1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Sturm: this is a stark reminder of how far they must go to fortify the roster

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Matts4313, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Matts4313

Matts4313 Active Member

283 Messages
    136 Likes Received
    http://sturminator.blogspot.com/

Interesting read. The fact that we drafted/developed only 4 players, out of 34 picks, from 2006-2009 is seriously killing us right now.

Think about this, in 2008 if our entire starting DL went out, all three back ups would have still been above average:

Spears - Ratliff - Canty
    Bowen - Johnson - Hatcher

Thats the kind of depth that teams have to have in todays NFL. And until we an stack another ~2-3 more years of quality drafting, I fear injuries destroying our season will be a reoccurring theme.
    jobberone and windward like this.
  2. perrykemp

perrykemp Well-Known Member

5,985 Messages
    1,761 Likes Received
    Sturm, eloquent as usual with this gem:

"Games like this, that are as one-sided as Alabama against a 1-AA school in early September, require the accommodation of both teams - with precise and powerful execution from the victor aided by ineptitude and, at times, the seeming give-up of the defeated."
  3. unsportsmanlikeconduct

unsportsmanlikeconduct Active Member

411 Messages
    85 Likes Received
    This only reaffirms my feelings about Romo. Please sprain an ankle so we can see Orton. Don't laugh, remember how Kitna seemed to spark this team?
  4. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

3,088 Messages
    1,284 Likes Received
    I like the expanded roster notion.
    garrett316 and jobberone like this.
  5. CaptainCreed

CaptainCreed Active Member

380 Messages
    154 Likes Received
    A strong DL with depth will do miracles. Jets just beat this same Saints team. Recent first round picks? Muhammad Wilkerson, Quinten Coples, and Sheldon Richardson.
    Not just the DL either, we just let Heath, Webb, and Pellerin play significant minutes against Drew Brees and Jerry expected a more competitive game? 3 undrafted rookies.
  6. 17yearsandcounting

17yearsandcounting Benched

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    Thats not what happened at all.

Jerry lit into them, told them in no uncertain terms that their poor effort got a good man fired and no one was safe.
    jobberone, tantrix1969 and Wheeltax like this.
  7. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

13,063 Messages
    5,396 Likes Received
    The draft really only matters for 2010 to 2013. All 2009 players would be past their rookie contracts. You could get other teams free agents for the same price as re-signing the Cowboy's free agents.

Look at the Guard that Buffalo drafted in the 2009 2nd round. He is now in Tennessee. Dallas could have signed him for the same price that it would have cost them to sign him if he had been their own pick.
  8. Matts4313

Matts4313 Active Member

283 Messages
    136 Likes Received

sure, but your talking about a probowl guard. what about roster depth? Think Hatcher signing a cheap extension early, or scandrick or Ratliffs first extension. Plus, all those missed picks meant we had to address those areas in different ways, such as FA or drafting another person to replace the failed pick.

in short, its silly to think that had we been able to hit at even a 25% rate, this team would be better the last few seasons, including this one.
  9. links18

links18 Well-Known Member

9,579 Messages
    1,320 Likes Received
    "Yesterday was a complete mess made worst by what appeared to be a complete give-up by the defense in the 4th Quarter that reminded many of Wade Phillips last stand on a Sunday Night in Green Bay back in 2010."

Damning stuff.....
  10. 17yearsandcounting

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    Lets not forget the offense waving the white flag at the end too.
    Boyzmamacita likes this.
  11. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

6,315 Messages
    2,152 Likes Received
    I am a huge Sturm proponent, however several games ago is essentially called out fans who found fault in game plans, specific players, and the results as lazy.

I think Uncle Bob may be the bets going with his X's and O's. But let's not forget is watches the games just like us, and hubris, no matter who he is allowed to speak to has no place in this.
  12. TwoDeep3

TwoDeep3 Well-Known Member

6,315 Messages
    2,152 Likes Received
    No kidding. I thought that two runs and a weak pass and punt to be the white flag.

I was happy to see Sean Payton ignore that and score again.

There is no white flag in football.
    khiladi and tantrix1969 like this.
  13. VThokie7

VThokie7 Well-Known Member

1,964 Messages
    331 Likes Received
    There apparently is when you're a conservative coach in over his head.
    khiladi likes this.
  14. Rockytop6

Rockytop6 Well-Known Member

2,072 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    I agreed with this thinking until it occurred to me that it could also just mean we would have more average players on the roster. The old adage about doing 'the same things over and over and expect to have different results' occurs here.
    I seriously doubt the Cowboys will ever win a SB as long as Jerry is in control. Before an apologist mention the first SBs, please remember Jerry was not in complete control while Jimmy was here because he was still 'learning' and depended upon Jimmy more than since then. Now that he has 'graduated as a NFL football guru' and fields a team that any one of 500 coaches could win a SB with, he is not as dependent upon a top Head Coach.
  15. Seven

Seven Messenger to the football Gods

11,370 Messages
    616 Likes Received
    The barn burnt to the ground. Shall we let the horses out now? Jerry had done nothing noble.
  16. unsportsmanlikeconduct

unsportsmanlikeconduct Active Member

411 Messages
    85 Likes Received
    Uh, no. I remember what happened and it was along the lines of the team liked Kitna. Do they (the team, not one or two players) like Romo, who knows?
  17. 17yearsandcounting

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    You clearly dont remember what happened. Kitna turned the ball over 12 times by himself, the defense FINALLY started to play and forced 28 turnovers in that span. Better luck next time.
    khiladi likes this.
  18. big dog cowboy

big dog cowboy THE BIG DOG Staff Member

50,976 Messages
    5,008 Likes Received
    Impossible. All I've read for the longest time is Garrett inherited this great team that was ready to win the super bowl.
    Randy White and jobberone like this.
  19. Future

Future Intramural Legend

16,426 Messages
    1,684 Likes Received
    It's a lot easier to find 3-4 depth than it is 4-3, at DL positions. Not really worth making that comparison.
  20. 17yearsandcounting

2,391 Messages
    1,677 Likes Received
    Yeah, and he had no input into selections like Felix Jones right? Oh wait....
    khiladi likes this.