1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Sturm - Decoding Garrett - Offense going all shotgun?

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Gaede, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,338 Messages
    414 Likes Received
    Another great article from Sturm, however, this is a little more disconcerting than others.

http://sturminator.blogspot.ca/

With the state of the running game and patch-work OL, looks like we've been forced into a very scary situation. Should we go all shotgun all the time?

Play with fire...we know how that ends up.
  2. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

11,470 Messages
    471 Likes Received
    I have been against our rampant use of Shotgun for a while now. Ideally, I think shotgun should be used almost exclusively for passing downs or if the shotgun just happens to be killing the opposing defense that day.

But, even *I* was all for using Shotgun against Cleveland. They had nothing else that could generate yardage. I think Sturm's conclusions are probably right, but my hope is that we can get enough out of S11 and not get Romo killed and let the defense and special teams help win the game for us.

YR
  3. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

7,338 Messages
    414 Likes Received
    That'd be much easier if our defense could generate some turnovers! They need to step it up, in that regard, because the offense is in rough shape.

I can see us going shotgun 'til Murray gets back, but like Sturm says, all it takes is one really bad play to ruin our season completely.

There's not really much else we can do though.
  4. arglebargle

arglebargle Well-Known Member

4,967 Messages
    98 Likes Received
    Very interesting article by Sturm, especially since he's been a major tout for balance, play action, etc. Here he shows that those aren't working, and overuse of the shotgun is the only thing that's hot for the Cowboys right now.
  5. jimnabby

jimnabby Well-Known Member

3,411 Messages
    295 Likes Received
    I'm reminded of the scene in "Argo":

Jason Garrett: "There are only bad options. It's about finding the best one."
    Jerry Jones: "You don't have a better bad option?"
    Jason Garrett: "This is the best bad idea we have found so far."
  6. Trendnet

Trendnet Member

717 Messages
    8 Likes Received
    And this is why those who scream about stuff like "quicker developing plays" and "shorter routes" really don't know what they are talking about.

A poor offensive line really hampers everyone from the running backs to the wide receivers, and most definately the quarterback.

Costa and Murray need to come back in the worst way.
  7. goshan

goshan Active Member Zone Supporter

1,869 Messages
    7 Likes Received
    Costa and Murray won't help much. Too many things are broken and Murray is overrated.
  8. Rack Bauer

Rack Bauer Federal Agent

22,466 Messages
    400 Likes Received
    This is incorrect. Tony has been successful on PA passes this year, despite having no running game for all but 2 games this season.

We need to do more of it, even if we do it out of the shotgun. Especially if we want to throw deep. It may no t freeze the safeties, but it just might slow down the rush just a little to help our putrid pass blocking.
  9. Luckenbach

Luckenbach Member

91 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    As long as the snap doesn't go over Romo's head I'm okay with the Shotgun. Although then if he's sacked it's even more yards! Two sides to every coin. Not to mention Houdini is going to want to try and escape so tag on a few more yards if he doesn't make it out.
  10. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,390 Messages
    309 Likes Received

This. Fans around here crack me up with their popcorn analysis.
  11. Doomsday

Doomsday Rising Star

10,145 Messages
    115 Likes Received
    One of the other things that jumps out on those charts of the passing attempts is how they RARELY if ever attack the middle of the field.

I still think the shorter passes is what opened up the down field throws in the 2nd half last week. After they started hitting Dez on those quick hooks and hit that 23 yard crossing route to Miles suddenly the defense started to move up a bit and they allowed Dez to get down field. This notion that they came out and starting chucking it deep is absurd, the whole first half he tried to go deep and was running around like a chicken with his head cut off. Clearly one sets up the other.
  12. Eddie

Eddie Well-Known Member

8,520 Messages
    228 Likes Received
    Danny White and Roger Staubach would not go into Shotgun unless it was an obvious passing situation ... almost ALWAYS and exclusively on 3rd and long.

Troy NEVER used the Shotgun.

Now we're in Shotgun the majority of our snaps ... run or pass. I don't like it. The stutter step required for the RB to get the ball gives the D two extra yards to attack.
  13. Doomsday

Doomsday Rising Star

10,145 Messages
    115 Likes Received
    This forum would be pretty boring if no one had a "popcorn analysis". Thanks for sharing all your knowledge, that was insightful.
  14. rickjameschinaclub

rickjameschinaclub Benched

1,222 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    This right here... I just love these guys that whine and complain about it when their boy gets whalloped in the press, with such retorts like:

"Well, maybe Jerry should hire you to be a play-caller."

It's obvious people whine when their 'boy' gets attacked. Otherwise, they have no problem telling us why WRs run sloppy routes or how Tony Romo ruins the play, be checking out of it... Maybe they should be WRs and QBs in the NFL...
  15. cowboys2233

cowboys2233 Well-Known Member

3,780 Messages
    318 Likes Received
    :facepalm:
  16. AdamJT13

AdamJT13 Salary Cap Analyst

14,930 Messages
    298 Likes Received
    And you are absolutely correct. Game situations, formations and personnel will dictate what the defense has to "respect" much more than previous success or failure will.
  17. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,390 Messages
    309 Likes Received
    I left myself open to being misunderstood. My bad. Most of the comments in this thread have been great.

I'm talking about the snap popcorn judgments I've heard by some....like:
    -We should never throw the ball deep on 3rd down
    -We should run the ball 60% of the time (not heard so much lately!)
    -Romo should just be a bus driver
    -We should go no-huddle all the time
    -Romo should stop killing plays at the L.O.S.
    -The offense's woes are are all (or primarily) Garrett's fault