1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Stuffy Noses

Discussion in 'Off-topic Zone' started by TheCowboy, Feb 3, 2011.

1. TheCowboy

TheCowboy The Teen

2,482 Messages
    497 Likes Received
    What is the fastest and most efficient way to get rid of a Stuffy Nose or just a cold on general?
  2. CowboyFan74

CowboyFan74 Cowboys Analyst

12,605 Messages
    538 Likes Received
    Hot tea with two lemons, honey, ginger, and a whole bunch of cayenne pepper...
  3. ethiostar

ethiostar Well-Known Member

6,307 Messages
    45 Likes Received
    Close the door in the bathroom and sit in there for 15-20 minutes while you let the hot water run.

You can also use a hot air humidifier in a room with a little bit of vicks or eucalyptus oil added to it.

Also, you can boil some water in a pot and add then some vicks or eucalyptus oil in the water (make sure with the lid covered to maintain the steam), grab a towel and cover your head with it and lean over the pot and inhale/exhale (of course remove the lid right before you are ready to lean over the pot).

Good luck.
  4. CanadianCowboysFan

CanadianCowboysFan Lightning Rod

15,434 Messages
    373 Likes Received
    Nasal spray works for me along with Advil Cold and Sinus
  5. Go Big D!

Go Big D! Destination End Zone

1,758 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I agree with the nasal spray. It will dry up up quick but do not over use it as it will dry out your mucous membranes.

Zicam also works really fast. The trick with Zicam is to use it at the first sign of a cold.
  6. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    Get a decongestant.
  7. Go Big D!

1,758 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Mucinex D is the best OTC, imo.
  8. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,528 Messages
    2,215 Likes Received
    I dunno.

Stimulants work too. If the guy has a good meth connect, he'd probably get a lot of stuff done and cure the stuffy nose all in one.
  9. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    CS gas *military folks will understand* :D
  10. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,008 Messages
    1,009 Likes Received
    Yup, I took Mucinex D and nasal spray and they made my last terrible cold tolerable.
  11. CATCH17

CATCH17 1st Round Pick

27,765 Messages
    1,968 Likes Received
    Does the Zone have any Doctors?
  12. notherbob

notherbob Active Member

2,856 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    Nothing will cure a cold but if all you have is a stuffy nose, breathing in the fumes from crushed raw non-irradiated garlic will open up the sinuses and kill any bacteria present.

If it's a cold, I use Drisdan and Contac nasal decongestant together to relieve symptoms so I can work. They make life more tolerable but it's still going to take a couple of weeks to go away completely but at least I'm not snivelling and miserable.
  13. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,004 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    I thought everything with a D at the end was prescription. The D being for that it contains Pseudoephedrine.

For instance, you can get Claritin over the counter, but Claritin D is prescription. Sudafed and Sudafed D.
  14. CliffnMesquite

CliffnMesquite Well-Known Member

4,190 Messages
    84 Likes Received
    I use an over the counter decongestant.
  15. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,953 Messages
    4,302 Likes Received
    NOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[IMG]
  16. Yeagermeister

Yeagermeister Active Member

47,576 Messages
    9 Likes Received
    I remember that day in 87 vividly. :eek:

:laugh1:
  17. Go Big D!

1,758 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    It definitely empties out your sinus cavity, that's for sure!
    hmm, we can get Mucinex D OTC here in the meth capitol of the world so I think you may be able to as well, lol. But you'll have to check with your pharmacy. :D
  18. BrAinPaiNt

BrAinPaiNt Brotherhood of the Beard Staff Member

60,953 Messages
    4,302 Likes Received
    I can get Claratin D over the counter at wally world where I live.

You just have to sign those papers that some over the counter meds have (I guess to keep track of you in case you are a smurf buying up stuff for meth labs).

Hmmm...maybe they have you on the list and just tell you that you have to have a prescription. :p: ;)
  19. Faerluna

Faerluna I'm Complicated

5,144 Messages
    4 Likes Received
    Another natural remedy to dry/clear sinuses is a neti pot. If you have never used one before, you may or may not like it.

You use warm water and a "salt" packet that comes with it. It looks like a genie lamp with a long tip and you lean over the sink while sticking the end in one nostril, then slowly pouring the fluid into your nose. It makes its way through your sinuses, then out the other nostril into the sink. Then you just blow your nose a few times afterward to get out any loose snot or remaining liquid.

You have to make sure you breathe through your mouth, and don't panic if you start to feel like you are drowning. :D
  20. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,004 Messages
    2 Likes Received
    Maybe I'm wrong. I know when I picked up some Claritin D after visiting the doctor. She said for me to get 10 pills, the pharmacy ask if I wanted more than 10. That kind of confused me, but I said give me what she said to give me.

I know I had to show my ID to buy it though. The government keeps track of how much you are buying. (since you can cook it. :laugh2: )