Sullivan: From Taco to Irving, Several Encouraging Signs From Defense

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by waving monkey, Aug 13, 2017 at 3:56 AM.

1. waving monkey

waving monkey Well-Known Member

7,476 Messages
    5,040 Likes Received
    LOS ANGELES - Look, let’s not pretend we’re at the high-roller tables at the Bellagio when the first and last weeks of preseason football is more like dollar bingo with Aunt Helen at the local senior center.

It’s ridiculous to be worried about the 2017 Dallas Cowboys based on a single play against the Rams before a crowd of … well, a crowd that mostly didn’t join us at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum Saturday night.

However, there’s nothing wrong with some optimism. I’m an optimistic person, so that’s what we’re going to do.

The defense was impressive. Yes, it was the Rams, not exactly an offensive force. Still, after 10 days of all doom and gloom about first-round pick Taco Charlton, the kid was easily the best player on the field, for either team, in the first quarter.

link/http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2017/08/13/sullivan-taco-irving-several-encouraging-signs-defense

jobberone, Dash28, Carharris2 and 5 others like this.
  2. morasp

morasp Well-Known Member

3,448 Messages
    979 Likes Received
    I watched the highlight of one of Watt's sacks and he was unblocked, it must have been a blocking assignment mix up.

xwalker and Noryb like this.
  3. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

25,871 Messages
    12,957 Likes Received
    Yeah. Reminded me of Bobby Carpenter highlights.

xwalker, rocyaice, Teague31 and 3 others like this.
  4. StarGazer1

StarGazer1 Active Member

70 Messages
    172 Likes Received
    No mention in the article of Lenny Jones and I thought he played great.

5. VACowboy

VACowboy Well-Known Member

5,656 Messages
    1,817 Likes Received
    He was unblocked on two of his sacks, and the first one he stepped up right into the quarterbacks arms . Still, he looked quick to me.

I agree completely about Lenny Jones. He was the guy who was all over the place.

StarGazer1 and manster4ever like this.
  6. FuzzyLumpkins

FuzzyLumpkins The Boognish

25,871 Messages
    12,957 Likes Received
    Well he was blocked on the first one but he did not beat his blocker. The QB did run right towards him and stole the OT's leverage trying to run past him. The other was a Bobby C special.

Carharris2 likes this.
  7. CowboyRoy

CowboyRoy Well-Known Member

7,040 Messages
    2,913 Likes Received
    Ok, now for a realistic analysis.

-Defense did look good. You can actually see what Jones was talking about when he said that they have the type of players in the secondary that Marinelli wants. These guys were laying the wood. You can see signs that these guys are much better at laying in the zone and making more plays. They caused a fumble on nearly every possession. IT wasnt that one guy stood out, it was that as a whole it was obvious.

-Really like that Lber Jones. The big guy. He was all over the place making plays.

-The QB Rush has something to him. Night and day compared to Moore. We are in big trouble if we have to rely on Moore. I would keep Rush as a 3rd QB or just ditch Moore all together. Not sure what they see in Moore.

-Too bad Irvin is suspended. He can be a very good LDE for us.

-The Taco sack was great, but that is the only thing he did. Absolutely no chance what so ever that he was the best player on the field in the first quarter. Outside of that ONE play, he was a ghost.

-Lets put the Tapper hype to bed. The guy has done nothing against backups in two games. He gets stone walled an just about every play.

-If they are going to rely on McChicken to run the ball most of the time in Zekes absence there will be a big drop off. NO burst what so ever. And bad vision. Morris needs to be the lead guy.

-Love Rico. This guy has the talent, he could really tear up the NFL. Didnt watch the blocking, but if he can get up to speed on that part of the game and the mental part I see no reason why they shouldnt play this kid THIS year. He can be a stud no doubt.

Sepia, manster4ever and Teague31 like this.
  8. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Well-Known Member

6,633 Messages
    6,165 Likes Received
    Hmm. Credited with 3 tackles. Something doesn't add up.

9. CowboyRoy

7,040 Messages
    2,913 Likes Received
    Why does anyone try to discount what Watt did? Does it make you feel better? He looked good. played mad, lots of energy and quickness. As opposed to getting a clean opportunity on a sack and falling down like Taco did, Watt made the plays.

stilltheguru88 likes this.
  10. CowboyRoy

7,040 Messages
    2,913 Likes Received
    3 tackes? Wow pro bowl for sure. Against 2nd and 3rd stringers too. Low standards much?

11. VACowboy

VACowboy Well-Known Member

5,656 Messages
    1,817 Likes Received
    On one play he was unblocked and on the other the quarterback sacked himself.I'm not saying the kid didn't do anything. Actually, I thought he looked pretty good. But he didn't beat anybody for his two sacks. I think the reason the Cowboys took Charlton instead of Watt is that Taco is a full-sized defensive end.

FuzzyLumpkins and stilltheguru88 like this.
  12. CowboyRoy

7,040 Messages
    2,913 Likes Received
    On the first sack, Watt bull rushed his guy right into the QB, threw him aside, and made the sack. The 2nd sack he was unblocked, but it showed his recognition, quickness, and ability to make the play instead of falling down like Taco did on the same type of play. This is just the type of homer nonsense that makes having rational discussions on here a challenge.

13. Teague31

Teague31 Defender of the Star

9,228 Messages
    5,474 Likes Received
    Agree on Tapper. Don't get it. All he is is a guy that runs fast. Has zero feel for the game

14. CowboyRoy

7,040 Messages
    2,913 Likes Received
    There might be something there, but what should we expect with the guy not playing ball in over a year and being a rookie? Its why I laugh every time someone says he is going to be some kind of pass rushing demon for us this year. Talk all you want about why he didnt have a lot of sacks in college, the fact is he didnt. Maybe they didnt use him correctly, but it also means he didnt get a lot of practice at it. Probably has poor technique and moves.

EPL0c0 likes this.
  15. Carharris2

Carharris2 Well-Known Member

5,336 Messages
    4,498 Likes Received
    If there's one fair crtitisism of Garrett and this staff it's that they hold onto middleing or even lower level talent too long based on what seems like no game time production.

Moore could be a prime example of this. He just isn't good enough. Keep him on the staff if he's that great at helping Dak, but he can not play.

16. manster4ever

manster4ever Well-Known Member

3,592 Messages
    1,933 Likes Received
    THIS!!!!!!!!!

Carharris2 likes this.
  17. PJTHEDOORS

PJTHEDOORS Well-Known Member

9,439 Messages
    7,644 Likes Received
    Why does anyone try to discount what Taco did? Does it make you feel better? He looked good. played mad, lots of energy and quickness.

18. JerryJonesMustGo

JerryJonesMustGo Well-Known Member

1,221 Messages
    1,044 Likes Received
    Rams have 0-16 potential. I wouldn't be overly optimistic about the play against a terrible offensive team with a porous o-line.

cowboyblue22 likes this.
  19. PJTHEDOORS

PJTHEDOORS Well-Known Member

9,439 Messages
    7,644 Likes Received
    Well Rams did play their starters, and we didn't.

mcompact, Kolemmitt and Carharris2 like this.
  20. rat2k8

rat2k8 Well-Known Member

4,672 Messages
    4,202 Likes Received
    I have been one of Taco's worst critics from day one since draft day. Yesterday he played a great game. :clap:

Kaiser and MichaelWinicki like this.