1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Sturm on the OG situation

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by RS12, Aug 21, 2013.

1. percyhoward

percyhoward Research Tool

8,144 Messages
    1,802 Likes Received
    You've done a ton of work on this, and I think without a doubt you've shown that teams that win the first half are more likely to win the game. Getting off to a strong start in a game offensively helps you win more games, because it means you have more points. While this gives the defense the advantage of a cushion, the data sure seems to show that playing with a lead didn't improve their performance on any given drive last year. By scoring more points, you've improved your team's chances of winning, but improving your team's chances of winning isn't the same as improving the performance of your defense. Maybe with a greater sample size, we'd see some defensive improvement. With a greater sample size of Dallas playing with leads, we'll see more wins either way.
  2. tupperware

tupperware A Plastic Container

7,269 Messages
    93 Likes Received
    [IMG]
    Duane likes this.
  3. InmanRoshi

InmanRoshi Zone Scribe

18,334 Messages
    79 Likes Received
    Sturm must absolutely hate the Seahawks this year. They're currently the epitome of the "You can find guards anywhere" philosophy.
    dogberry likes this.
  4. AmberBeer

AmberBeer Benched

2,996 Messages
    1,047 Likes Received
    Thanks Jerry! He won't be starting against the Giants, but soon enough!
  5. Corso

Corso Well-Known Member

2,217 Messages
    1,368 Likes Received
    There are so many that have put in so much analysis into this and I respect every single one of them.
    My crux of the matter is like Chess- when you get ahead early, it makes your strategy to keep what you got so much easier while your opponent has to consider more maneuvers to out-wit you.

But all-in-all- if you can make the game simple (going into the 2nd half winning usually does that)- you win more often than not since your opponent has no choice but to gamble more than they'd like.
  6. jobberone

jobberone Right turn Clyde Staff Member

36,594 Messages
    3,338 Likes Received
    Down by 14 early means about 15% chance of winning at home.
  7. iceman117

iceman117 Active Member

718 Messages
    129 Likes Received
    Leary/Waters with Berny as the swing guard is good in my book actually deep too. I get the same feeling at OT with Smith/Free and Parnell as the swing. What the hell even C with Fredricks and Costa this actually looks like a strong point on the team quality starters with good depth
  8. waving monkey

waving monkey Well-Known Member

1,630 Messages
    564 Likes Received
    Again 2deep3
    I can't see why comparing teams that swim in the same pool as we do aren't relevant? It's our competition and who we compare too.Pointing out the holes of our competition shows all teams are struggling
    with these problems because of the limited resources available. The top flight teams are better at filling those holes true. We're not top flight.