1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Twitter: Sturm talks Romo's inner self-preservation clock

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Wood

Wood Well-Known Member

4,650 Messages
    573 Likes Received
    Strum's is one of Romo biggest supporters in Media. Hardly case of him throwing a jab in there.
    Gameover likes this.
  2. HowAboutThemCowboys

HowAboutThemCowboys Well-Known Member

3,086 Messages
    655 Likes Received
    There are plays designed to counter act the pressure Romo is getting, unfortunately, this couching staff does not have the ability to see this. Screen plays and quick slants are a rarity in this offense.
  3. bark

bark Well-Known Member

2,451 Messages
    1,058 Likes Received
    You and I saw the same thing. Nick fairly rocked him early on
  4. TonyRomo17

TonyRomo17 Well-Known Member

811 Messages
    352 Likes Received
    those first 2 hits by fairley affected him i think
  5. Gameover

Gameover Well-Known Member

3,093 Messages
    449 Likes Received
    Is it the staff?
  6. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

7,110 Messages
    1,369 Likes Received
    I think that is pretty weak. I would never think that him getting rid of it too early is because he isn't tough. I would just chalk it up to him over thinking the situation or getting overly nervous. To each his own though. I don't think his toughness is ever questioned here. His brain is questioned all the time though.
  7. ufcrules1

ufcrules1 Well-Known Member

7,110 Messages
    1,369 Likes Received
    Good question.
  8. mahoneybill

mahoneybill Well-Known Member

1,176 Messages
    347 Likes Received
    Welcome to the board , bringing some stats to back up your commentary. Well done.
  9. mahoneybill

mahoneybill Well-Known Member

1,176 Messages
    347 Likes Received
    I was waiting for a pancake sack… In other words wrap him up and slam him to the ground type. I think they aren't legal but who knows what would be called nowadays….
  10. dragon_mikal

dragon_mikal Darth Jones strikes again! Zone Supporter

5,546 Messages
    1,242 Likes Received
    What frustrates me is the staff's lack of adjustments when it comes to making defenses pay when they're over aggressive. We see very little in the way of rollouts, screens or draws. It's just one of the most vanilla offensive schemes I've seen and why?

It's frustrating to watch.
    bark likes this.
  11. SDCowboy85

SDCowboy85 Well-Known Member

15,278 Messages
    1,535 Likes Received
    Is this a joke? If the offense scores the points, the offense scored the points.
    nake likes this.
  12. Alexander

Alexander What's it going to be then, eh?

24,689 Messages
    4,963 Likes Received
    It is not really vanilla. It is just rigid. Either the down the field matchups work, or they do not. There is not a lot of flexibility to Garrett's gameplans.
  13. Gameover

3,093 Messages
    449 Likes Received
    I was wrong, the Cowboys actually scored 13 points off turnovers.
  14. TheCoolFan

TheCoolFan Well-Known Member

7,272 Messages
    268 Likes Received
    Sturm is right. In fairness to Romo though, he's never been good at this aspect of QB play...it's why some people hate Garrett for trying to turn him into a pure pocket passer. I saw Stafford display it on a lot of passes - he knew he was about to get hit but hung in there and threw strikes to his receivers. Kurt Warner was the king of of it.

That style of QB play not being Romo's strong suit + the injury history he's had, it's no surprise. You see the same thing with RG3 and Vick too
  15. Gameover

3,093 Messages
    449 Likes Received
    The Cowboys actually had five TO counting the TO on downs.

They gained 4 yards on the first TO and had to punt. Go offense!

Five yards for TD to Bryant on the second.

They gained 17 yards and had to punt on the third. Go offense!

They gained zero yards and Bailey kicked a 53 yard FG on the fourth one. Go offense!

Off the TO on downs, they gained 5 yards and Bailey kicked a 44 yard FG.

The offense gained 31 combined yards off five turnovers.

Go offense!
    Denim Chicken and TheCoolFan like this.
  16. BigStar

BigStar Stop chasing Zone Supporter

3,841 Messages
    1,534 Likes Received
    I remember Aikman taking sacks this way towards the end of his career (shellshocked)..basically give up and duck under the defender.
  17. rcaldw

rcaldw Well-Known Member

6,517 Messages
    846 Likes Received
    Instead of worrying about whether it is insulting, I would encourage you (if you record the games) to go back and watch the game early on with an objective attitude. See if you recognize him doing what Sturm says. I think there are other explanations for it than toughness. I think his ribs might still be hurting. I also think it is a fair question to consider whether or not he has in mind finishing the year. It is like a basketball game that comes down to the last 3-5 minutes night after night in the NBA. What happens early DOES count, but with the NFC East, you are almost certainly going to be playing for a playoff spot the last 4 weeks of the season. If we don't have Romo we are probably cooked.
  18. Crown Royal

Crown Royal Insulin Beware

10,687 Messages
    1,011 Likes Received
    I would say this is very true. It has long been known that the game plan against romo is to pressure him up the middle. It is the fault of this staff not to know that and find ways to coach through it.
  19. DFWJC

DFWJC Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

23,167 Messages
    2,235 Likes Received
    They scored 30 points on offense.
    The defense scored no points in this one.
    If a turnover shortns the field and the offense scores, that is still an offensive touchdown. The ocasional shortend field (something all winning teams normally get) is something they have gotten more often this year compared to the last 4-5 years. It's pretty sweet.
  20. T-RO

T-RO Well-Known Member

4,403 Messages
    319 Likes Received
    This. And how many hits can you take from Farley and not suffer a season-ending kill shot?