers try to find ways to fund the mandates.

"Those will be a difficult decision for them to make and they're also going to have to decide to the extent they can raise prices and pass the cost onto consumers," Wilson said.

But supporters of Obama's health reform plan say under the current system, thousands already are losing their health coverage or jobs because of the enormous costs employers are bearing.

"What we need to think about in health reform is how to make the system more efficient, how to make sure the system is protecting jobs, and that's exactly what health reform will do," said Peter Harbage, a health policy analyst with the liberal Center for American Progress.

White House spokesman Bill Burton said Thursday that without health reform the entire U.S. economy faces ruin.

"If we don't do something, not only is health care going to be in crisis, but the deficit will -- we just will not be on a fiscally sustainable path as it relates to the deficit," he said.

And as the financial realities of health reform are coming together there are questions about why tort reform isn't part of the package.

At a town hall hosted by Democratic Rep. Jim Moran this week, one person demanded to know why the threat of medical lawsuits couldn't be reduced.

"There's $200 million dollars in savings over 10 years if we had tort reform and nobody loses but the lawyers," the person said before shouting, "Why have we not even considered that?"

Former Democratic National Committee Chairman Howard Dean, a proponent of health reform, responded that tort reform would create more enemies for lawmakers as they try to pass a reform bill.

"Plain and simple truth," he said.

The president of the American Medical Association says without more protections for doctors in the courtroom they will continue to order tests that may be unnecessary and drive up health care costs simply to protect themselves.
  2. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Tell me something I don't know.
  3. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,001 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    That a Heritage Foundation sponsered study would come to the conclusion that Obama's health care ideas are terrrrrible?

That the AMA wants out of the burden of malpractice suits, but doesn't really want to police it's bad members who screw up and help drive the bills up for everyone?

That the insurance lobby loves ideas that will keep them from having to pay out money, for whatever reason imaginable?

Business as usual won't work either.

Hmn, I guess none of those should really qualify on your question....

It probably will take some compromises on insurance, doctor accountability, and health coverage to come up with a more balanced system. That might work.
  4. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

34,171 Messages
    1,291 Likes Received
    Are you saying that Conservatives want to take a "Business as Usual" approach to healthcare?
  5. JBond

JBond Well-Known Member

6,711 Messages
    29 Likes Received
    Are you in favor of trying a true free market approach?

Government created this problem and now they want to tax us to fix their screw ups.
  6. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

5,001 Messages
    124 Likes Received
    It would be a novel approach, since it has never existed.

I'm on record as thinking that a completely unfettered free market approach is utopian. Many government constraints exist because of 'free market' abuses of the past.
  7. SuspectCorner

SuspectCorner Bromo

7,523 Messages
    14 Likes Received
  8. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received
  9. SuspectCorner

SuspectCorner Bromo

7,523 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    So how do you feel about Warren Buffet, Artie? Just curious.
  10. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    The same who supported Obama and now says we are on our way to a banana republic?

Suspect...whose side are you on?
    You are a white heterosexual ,male.
    The White House has declared war on you.
    I am brown Suspect...i am your friend.
    I have been warning you about the Van Jones,Holdrens,Sustains....
    this is not about left or right anymore.

It is about America...it is under attack from an inside enemy.
    Everyone can see it.
  11. SuspectCorner

SuspectCorner Bromo

7,523 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    Sorry, Artie. That's a lotta hooey ala Glenn Beck. Has nothing to do with my pigmentation or sexual persuasion. Or your's either, for that matter.

'Fear of change' will always be the biggest obstacle to change - but sometimes change is necessary.

Whoever Van Jones has been in his life - he is as capable of change as you and I.

Van Jones is currently a vociferous advocate of the US moving from an economy mired in fossil fuels to one on the leading edge of developing renewable 'green' technologies.

The status quo is based on limited resources and the other - limitless resources. Resist it though you may - some country has to emerge on the leading edge of that forward-thinking movement. And they will gain market advantage. Why not us?

We as a nation, cannot sustain a healthy middle class without a robust manufacturing sector. We've overemphasized the service and financial sectors for too long. The financial sector in particular has proven to be a fiction. It only operates efficiently when in support of ag and manufacturing. It's a dangerous bubble when left to it's own devices. Green technologies is a sunrising opportunity to revive the manufacturing base that established this country as a superpower.

We're the same country that reached the moon within a decade. We can pull together and pull this off - reviving a balanced economy.

We simply have to.

[youtube]fRDsD0SyG0w&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

[youtube]ZNvhXlohybs&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

[youtube]iLMtUBPUyT0&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]
  12. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    Hedge your bets on him Suspect..Good luck.
    You will need it.
    Israel Bissell was crazy
    Paul Revere?...a loon
    Winston Churchill?...beyond maniacal.

Nothing is happenning...everything is alright.
  13. SuspectCorner

SuspectCorner Bromo

7,523 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    No, brother. Something IS happening.. and it needs to happen. And it's up to each as to whether they want to be a facilitator - or a fear-laden barrier to the necessary.

Review the changes of - say - the last thirty years... and see if that doesn't provide a clue as to where we ought to be headed.

We have to re-establish the middle class in our country - this is the beeline to doing that.
  14. MetalHead

MetalHead Benched

6,031 Messages
    1 Likes Received

I know you are smarter than that Sus.
    That Van Jones is a radical communist...self admitted communist in the White House,and you still think Dick Cheney is your enemy.
    Suspect,open your eyes brother...this is not about political parties anymore.
    Not about Republicans nor Democrats...look it up.
  15. SuspectCorner

SuspectCorner Bromo

7,523 Messages
    14 Likes Received
    Just a reminder: To this very day Dick Cheney advocates the use of torture - and torture is illegal according to our own laws as well as the various international treaties and agreements to which we are a signatory.

But Van Jones, at some point in his life, has said he's a 'communist'.

Please show me how that admission, even assuming it actually occurred, caused the life of another to be placed in jeopardy.

But Van Jones is the one to be feared?

Right.

C'mon, Artie - and you ask me to open MY eyes?
  16. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

40,938 Messages
    1,206 Likes Received
    Just like silver don't bother with suspect Artie. His eyes are welded shut and his mind is closed. All the troubles we have had in the last 30 years and he thinks we are on the right road tells you all you need to know.