1. Welcome to CowboysZone!  Join us!  Come on!  You know you want to!

Sturm's take on T. Smith today....(with video)

Discussion in 'Draft Zone' started by newlander, Apr 27, 2011.

1. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received
  2. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,065 Messages
    956 Likes Received
    I've come around on Smith. Still not my favourite tackle, but as long as we're getting someone (besides Solder) for the line, I'm happy. I can accept the long term risks because he is already a very good tackle
  3. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,065 Messages
    956 Likes Received
    Although, watching those clips really does remind me why I didn't like him in the first place. I love his pass blocking, and his strength once he does lock on, but when he's pulling and moving to the second level he seems to always miss his guy or just barely get him. I'm no oline expert, for sure, but he does seem a little lost in space to me
  4. newlander

newlander Well-Known Member

8,205 Messages
    123 Likes Received
    ALL the experts love this guy but....yeah, he gets real lost at the second level at times and also overpowered a few times at the point of attack. NERVOUS now for first time.
  5. CaptainAmerica

CaptainAmerica Active Member

5,017 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    It's ridiculous for us to pick a RT with the #9 pick in the entire draft!

We just picked a RT last year who we seem to like. A guy who was a blue chip recruit in High School and had a ton of college starts at Notre Dame. He's now been in our program for one full year and he's learning, maturing and filling out and showing promise. There is nothing so far that I have read to indicate he won't be able to play RT in the NFL.

The league is full of OL picked in the mid to low rounds and even undrafted FAs. Some of the very best OL we have ever had in our franchise history have been low round, UFA type players.

If we can't find them in this day and age we need to find a new way to scout OL.
  6. jblaze2004

jblaze2004 Well-Known Member

8,934 Messages
    490 Likes Received
    we can't have you notice the last couple of years we draft lineman that we end up cutting.
  7. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,460 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    No offense but Sam Young will never be a viable starting tackle in the NFL. The dude is a backup at best.
  8. hipfake08

hipfake08 Well-Known Member

4,468 Messages
    106 Likes Received
    I watched the first youtube.
    You would think he would have buried his opponent every play - not so.
  9. CaptainAmerica

5,017 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    Maybe so but that's exactly what some "experts" said about Free. But if Garrett decides he can't play I understand picking OL. But that doesn't change the fact that there are tons of OL in the league who were low round, UFA types. Some of the very best in league history and in our franchise history were this type.

Why we would waste a top 10 pick on a RT when it's been proven year after year that you can get them anywhere in the draft is beyond me.
  10. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,344 Messages
    242 Likes Received
    I am so sold on Smith it's stupid. This kid is going to be one of best tackles in the league in a couple of years. I have no doubts he can handle the RT position this season too.

He is going to end up being 320+lbs and powerful as hell. He has the feet and arms to keep anyone from getting around him and his sheer size, strength, leverage and the fact that he plays with his knees bent means he is going to be hard as hell to bullrush when he fill out. He also plays every play with a lot of effort.

Give me Tyron Smith at #9 all day.
  11. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Unfriendly and Aloof!

31,344 Messages
    242 Likes Received
    What do you mean? Why would he bury the opponent on every play?
  12. TheCount

TheCount Pixel Pusher

21,294 Messages
    1,245 Likes Received
    This is what I've been saying about Smith the entire time, and some called me a hater. Smiths tape has never lived up to the hype, I mean some even started saying he might be a Top 5 pick just a few days ago.

The reality is that his technique is terrible and his athleticism is a bit oversold. Costanzo put up noticeably better agility numbers than Smith did, but neither guy is particularly powerful.

If a RT is what we are after, there is no better prospect for that position than Gabe Carimi.

I could understand taking the risk on Smith if we were looking for a LT, but we've got one of those already.
  13. TheSport78

TheSport78 The Excellence of Execution

8,460 Messages
    429 Likes Received
    I see what you're saying, but if this right tackle has serious POTENTIAL to eventually be your franchise LEFT tackle, then I'm all for it. Free has already shown he could play left and right tackle. When all three of your starting QB's, not to mention your franchise QB, are banged up or injured, and Chris Greisen is on your active roster, you need some youth and athleticism on the OL.
  14. burmafrd

burmafrd Well-Known Member

41,871 Messages
    1,708 Likes Received
    The haters would find something to scream about if he pancaked someone on every play. Just ignore them. Those claiming that he looked terrible are a joke; people who have PLAYED OT in the NFL like Ross Tucker say other wise.
  15. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,065 Messages
    956 Likes Received
    That's what concerns me the most. I know he looks physically imposing and tested well at his pro day. But on tape I see a guy who looks really awkward occasionally and doesn't make a block he is in perfect position to make. He looks great when he gets to the second level because he's there in a hurry, but when he gets there he misses his guy or simply lays a glove on him.
  16. CaptainAmerica

5,017 Messages
    6 Likes Received
    I understand your thoughts and don't necessarily disagree. I just would hate to pass on an impact top 10 pick at another position of need when it's been proven every single year of the draft that OL picked in the mid to low rounds and even UFAs have just as much potential to be Pro Bowl players as high first round picks.

Last year is an example. The Skins might regret the pick of Trent Williams in the next couple of years when they see what they passed over to end up with a guy that's just a decent to good, serviceable offensive tackle.
  17. Portland Fanatic

Portland Fanatic Active Member

4,459 Messages
    0 Likes Received
    I simply do not see how this guy can be the top OT in the draft...it’s very confusing to me to hear all the top scouts and evaluators claim him to be the best of the class. I simply do not see it; I guess that's why I'm not an NFL scout.

I see all the athletic ability, and potential...however its only potential at this point. I see someone very inconsistent and seems to get beat a lot...he makes me way to nervous.

I'm cemented in my opinion to trade down and get Carimi!

Carimi is hard nosed and has shown to be the most consistent OT in the draft...some may argue Castonzo is, i'd be fine with him...but for me give me Carimi all day every day and don't look back!
  18. diehard2294

diehard2294 America's Team

4,863 Messages
    592 Likes Received
    I like Carimis nasty attitude...but to me he struggles a bit with outside speed rushers

I think all 3 have some flaws but as we know only time will tell
  19. Gaede

Gaede Well-Known Member

8,065 Messages
    956 Likes Received
    This is my dream scenario; no matter how many times I try to change my opinion on Smith, I still want Carimi and still think he'll be the better pro
  20. Flinger

Flinger Active Member

796 Messages
    82 Likes Received
    2010 Offense:
    Pts - 24.6
    Ranking - 7th

Yards - 364
    Ranking 7th

2010 Defense:
    Pts - 27.2
    Ranking - 31st