1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Sturm: Cowboys DC Rob Ryan exits stage left

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Jan 9, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Do it for the Vine! Staff Member

66,182 Messages
    5,733 Likes Received
    January 9, 2013
    Yet, last week, I was ready to try to interpret the "uncomfortable change" that was around the corner according to an irate Jones a few days after the failure in Washington.

I was pretty sure it would be a new play-caller on offense. But, a change in the coach running the defense? Here is what I wrote about it (please note that I felt the conversation barely needed to happen given that a long-winded guy only used one paragraph for the entire discussion):
    I also don't think I would campaign for a dismissal of Rob Ryan. I believe in what he likes to do and although nobody wants to hear this, I still don't think we have much of an idea of what he would like to do with this crew. In 2011, he had a very poor personnel situation at corner and in 2012, he enjoyed about a month of Sean Lee and Bruce Carter together with a legit pair of corners. They need health and a better defensive line group, but this defense is not far away if you ask me.
    So, that was that. Done and dusted.

Until yesterday when Ryan was fired.

Read more: http://www.foxsportssouthwest.com/0...eft-/landing.html?blockID=846881&feedID=10194
  2. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,629 Messages
    6,393 Likes Received
    This is what happens when you submit an article while the team's in the middle of making its staffing changes. Not much to talk about when you don't know whom they're replacing Ryan with.
  3. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,536 Messages
    8,485 Likes Received
    Great stuff by Sturm. He's a tell it like it is, don't care who likes it breath of fresh air.
  4. Risen Star

21,536 Messages
    8,485 Likes Received
    You can't say it any better than that.
  5. silver

silver Well-Known Member

5,399 Messages
    311 Likes Received
    the culture remains intact
  6. Risen Star

21,536 Messages
    8,485 Likes Received
    Yep. That's the story. Most are too distracted to notice.
  7. Idgit

30,629 Messages
    6,393 Likes Received
    Sturm's great. But there's no way to fairly criticize the moves at this point until you get the context under which they were made. If we'd arbitrarily fired these two because that's what we thought was wrong with the team, it's one thing. If we let Skip go because we're reorging the entire offensive coaching staff to bring in another senior offensive coach, it could be entirely different. Similarly with letting your DC go in favor of an upgrade. Until we know what the team is actually doing, it's too soon to criticize accurately.

That said, the guy has an article to write, and the issues obviously had to be addressed. We're analyzing moves that haven't bee completed at this point.
  8. Phrozen Phil

Phrozen Phil Active Member

3,880 Messages
    13 Likes Received
    Are they? There's been plenty of criticism of Jones' managerial style over the years. Until that changes, it will continue to impede progress.
  9. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Yep. If you breakdown what the Cowboys actually do on defense, rather than cling to elementary text book concepts of what a 3-4 or 4-3 is, the switch is not a huge transition for the Front 7. They've been playing 4-3 techniques the entire time.

If anything, I think the bigger issue with bringing in Lovie is in the secondary if he's going to want to play a lot of zone, particularly how that effect what Claiborne and Carr do best in press man.
  10. Idgit

30,629 Messages
    6,393 Likes Received
    Both CBs play press man effectively, but they're both also effective in space. I don't think that's going to be a problem.

We're going to need better S play, though. I know you know that, too.
  11. Risen Star

21,536 Messages
    8,485 Likes Received
    You obviously didn't read his article or it went right over your head. It's not about the names leaving and going. It's who is the driving force behind this change?

Answer that question correctly and I'll know whether the arrow's up or down. Sturm thinks down. I wouldn't bet against him.
  12. Idgit

30,629 Messages
    6,393 Likes Received
    I set aside the Jerry-is-the-source-of-all-evil backdrop, because I somehow knew you might agree with it and I thought, just maybe, there'd be a chance we could discuss it somewhere down the line this offseason.

The only new meat on this old bone is the coaching-move stuff, and that's not done yet, so it's premature to criticize it one way or another.
  13. Risen Star

21,536 Messages
    8,485 Likes Received
    Anytime an owner is telling the head coach who to hire and fire on his staff it's a bad thing. It's a team killing thing.

Sturm thinks it might be the case. I agree with him.

So it's not really about who the new DC is. It's who brought him there. That's all I care about. It will tell me all I need to know about the remainder of Garrett's head coaching tenure here.
  14. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

22,926 Messages
    2,154 Likes Received
    As soon as Ryan was canned, my first assumption was that he (intentionally or unintentionally) was undermining Garrett.
    I'm not defending Garrett per se, just saying that I could see this happening from a person (Ryan) in a position of power, who is tight with his players, and who under duress will say almost anything.

My biggest gripe with Jerry is like so many other here--he won't hire a coach and let the coach build his own staff. It is so incredibly important, yet he keeps undermining the coach in this way. How can you get everyone on board if...there not all on board with the leader.

Who knows, maybe Garrett voiced his opinion on this and said he wants to pick his staff going forward.
    No idea.
  15. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,403 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    Sturm gets it.

It's staggering that some around here want to view the re-arranging of chairs on the Titanic as some dynamic Lutheran reform. (or who will just try kissing JJ's butt for tickets or favors)

The lunatics are still running the asylum...and they want yes-boys to follow their lunatic orders without question. Rob Ryan wasn't going to last long in that kind of culture.
  16. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,403 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    Jones doesn't tell Jason who to hire. Jerry just hires the guy.

Ryan wasn't brought in on Jason's authority...and I seriously doubt Jason's authority had much to do with Ryan's departure.

We do agree it's a franchise-toxic practice.
  17. Redball Express

Redball Express All Aboard!!!

3,068 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    ..just a tad too self-serving and I told you so.

I can come to these conclusions just as easily without this writer.

Oh my..

Ok..our owner is self-centered, unpredictable and over-possessive of his HC.

We all get it.

Now what..?

Rubbing it in the fans faces is not reporting. It's merely being observant and biased at that.

Give us the skinny on who is going to be the next head to roll or who the other assistant who was also supposedly fired but it hasn't been made public.

Real news. Not rambling recounting of your word prowess.

OMG.

:starspin RedBaLL ExPreSS:starspin