1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Sturm: If they're smart, the Cowboys can get three starters in this upcoming draft

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Feb 8, 2013.

1. WoodysGirl

WoodysGirl Shut up and play! Staff Member

66,709 Messages
    6,474 Likes Received
    The Ticket's Bob Sturm, co-host of BaD Radio from noon to 3 p.m. daily on KTCK-AM 1310, joined readers for a live chat on Friday. Here are some highlights.

Of the OL/DL who will be in the Cowboys' range, who do you like the most?
    I am early in my process. But, the overall picture is that this is a very deep OL/DL class with quality in the top levels being quite deep. The Cowboys could get 3 starters if they do it well.

Serious question. If you haven't already addressed this, do you believe the Cowboys have the personnel for a 4-3? If not thy must address this ether in F.A. or the draft. I'm worried by the time Dallas has the players set on defense and the O-Line squared away, Romo, Witten, Carr, Ware will either be gone or on the decline. Then it's back to square one in this revolving door we call the Cowboys. Do you agree?
    Yes. I think the Cowboys have been running a modified 4-3 all year. Do they need more personnel? Yes. But that was true with either front. Ratliff and Brent have made that very necessary, but they have't spent a top pick on DL in ages.

CLICK HERE TO VIEW THE FULL CHAT
  2. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,993 Messages
    5,027 Likes Received
    Isn't that true for each team that still has their first three picks like we do?
  3. Blue Eyed Devil

Blue Eyed Devil Active Member

474 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    I think he's right. You can find starting centers, guards, and right tackles in the 3rd round of many drafts. If Doug Free is released, it's not at all out of the question that a 3rd round RT could beat out Jeremy Parnell for a spot.

I think Sturm is right, if we play our cards right we can get 3 starters... so long as we don't draft ACL injured linebackers.
  4. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

20,790 Messages
    1,180 Likes Received
    Usually the teams that get that "lucky" are bottom dwellers with the top picks in the draft and a team devoid of talent.
  5. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

21,994 Messages
    9,078 Likes Received
    No. He's talking about instant or at least early starters and saying this draft is deep where the Cowboys lack talent. Not every team fields a semi-pro quality offensive line as well as a mediocre at best DL.
  6. cowboysooner

cowboysooner Well-Known Member

1,382 Messages
    30 Likes Received
    Throw in that there are 8 walk-in starters at safety in this draft then Dallas should get 3 starters. I could see a SAM in the 3rd or 4th starting here too.

But I have no problem if the draft an ot and Parnell beats him out. Or if they draft a defensive lineman and he is part of the rotation and not an immediate starter. I would just like 3 or 4 good players added to the roster like we did in 2011.
  7. Blitzen32

Blitzen32 Member

205 Messages
    1 Likes Received
    If they were smart, they wouldn't be in this situation in the first place.
  8. DBOY3141

DBOY3141 Well-Known Member

3,239 Messages
    523 Likes Received
    The odd's are very slim that the Cowboys will have two rookies starting, very unlikely they have 3.

The Cowboys simply do not start a lot of rookies. I say there 1st round pick will start, but beyond that, not gonna happen.
  9. L-O-Jete

L-O-Jete Member

894 Messages
    11 Likes Received
    LOL I love these statements, "if they do it right"...
    "If they do it right" they can get a starter with each of their picks, They could get a Colston with their 6th, a Brady with their 5th, a Atkins with the fourth...

There are starters drafted with late picks every year.
  10. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,426 Messages
    1,684 Likes Received
    Like Dallas?

Though we aren't bottom dwellers, we have HUGE holes on the Oline, Dline, and at safety. Its not unrealistic to think we could get a starter at each of those positions in this draft.
  11. fivetwos

fivetwos Member

121 Messages
    3 Likes Received
    Not sure what he means by "IF" they are smart.

Of course they are smart. They are smarter than everyone.

They usually show this in the fourth and fifth rounds.
  12. Joe Realist

Joe Realist No Kool-Aid here!

6,842 Messages
    404 Likes Received
  13. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,066 Messages
    5,400 Likes Received
    • The Ticket's Bob Sturm joins us at 10 a.m. Friday, but ask your questions now and he will have them when he arrives. Thanks for your readership!
    by SportsDayDFW January 24 at 3:37 PM

I am for all the coaching changes, wish Red J was one of them. Penalty ridden team he took over, still same after 21/2 yrs, clock management, bland playcalling, Get Gruden now!
    by Thomas January 25 at 10:01 AM

This team did need a shake-up. I am not sure that the coaching staff changes are going to make a significant difference, but I think it could be a start. As for Gruden, it still seems a bit out there, but when you hire his DC, OC, ST, and DL coaches, we are silly if we don't connect some dots.
    by SportsDay guest January 25 at 10:02 AM

This year, will JJ draft based on need or splash? What positions would you like to see them focus on?
    by SuperDintheD January 25 at 10:13 AM

I think we all know the splash is what he really likes. But, I believe that surely OL and DL are the focus this year. It has to be. 300 pounders over 200 pounders. I would go DL, OL, OL in the first 3 rounds and not think twice.

What is your take on all the changes the Cowboys (Jerruh) is making
    by TEXAN FOR LIFE! January 25 at 10:15 AM

I think he is making his head coach seem like he is on borrowed time. I think the cycle of insanity is alive and well with the rapping pizza, art-lover we have running the local football team.
    by SportsDay guest January 25 at 10:16 AM

Which team should packers fear the most in nfc north for next 5 years
    by jtwice January 25 at 10:17 AM

5 years is a lifetime. The Bears defense is old. The Vikings seem to still need a QB. The Lions are a mess. But, the NFL is a quick changing league. Things happen quickly.
    by SportsDay guest January 25 at 10:17 AM

• Do you think Garret is making the staffing selections or is JJ still calling the shots to force him out?
    by SuperDintheD January 25 at 10:21 AM

I think Garrett is in the room, but as usual, is making almost none of the calls. He may have a vote, but it seems rather tiny.
    by SportsDay guest January 25 at 10:21 AM

IYHO, do you believe Jerry is pushing out Garret-top in favor for a proven commodity such as Gruden?
    by Pen Island January 25 at 10:27 AM

I think the writing is on the wall. I don't think it is a necessarily a given. I think it is an either-or scenario. Such as, either make the playoffs in 2013, or I have made Jon Gruden a very soft place to land here in Dallas.
    by SportsDay guest January 25 at 10:28 AM

Seriously...what is the point of being a Cowboys fan? That has got to be the most poorly run organization in sports. Lucky for Jerry, Dallas sports fans are docile creatures.
    by Greg January 25 at 10:28 AM

I have always said that your favorite team is the only thing in life you feel the same about when you are 6 and when you are 66. They are your team. Thick and thin.
    by SportsDay guest January 25 at 10:29 AM

If you had to chose between a Fern or Garrett as coach for the Cowboys, who's your choice?
    by P1 Domo January 25 at 10:29 AM

Ferns cannot throw challenge flags. That is a silly question.
    by SportsDay guest January 25 at 10:29 AM

Do you think Baylor's Nick Florence has any NFL value?
    by P1Mike January 25 at 10:30 AM

I think he may have some, but I will be honest and say I have not really considered that at this point. I am putting all of my focus on OL and DL for the next several weeks for this particular draft.
    by SportsDay guest January 25 at 10:31 AM

Can you please rank the top 5 QBs in the draft
    by Lemon Party January 25 at 10:32 AM

Well, I want to wait until the combine. But, Geno Smith, Glennon, Wilson, Barkley, and Landry Jones are all in that mix. Bray, TJ Manuel, and Nassib are maybe a tier down at this point
    by SportsDay guest January 25 at 10:33 AM

Why do you not like the move to Callahan taking over the play calling duties? He seems more than qualified and he already knows the personnel. Who would have been a better option in your opinion?
    by Hondo January 25 at 10:33 AM

I don't remember saying I didn't like it. I am fine with it. I think the Cowboys need a fresh set of eyes on play calling. Garrett had 6 seasons.
    by SportsDay guest January 25 at 10:33 AM

Based on his age is there any pro to trading Ware?
    by bob zombie January 25 at 10:35 AM

I don't think so. I think he is more valuable to you over next 3 seasons than any pick is likely to be.
    by SportsDay guest January 25 at 10:35 AM

Of the OL/DL who will be in the Cowboys' range, who do you like the most?
    by Meat Spin January 25 at 10:35 AM

I am early in my process. But, the overall picture is that this is a very deep OL/DL class with quality in the top levels being quite deep. The Cowboys could get 3 starters if they do it well.
    by SportsDay guest January 25 at 10:36 AM

Serious question. If you haven't already addressed this, do you believe the cowboys have the personnel for a 4-3? If not thy must address this ether in F.A or the draft. I'm worried by the time dallas has the players set on defense and the O-Line squared away, Romo,Witten,Car,Ware will either be gone or on the decline. Then it's back to square one in this revolving door we call the cowboys. Do you agree?
    by P1 Domo January 25 at 10:37 AM

Yes. I think the Cowboys have been running a modified 4-3 all year. Do they need more personnel? Yes. But that was true with either front. Ratliff and Brent have made that very necessary, but they have't spent a top pick on DL in ages.
    by SportsDay guest January 25 at 10:38 AM

If you were GM of the Cowboys, and taking the cap and change of D into consideration, would you resign Anthony Spencer?
    by Hondo January 25 at 10:39 AM

I would franchise him. I recognize the issues, and would still figure it out.
    by SportsDay guest January 25 at 10:39 AM

After watching the playoffs, can you pinpoint one thing that is the cause of all the Cowboy sideline confusion that these playoff teams don't seem to be experiencing?
    by jimmayjvf January 25 at 10:40 AM

Sideline confusion? Or an inefficient offense? I would argue that winning teams always appear more sure of themselves than teams getting beaten.
    by SportsDay guest January 25 at 10:41 AM

Will Gruden be the Cowboys' coach in 2014?
    by Jub's Bloody Diarrhea January 25 at 10:41 AM

50/50
    by SportsDay guest January 25 at 10:41 AM

Is Doug Free a starting RT, G, or neither next season?
    by jeftime sports January 25 at 10:42 AM

He can't play guard. He is either your tackle or off the team. And at his price, I think he has to go.
    by SportsDay guest January 25 at 10:42 AM
  14. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,993 Messages
    5,027 Likes Received
    Thank you very much for the recap!

:thumbup: :thumbup:

This deserves two!
  15. jnday

jnday Well-Known Member

6,275 Messages
    1,274 Likes Received
    The Cowboys could have had 3-4 starters last year if they had't traded to get one player. Fans were sold on the move and it still isn't worth it.
  16. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,766 Messages
    1,657 Likes Received
    YOU CAN but this team cannot find any O Line starters outside of the first or maybe second rounds. At least not for the last 15 years.
  17. nalam

nalam The realist Zone Supporter

1,577 Messages
    117 Likes Received
    they need not start , if they are capable backups it will help. If injuries like last season even affects us partially , having quality depth will be enough to win atleast a couple of games
  18. Blue Eyed Devil

Blue Eyed Devil Active Member

474 Messages
    55 Likes Received
    The curse of Robert Brewster.
  19. weaver21

weaver21 Active Member

667 Messages
    37 Likes Received
    What are you talking about? We lost a 2nd round pick and that's it. Claiborne is already a starter and there's a possibility that both Crawford and Johnson can be starters next year. Get outta here with your negative nonsense. Seriously, all you do is spew negative crap in every thread.
  20. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,426 Messages
    1,684 Likes Received
    Only because half the defense got hurt.