1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Sturm: Most Teams Treat Dallas D like 4-3

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by Picksix, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,746 Messages
    700 Likes Received
    Bob Sturm, of FSSW.com, interviewed Pat Kirwin, and talked about the 3-4 vs. the 4-3. Kirwin said that most teams view the way Dallas plays defense as more of a 4-3 than a 3-4. Also mentions how important the DE's are in a good 3-4.

"We always talk about the 3-4 outside linebackers when talking with Bill Cowher, and he wants to start with his defensive ends. Go Study the tapes. Aaron Smith sets up a lot of things. He's so good that he forces the tackle to go with him into the B-gap and then the outside rusher is on a back. The guys that build (The 3-4 schemes) will tell you to start right there (with the defensive ends). Not with the outside linebackers. They are the finishing touch - we are going to set it up so that they are going to be on backs a lot, and when that happens, you are going to win."

"Most guys treat Dallas as if they are a 4-3 defense. They don't believe DeMarcus is ever going to drop and they don't believe the other guy is that much of a threat, so they look at you as if you are what we call a "4-3 Under". If you stop the film right after the snap, the Cowboys look just like a 4-3 under defense all of the time."

"I think if you were playing a true 3-4, then Ratliff should not be a nose tackle. He should be out, just like Vince Wilfork, who is playing more as a 5-technique quite a bit now and I think Haloti Ngata got everybody creatively thinking about how to do it. But as long as you are playing basically a 4-3 defense and Ratliff is basically a 1-gap player, he's ok there."

http://sturminator.blogspot.com/2012/02/cowboys-email-bag-with-pat-kirwan.html
  2. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    Shocking that Spencer isn't considered a threat.
  3. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,845 Messages
    1,688 Likes Received
    In other words the only person they fear on the Dallas D is Ware. I think until you get a second pass rusher who is at least a perceived threat, you cannot afford to have Ware drop off into coverage. The thing to do is to have ware continually moving from one side to the other; forcing the offense to constantly adjust; which will cause mistakes on the offenses side.
  4. Chocolate Lab

Chocolate Lab Run-loving Dino

33,928 Messages
    2,890 Likes Received
    Said this on the Ranch, but I don't even know how accurate that is. Sounds like he's describing the Phillips 34, which is a one-gap and is like a 43 under. Ryan might have some elements of that, but it's not the same. I know we didn't play it exactly like that last year.

And besides, who cares. Wade's defense has been better than plenty of pure 2-gap 34s. What difference does it make as long as it gets the job done.
  5. JakeCamp12

JakeCamp12 Well-Known Member

2,142 Messages
    111 Likes Received
    :laugh2:
  6. Tricericon

Tricericon Member

874 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    [/thread]
  7. Aliencowboy

Aliencowboy Active Member

611 Messages
    98 Likes Received
    How long have fans been saying this...
    Management needs to sign Soliai !!!
  8. Oh_Canada

Oh_Canada Well-Known Member

6,117 Messages
    637 Likes Received
    ...but I thought the 4-3 was the answer to all of our prayers?
  9. Hoofbite

Hoofbite Well-Known Member

32,585 Messages
    2,242 Likes Received
    Obviously teams would then treat Dallas like a 3-4 and all would be right in the world.
  10. Picksix

Picksix A Work in Progress

4,746 Messages
    700 Likes Received
    Exactly. A lot of people have been debating whether we should go to 4-3, or stay with a 3-4. This interview just pointed out that most teams see us a 4-3 anyway, and that Ware is really the only player they fear. Yes, regardless of scheme, if you have the personell to make it work, then it works.
  11. AMERICAS_FAN

AMERICAS_FAN Active Member

7,198 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I asked couchscout about whether Dallas is better off playing a 4-3 and he basically said no for 2 reasons. First all 3-4 teams play some 4-3, and Dallas plays alot of it, and many 4-3 teams mix in some 3-4. Second, he said it all came down to personell and that Dallas was deficient enough up front that it would not matter if they paly 3-4 or 4-3 because they're too easy to block either way.
  12. cowboyschmps3

cowboyschmps3 Well-Known Member

2,794 Messages
    201 Likes Received
    I HOPE WE DO
  13. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Benched

7,355 Messages
    0 Likes Received

You'd think this would satisfy those who think we should.......

#Play a 4-3.....since we already do.
    #Get a 340 NT....since the Pats and Ravens play their 340 NT at DE. I've noticed this and GB does it to.

But 8-8 is 8-8 and when you're 8-8, everything sucks. Makes no difference that this defensive front of ours that sucks so bad, actually finished 7th out of 32 teams in both defending the run and rushing the passer. Guess a few people besides Ware must be doing something right.

Oh that's right. I forgot we finished 8-8. That means everything sucks!

God forbid the team focus it's resources on the areas of greatest weakness.....DB and OL.
  14. sonnyboy

sonnyboy Benched

7,355 Messages
    0 Likes Received

Why? So we can play him at DE like the Pats, Ravens and Packers do with their 340 NTs?
  15. Verdict

Verdict Well-Known Member

3,450 Messages
    169 Likes Received
    I have been saying for some time now that Ratliff just isn't being used correctly, and we need a HUGE nose guard to eat space in the middle.
  16. EGG

EGG Well-Known Member

4,587 Messages
    482 Likes Received
    We can only hope that when Jerry recently stated that the DL was one of the team strengths that he was being clever and giving out misinformation...
  17. Risen Star

Risen Star Likes Collector Zone Supporter

22,675 Messages
    9,902 Likes Received
    That's what it is. You simply can't have a 3-4 defense with one pass rush threat. All the talk about how great he is in run support is irrelevant. He must make teams respect him in protection or our defense is fatally flawed.
  18. wick

wick Active Member

749 Messages
    48 Likes Received
    He's exactly right. It makes me laugh when people wonder if Ware can play DE. Hello! He already does and has for years. There is no meaningful difference whatsoever between Ware and a 4-3 DE. He plays an identical role, and the only difference is what we call him.
  19. ABQCOWBOY

ABQCOWBOY Moderator Staff Member

35,189 Messages
    2,029 Likes Received
    It is if you get good DL play. This is not hard, you are just trying to make it hard. Either Defense is going to suck if you don't have the players to make it work.
  20. CCBoy

CCBoy Well-Known Member

17,247 Messages
    1,407 Likes Received
    In football, I hated the one mile timing. I didn't take it into stride, until Basic familiarization.

Exactly, on defense. Other teams would treat a 4-3 defense the same way as well. One has to be disruptive up front, and solid behind that, to work.