1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Sturm: this is a stark reminder of how far they must go to fortify the roster

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by Matts4313, Nov 11, 2013.

1. khiladi

khiladi Well-Known Member

12,072 Messages
    2,075 Likes Received
    16 plus TOs on Kitna alone sparked this team or 24-27 TOs by the defense "sparked this team" though we only beat scrubs.
  2. khiladi

khiladi Well-Known Member

12,072 Messages
    2,075 Likes Received
    I didn't read Sturm this time, but if he's complaining that one can't criticize play-calling, how does that explain his multiple posts where he does exactly that?
  3. jobberone

jobberone Genetically engineered moderating Orangutan Staff Member

38,249 Messages
    4,191 Likes Received
    Agreed. Extraordinary is right. In one month I will have watched Cowboys' football for 50 years and I've never ever seen a unit decimated like this. We do have PS players starting. It's as if we are playing strike scrubs on D and the rest of the league has their starters. And there is no way that doesn't affect the offense. You can't blame all the woes Sun night of the D but some of it certainly were.

You're right about Claiborne. This D needs CBs who cover and tackle a little more than the average D; not a great deal just a little more than some non-Tampa 2. But when he was drafted they played another D and you can excuse some of that. However, even if you excuse a little of Claibornes' inabilities to tackle you have to ding them heavily for the fact he's not extraordinary in coverage. So we got an ok coverage corner for a 1 and a 2 who can't tackle well without injury. To be fair he may not get injured again so it may be a tad premature to label him but he wasn't worth a 1 and 2.

The problem with drafting well and getting a deep roster is mostly due to the ineptitude of the FO up until Garrett became HC. So I'll give Garrett some props for that although that is probably mostly the scouting and FO with some input by Garrett. The other part of that problem is Jerry's incredibly poor judgment involving poor trades like Galloway and Williams that echo for a long time along with poor cap management. That has hurt us in signing FAs and keeping some others from seeking FA. It's like owing 100,000 in credit cards and having to pay all that interest debt on the interest debt plus principal.
  4. jobberone

38,249 Messages
    4,191 Likes Received
    He's not an ordinary fan. He's better equipped although he'll say the same about himself just to a much lesser extent.
  5. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,959 Messages
    5,340 Likes Received
    I think you're missing my point.

Once a players initial rookie contract is over, then it does not really matter who drafted that player. The exception is for a franchise type player like a QB that would never hit Free Agency.

Many people believe that players will re-sign for a discount with the original team; however, those savings are generally minimal if they exist at all. Sean Lee signed for 6M per year compared to Patrick Willis at 7.5M per year; however, Lee is a significant injury risk to the Cowboys. Willis' had started all 16 games for all 3 years that he had been in the league at the time of his contract. Lee only started 21 of a possible 48 games in his first 3 years compared to 48 of 48 for Willis.

Hatcher is going to sign the best contract that he can get. Have you not noticed his sack celebration where he indicates "show me the money"?

Scandrick signed a 28.2M deal with 10M guaranteed a year before he was to become a Free Agent. He had never been a starter. It's highly doubtful that another team would give a non-starter a better contract on the open market.

If Mike Jenkins had been a great CB, then he would have received the same contract that the Cowboys instead gave to Brandon Carr.

If Felix Jones had been great, then he would have received a contract similar to Chris Johnson (6 years, 55M, 30M guaranteed). Basically, there would have been no advantage in 2013 even if Felix had become a great player.

Under the new CBA, draft picks are basically used for salary cap management. Teams must get contributions from draft picks under their rookie contracts in order for the team to be competitive and stay within the salary cap. It's basically impossible to be under the cap and have all starters be on their 2nd contract.
  6. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,199 Messages
    1,239 Likes Received
    Weak tackling CB's are an issue in the NFL because the passing game is designed with all sorts of short passes. Flares, drag routes, slants, etc. So while he doesn't fit into this scheme, it would be an issue in any scheme. That's why Ray Horton said he would never draft Mike Jenkins. He can't tackle and the Steelers at the time played a ton of man-to-man press coverage.

I like what Pete Carroll has done personnel wise in a very similar defensive scheme to Kiffin's. His front 7 is filled with fast, explosive players and his defensive backs are all big (except for Earl Thomas) and all of them tackle very well. It creates a defense with a lot of speed because your front seven is fast and it creates a team of good tacklers when there are no holes tackling wise in the secondary.

And outside of Thomas, they've been able to go cheap on these DB's because big, tall corners that don't put up 4.4 forty times are undervalued in the draft.

YR
    khiladi likes this.
  7. notherbob

notherbob Active Member

2,858 Messages
    10 Likes Received

Things are not going to change until JJ stops paying so many millions to so few players that he doesn't have enough left in the cap to pay quality support players so he fills in with cheap scrubs and mediocrity is the inevitable result.

The overpaid stars sell tickets and Jerry prospers while the team flounders. I don't expect it to change any time soon.

The difference between Jerry and Clint Murchinson is that Clint was old money who wanted to field championship teams more than he wanted to make profits while Jerry is neuvou riche who likes to flaunt his wealth and doesn't care about any opinion but his own.

I respect his accomplishments but I cannot respect his greedy, vulgar and obnoxious behaviors and the way he sacrifices the potential for team accomplishment for personal gain as well as to prove that he is going to do it his way whether anyone likes it or not.

As long as Jerry is owner, GM and de facto head coach, to expect real improvement is futile.

(Starts looking for a helmet.)
  8. Yakuza Rich

Yakuza Rich Well-Known Member

12,199 Messages
    1,239 Likes Received
    To expect Jerry to stop being the GM is even more futile. Not while he continues to sell out the largest stadium in the NFL, draw the highest TV ratings, rank #1 in polls of favorite NFL teams and other KPI's. When the team made a major change by hiring Parcells, that was the year they went from #1 to #4 in favorite NFL teams according to the Harris Interactive Poll. And he still didn't give up GM duties.

YR
    khiladi likes this.
  9. jobberone

38,249 Messages
    4,191 Likes Received
    I agree everyone needs to tackle in the NFL for sure but it's more required by the CBs in this scheme. It's just a little magnified in that the corners must come up and fill the 8 hole. And I agree about big corners being undervalued. I'd have 10-11 on the team and play them everywhere with a high priced safety or two thrown in there. Higher drafted safeties have a much greater success rate than corners do presently.
    Yakuza Rich likes this.
  10. Carharris2

Carharris2 Well-Known Member

1,249 Messages
    500 Likes Received
    Perfect post.
  11. Matts4313

Matts4313 Active Member

283 Messages
    136 Likes Received

I understood your point completely. But I don't agree with you. I think there is ample evidence that players, especially role players/depth, can be extended cheaply.

I also think you're ignoring the general idea, draft better=better team
  12. garrett316

garrett316 5 against 1 Zone Supporter

2,573 Messages
    304 Likes Received

I'm not sure I like Jerry having to decide on more than 53 guys. He's proved inept at that number. Having his hand in 5-10 more players is probably a worse scenario for the franchise.
  13. AmberBeer

AmberBeer Well-Known Member

3,009 Messages
    1,053 Likes Received
    Jones must go. Oh wait, there's another one in the wings.
  14. unsportsmanlikeconduct

unsportsmanlikeconduct Active Member

405 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    My point was that I want to see Orton run this offense and see if the results are the same. Somethings wrong with Romo, injury or otherwise.
  15. unsportsmanlikeconduct

405 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    Please quote me where I stated the offense needs to score 30 plus.
  16. xwalker

xwalker Well-Known Member

12,959 Messages
    5,340 Likes Received
    No, the draft is very important, however, it's what the draft picks contribute during their rookie contracts that matters. After 4 years all quality starters will get big contracts.

There are plenty of role players available in Free Agency every year. The vereran minimum compared to rookie salaries is not a significant expense.

It's not about role players, it's all about starters. Travis Frederick saves millions compared to signing a quality free agent starter. A role player on their rookie contract only saves a few hundred thousand as compared to a role player free agent.

I've given you 2 examples, 1 of a pick the Cowboys didn't make but should have (Andy Levitre, OG, 2nd round Buffalo 2009) and 1 they made that could have been better (Mike Jenkins who was replaced by Brandon Carr for the equivalent contract that Jenkins would have received if he had been a great pick).

If you disagree, then provide examples.

Summary: Almost all of a draft picks value to the team occurs during his 1st contract.
  17. dropdeadfred5

dropdeadfred5 Active Member

145 Messages
    50 Likes Received

wow. you really do not know what you posted did you? Your basic contention is that its the O's fault not the D when clearly its mostly a D failure. To make up for that failure you expect the O to score lots of points. Kind of dumb.
  18. unsportsmanlikeconduct

405 Messages
    83 Likes Received
    Did you really think the D was gonna ball out? Everyone KNEW going into this game Dallas' defense was going to give up a ton of points, that was a given. So tell me, during the game when Dallas went 3 and out or failed to convert on 3rd down and put this horrible defense back on the field, did you not expect the Saints to score a TD? Did ANYONE feel the defense could make a stop? NO! The only way Dallas could keep the game close was to match score for score. Do I really need to point out this loss was on the defense? The offense failed when it needed to succeed TO KEEP THE DEFENSE OFF THE FIELD and in the NFL it starts with the QB, like it or not. Dumb on your part. The End.
  19. kramskoi

kramskoi Well-Known Member

1,729 Messages
    297 Likes Received
    I think his opinion that Garrett should take back play-calling duties from Callahan would not make much difference. It is still his offense and that might be the biggest problem hounding the Cowboys right now. How far it has fallen since 2007.
  20. JakeCamp12

JakeCamp12 Well-Known Member

2,113 Messages
    84 Likes Received
    Well said. That seems to be his management style. And when he makes a mistake, he compounds the mistake by going overboard the next year. This organization does a poor job of developing players and keeps aging players a year or two long. As an example, why did we keep Arkin for so long when he was never active on Sunday? Why do we rotate the same practice squad players over and over again and they never get called up to the active roster?