1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

News: Sturm's Take on Melton Signing

Discussion in 'News Zone' started by WoodysGirl, Mar 19, 2014.

1. Nav22

Nav22 Well-Known Member

5,332 Messages
    926 Likes Received
    Sorry you spent last season in a cave. We went 5-1 against the NFC East and Orton started the 1 loss.
  2. dallasdave

dallasdave Well-Known Member

2,663 Messages
    331 Likes Received
    Hey, Jerry did a good thing.
  3. sbark

sbark Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,695 Messages
    232 Likes Received
    Dummerville DE Denver.......Melton.....Donald........lots of position flexibility with the latter 2---inside/outside?
  4. Howboutdemcowboys31

Howboutdemcowboys31 Well-Known Member

1,081 Messages
    202 Likes Received
    They might
  5. GimmeTheBall!

GimmeTheBall! Junior College Transfer

12,969 Messages
    722 Likes Received
    I second that emotion.

Strange how we get so worked up about some of these discards. Almost as if we suddenly become Jerra when he gets enameled about supposed "big name' saviors. but, to Jerra's credit, so far it is a one-year deal.
  6. HoustonFrog

HoustonFrog Well-Known Member

1,945 Messages
    673 Likes Received
    My main concern isn't ACL or off the field but the on that pointed out that he did well with good players around him. This is the second time I've read or heard this. So overall he is the beast of the group we have. Will no one "protecting" him cause issues? Overall the deal was a good one though.
  7. WV Cowboy

WV Cowboy Waitin' on the 6th

10,930 Messages
    1,244 Likes Received
    And not allow the QB to step up in the pocket when the DE's come upfield.
  8. Doomsday101

Doomsday101 Well-Known Member

77,038 Messages
    2,822 Likes Received
    Yes sir that is the ticket.
  9. Matts4313

Matts4313 Active Member

276 Messages
    133 Likes Received
    In 2011-2012 Melton was the second most productive DT in the NFL behind Geno Atkins.

This is a big deal for us, if he can return to form.
  10. thunderpimp91

thunderpimp91 Active Member

238 Messages
    135 Likes Received
    Yes and no. As it stands right now Melton is the only player on the roster that will demand a double team consistently. If things stay that way this front 7 will be just as bad as a year ago. Bring in either a monster weak side tackle or a pass rushing DE and things change considerably. Two players on the D line who demand attention goes a long way. Earlier in the season last year this defense wasn't too bad. Respectable showings against the Giants, Chiefs, Rams. Once we saw Ware and Hatcher fighting injuries this team didn't have a chance. Teams then could do as they pleased. Didn't have to keep tight ends or backs in to block because their was no pass rush. And o lines got on our backers because no one up front could force a double team on running plays. Trust me this team still needs depth all over, but one more piece to this line and you have a whole different defense. And you'll be amazed at how much talent is in the secondary/ LBs once you have a dependable front four.
  11. daveferr33

daveferr33 Well-Known Member

380 Messages
    525 Likes Received
    I really love the low risk contract.

Because of that, I see nothing but positives from this signing.
    Fletch likes this.
  12. Fletch

Fletch To The Moon

9,588 Messages
    795 Likes Received
    And this is why I don't want to reach for Donald out of Pitt. He has a small frame. I don't want two small DT's anchoring our D-line. Now if Donald falls to 16, you almost have to take him because he is somewhat of a freak. But I won't move up to take him.
    Zimmy Lives and daveferr33 like this.
  13. Jstopper

Jstopper Well-Known Member

236 Messages
    270 Likes Received
    I absolutely love the Melton signing. I wonder would they consider having him play the 1-tech if they are able to draft Donald (put him at 3-tech)
  14. thunderpimp91

thunderpimp91 Active Member

238 Messages
    135 Likes Received
    Doubt it. You really diminish the value of getting Melton by sliding him down to the 1 tech, plus it doesn't play to his skill set. Still though I wouldn't be surprised if Dallas took Donald at 16 if he were there. With Donald and Melton on the same roster you have a lot of flexibility. Both are versatile enough to where you could play one at DE at times and both could be lined up inside on passing downs to create one hell of an inside rush. You also could run some 5-2 looks with duel 2 or 3 techniques and a big NT in the middle.
  15. Idgit

Idgit Ice up, son. Ice up! Staff Member

30,485 Messages
    6,198 Likes Received
    We ranked high in pts/off series. That's about all you can ask for.

Nobody does all that well on third down conversion rate. The key is to move the chains on first or second where you can.
  16. CyberB0b

CyberB0b Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

3,825 Messages
    1,767 Likes Received
    We were 25th in 3rd down conversion percentage, lumped in with teams like Cleveland, Tampa, Oakland and Jacksonville. It was abysmal, as I said, and contributed to a lot of the woes our defense had. If we can get it to climb from 35% to even 38-39%, we would see an instant improvement on defense. It is a big reason why we were 25th in time of possession. We kept our defense on the field for too long.

Our offense did a lot of things right, so don't get me wrong.
  17. ShiningStar

ShiningStar Well-Known Member

6,290 Messages
    556 Likes Received
    and we were 3 time losers in the last game, and you proved my point, the NFC east is not going to give another chance like that so i dont get the whole train of thought of comparing last years defense to this years defense and think it automatically gives us a few more wins. I highly doubt the GIants remain that bad and I feel Philly takes it up another notch and right now the Skins are a "wild card". I feel teh NCF east will not lay an egg this coming season.