1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Sturm - Decoding Garrett - Are we in survival mode?

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Gaede, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,035 Messages
    934 Likes Received
    I love posting Sturm's articles because he has great evidence and is also very fair

I found his latest article to be disturbing

http://sturminator.blogspot.ca/

Garrett's offense gets worse by the year. Sure, there's some excuses for the lack of productivity. At the end of the year, excuses don't matter and what you actually accomplished does. Garrett got hired because he won multiple games with Kitna as a QB. He succeeded despite having every reason not to.

Doesn't it trouble everyone that year by year, week by week, Garrett's offense gets more and more predictable? Running less effectively and reverting to shotgun so frequently?
  2. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,403 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    Once again...the best read in town.

And the view of the horizon for Cowboy fans? Bleak beyond words.
  3. rickjameschinaclub

rickjameschinaclub Benched

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This Murray point, I had made in another previous thread. The idea that Murray's injury is what has caused a decline in the running game is utter nonsense, considering 3 of the 5 games he was in and ran the ball, we were clearly not even breaking I believe 50 yrds per game.

Also, the 'success' of JG during that year was, frist and foremost, Jerry threatening everybody with their jobs, and second, which was a corollary of the first, more turnovers on defense.
  4. Illini88228

Illini88228 Well-Known Member

1,210 Messages
    130 Likes Received
    I think the point isn't so much that Garrett loves the shotgun as it is that the shotgun is the only thing this team does with any semblence of a chance of success. They've tried to be more balanced in the first halves of these games and they are getting killed.
  5. Bluestang

Bluestang Well-Known Member

5,548 Messages
    729 Likes Received
    Bob Sturm would be the first guy to tell you that the OL is the problem.
  6. rickjameschinaclub

rickjameschinaclub Benched

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    Bob Sturm ain't on the JG bandwagon no more...
  7. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,035 Messages
    934 Likes Received
    Absolutely, but you can tell in the tone of his articles that blame is being shifted to the decision makers as well.
  8. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

38,859 Messages
    4,423 Likes Received
    This team has too many holes for anyone to succeed right now. You have the B team on the field with some exceptions.
  9. visionary

visionary Well-Known Member

7,830 Messages
    2,322 Likes Received
    that article is as big an indictment of this offense as i have seen to date

JG has no idea what he is doing out there

how anyone can defend this clown after reading this article is completely beyond me
  10. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,833 Messages
    7,557 Likes Received
    Sturm's great. I'm surprised anyone thought we were going to do anything other than we did last week on offense. The writing was on the wall, and going down by 25 at halftime pretty much carved it in the wall. What's more, I'm not sure if Sturm's suggesting we actually should have done something else, or not.

No doubt, it's a bad position to be in. But it's the position we're in. What else are you going to do at that point? That's not rhetorical, I'm curious what armchair OCs think we should be doing differently given the state of the running game, OL, and the game situation from last week.
  11. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,035 Messages
    934 Likes Received
    I agree, it's pretty clear that there is no other option. I would never guess how to fix this offense. People who think they know better are not being honest.

The reason I posted this, however, is just to show the general decline in the offense's effectiveness over the years. Lamenting that this how far we've sunk.
  12. vlad

vlad Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

1,085 Messages
    81 Likes Received
    Seriously, how do we get Bob Sturm more whatever - air time, articles, influence, etc---he's a credible journalist in a sea of bloggers and tabloid nonsense.
  13. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

3,102 Messages
    1,299 Likes Received
    Embrace the position you’re in. Realize you cannot run the ball and that your offense works better in at a rapid pace.

Start the game the way we have played in the second half. Use the pass to set up the run; call more draw plays.
  14. blindzebra

blindzebra Well-Known Member

9,506 Messages
    794 Likes Received
    Stats are great except when they are not in context.

Would Murray fix the running game?

No, but he gives us the best chance at balance and he is a much more reliable receiving threat. Allowing us to run the quick short stuff that works like a run and gives us fewer 3rd and longs.
  15. 28 Joker

28 Joker 28 Joker

7,878 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I'm glad Bob Sturm channeled some objectivity and some courage in order to point out what is killing Dallas' running game. Felix Jones is the "convenient", "easy" scape-goat for many in the DFW media and for some. However, Jones averaged 4.5 YPC in 2011; and his numbers were close to Murray's that year. The Rams game really helped Murray last year.

I watched the Baltimore game, and I saw Jones and Murray combine for 185 yards rushing and 1 TD and 32 attempts. That was Dallas' best offensive game of the season, imo. Those rushing lanes have been a distant memory for a good while. Moreover, I'm still shocked by that loss. The Cowboys lost Phil Costa's run blocking in the first half of the Carolina game. That really hurt the running game, because Costa was excellent against Haloti Ngata. The Cowboys destroyed Baltimore by running inside. Costa is a good run blocker, and he played in 2 games. The Cowboys need to address the center position in the off-season, imo. Losing Martellus Bennett's edge run blocking has hurt big, too. I can recall one run in the Carolina game where I think Bennett's size and strength against a defensive lineman could have helped spring a 40 yard TD for Jones. It was just a small crack, but the field was wide open. If Jones gets through, he's gone.

Would anyone argue against re-placing any of offensive linemen not named Tyron Smith? I sure wouldn't. I don't know how you do that. Dallas' offensive line has been broken since before the start of the 2010 season, and Felix Jones put up 800 rushing yards (185 rushes) and a 4.3 YPC that year. The 2012 run blocking makes the 2010 unit look great.

This year, DeMarco Murray had that rough 3 game stretch or the 3/5 below 50 yards rushing that Sturm references in support of his position. Also, Murray had 13 negative runs during his first 4 games. Murray averaged 2.6 YPC during that three game stretch against Seattle, Tampa Bay, and Chicago. After week 4, the Cowboys ranked 30th in rush offense. Felix Jones had 3 rushes. The Cowboys did open some inside holes for Murray against the Giants during the second half. Murray went 12-111 in the second half of that game, but his 48 yard run was crazy.

After the 2010 season, Bob Sturm called Felix Jones a "foundation piece". You can see it here. He talks about "fixing the offensive line", too.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/da...-analysis-felix-jones-a-foundation-piece1.ece

Some people want to point the finger at Felix Jones, however, the run blocking has failed him miserably this season. This year Jones has quality, good games against Baltimore, Philadelphia, and Atlanta. Not getting Jones the football nearly enough in Atlanta (9-39 / 4.3 YPC) helped prove fatal in that game. However, no one really cared to report it or hold the coaches accountable for that fact. The next week, Jones gets it 16 times and averages 4.4 YPC and rushes for 71 yards. However, the Cowboys got away from Jones in that game and lost control of the game. They didn't go back to him at the start of the 2nd half, either. I think the Carolina game will serve Jones very well, because he really showed his toughness in that game. Felix was at 4.8 YPC in the second half of the Cleveland game, but that 2nd half mark was killed by the 3 goal-line carries (at his own end). Also, Dallas went back to running what worked in the Philadelphia and Atlanta games (during the second half of the Cleveland game). Why couldn't they just do that in the first half?

If you put Felix Jones behind Denver's line, he's gong off. He just might get his chance, too. I look for Felix to end up in Denver, Green Bay, or Atlanta next year. I think Jones will get a great chance to start despite the tough numbers this year, and he will not cost a fortune for the team that signs him. I can see Jones running, catching and running, and blocking for Peyton Manning next year. If not, I see Green Bay and Atlanta as good fits. Green Bay needs a running back who can do all three things. I think they would be interested in Felix, and I'd be interested in seeing what their coaching staff could do with him. However, Denver's offensive line is one of the best run blocking lines in the NFL.

Maybe, the Cowboys can fix the offensive line/run blocking before DeMarco Murray's rookie deal is up. Some better coaching wouldn't hurt, either. Jones has battled very poor run blocking and the coaches during his time in Dallas.
  16. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

31,833 Messages
    7,557 Likes Received
    You might be the most interesting cat I've ever come across on a message board.

I hope you keep on chugging next season and find a third player/topic to post about, because I like your posts, and I think your devotion is fascinating.
  17. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,784 Messages
    1,665 Likes Received
    Ngata injured his MCL early in that game; so giving costa cred is not correct
  18. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,598 Messages
    3,131 Likes Received
    Funny coming from the person who ripped Costa over his poor play at the beginning of last season– which was due in part to his injuries.

I never read a post from you saying, "I wonder how much of Costa's bad play was due to his injuries?"

But when Costa totally dominates someone, you cry foul and it was all due to his opponent being injured.

Comical! :laugh2:
  19. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,784 Messages
    1,665 Likes Received
    hey ostrich- think about this:

The ONLY game that Costa looked really good in his main opponent had an injured Knee.
  20. MichaelWinicki

MichaelWinicki "You want some?" Staff Member

32,598 Messages
    3,131 Likes Received
    And Costa's worse games was when he was injured.

So... What else you got?