1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Sturm: A Brief History of 12 Personnel (long)

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jun 10, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

64,876 Messages
    3,812 Likes Received
    I was going through my notes to see when we really started talking about one of the latest trends to the NFL and you will be interested to know that not so long ago - as late 2008 - we as football fans associated 2 tight ends on the field as a running posture, formation, and personnel group.

This is because the NFL did, too. The Cowboys had their elite #1 tight end in the form of the great Jason Witten, and that seemed to lock down that spot rather comfortably from the first draft of the new Bill Parcells regime. The premise of putting multiple tight ends on the field at the same time was a great way to cause mass confusion down on the goal-line when the defense adjusted to your personnel substitutions by sitting on the run, only to have your QB pull the ball back and then lob it to your blocking tight end who is standing all alone in the shadow of the goal post. It was sound tactically to assume that a man who was a blocker was always going to block. Remember, what is now basic football, was still being figured out in 2010 when the New England Patriots took Arizona's Rob Gronkowski in the 2nd round and Florida's Aaron Hernandez in the 5th round of that draft.

Before that, others had tried it, but nobody had married the idea as a major part of their attack that proved as effective as the design had hoped.

Locally, Jason Garrett had seen the future, and he tried to make it happen before the Patriots ever did. As early as 2008, it was clear what he was thinking, and although it never fully was realized, looking back, his position as a bright offensive mind seems safe in the retelling of the evolution.

Read the rest: http://sturminator.blogspot.com/2013/06/a-brief-history-of-12-personnel.html
  2. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,119 Messages
    1,870 Likes Received
    I'm actually shocked that Dallas used so little of the 12 formation.

I would have thought it was higher simply because Witten never really came out of the game.

Not even 1/3rd of the time during it's highest season?

That's shockingly low, IMO.
  3. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member

3,404 Messages
    1,322 Likes Received
    They tried to run it in the Parcells era when they drafted Fasano. I seem to remember the Colts running it a lot back then.
  4. jobberone

jobberone Orangutans make great guitarists Staff Member

35,887 Messages
    3,038 Likes Received
    Anytime you can put guys who are 6-4 to 6-6 and run a 4.5-4.6 on a DB or LB then you have a big mismatch; unless the LB is nearly as big and can run as well or better. That's the point of putting these hybrid guys out there as well as making the D play the run and pass st8 up.
  5. nalam

nalam The realist Zone Supporter

1,307 Messages
    61 Likes Received
    The basic requirement is those TEs catch the ball consistently.

With Tellus' dropsies Romo didnt trust him and that did not work.

Hope Escobar ' best hands ' changes all that and Hanna the WR (speed guy)can develop into a sure thing.
  6. NorthTexan95

NorthTexan95 Active Member

1,219 Messages
    12 Likes Received
    I was a little disappointed in the article. It was merely about the Cowboys recent attempts to run dual tight ends instead of the NFL as a whole.

I was expecting it to go much further into history and talk about other teams like how Holmgren ran two tight ends at Green Bay in the 90's and gave the Cowboys defense absolute fits in the playoffs. I guess Sturm kinda spoils us.
  7. jobberone

jobberone Orangutans make great guitarists Staff Member

35,887 Messages
    3,038 Likes Received

Yep. All receivers need to catch the ball within their own catch radius. People are going to love Escobar unless he suddenly gets the drops. Not only is his catch radius good but he tracks the ball well making the adjustments he needs to get to the ball. It's the latter which makes for his wow factor.