Sullivan: From Taco to Irving, Several Encouraging Signs From Defense

Discussion in 'Fan Zone' started by waving monkey, Aug 13, 2017 at 3:56 AM.

1. Section444

Section444 Well-Known Member

6,039 Messages
    2,240 Likes Received
    Definitely glad to see Taco get a sack, but I'm hoping for a lot more before the season starts. He still looks so weak at the point-of-attack. Based on two games, if I'm an OC, I'm running to his side every play.

Having said that this week was far more encouraging, and hopefully he'll just continue to get better each week.

2. CowboyRoy

CowboyRoy Well-Known Member

7,040 Messages
    2,913 Likes Received
    And who can forget them being happy with Weeden as the backup QB for a few years. And all that after watching him bomb that first time against Arizona. Talk about horrid evaluation. But then again, we all remember Jones bragging that he threw the best practice ball he has ever seen or something dumb like that. Jones has a way of making guys stick around. Like McChicken. For whatever reason Jones is in love with him.

3. CowboyRoy

7,040 Messages
    2,913 Likes Received
    Im not so sure about that one. They have great talent on D and Wade is now their defensive coordinator. I would be willing to bet they make a big jump in D this year. And although they do have Goff at QB, they are assembling some good talent at the skill positions. Gurley, Watkins now in the trade, Cooper and a nice TE in the draft. Tevon Austin is also dangerous. And although he fumbled, that rookie back they had impressed.

4. CowboyRoy

7,040 Messages
    2,913 Likes Received
    If Taco is starting at RDE then the defense is in big trouble. Maybe he can show something in the 2nd half of the year.

Section444 likes this.
  5. Hawkeye19

Hawkeye19 Well-Known Member

1,066 Messages
    1,716 Likes Received
    Taco, Gathers, #56 Jones, Woods, Cooper all had nice games. Defense in general looked scrappy and played angry-- always a great sign of tone and personality. Other than that-- pretty underwhelming game overall.

Moore and McCown were simply atrocious. I have ZERO confidence in our backups-- and I prefer Rush as a developmental QB at this point, not our #2. Hopefully, a vet gets cut that has something in the tank. IMO-- JJ needs to be working the phones to get another pass rusher and QB yesterday.

haleyrules likes this.
  6. Section444

6,039 Messages
    2,240 Likes Received
    He has the same problem a lot of guys (granted, usually not first rounders) have coming into the league, he just needs to get stronger.

7. CowboyRoy

7,040 Messages
    2,913 Likes Received
    Yep, hes a rookie. Shouldnt expect much.

Section444 likes this.
  8. Noryb

Noryb Active Member

665 Messages
    126 Likes Received
    The Rams had 3rd stringers playing in the 1st quarter?

Kaiser likes this.
  9. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

19,735 Messages
    11,989 Likes Received
    you mean your unrealistic analysis.....on a few things....
    Are you kidding us...Morris sucked last night, and DMC outran him. He made cuts, he made some tough extra yards. What in the heck were you watching...or didn't watch.
    Taco and Tapper did better than you think.

VACowboy, PJTHEDOORS and Dash28 like this.
  10. Noryb

Noryb Active Member

665 Messages
    126 Likes Received
    Can you point to a specific play were he was manhandled or looked weak at the point of attack? I just haven't seen that.

stilltheguru88 and windward like this.
  11. VACowboy

VACowboy Well-Known Member

5,656 Messages
    1,817 Likes Received
    I watched the first sack a dozen more times on YouTube and Watt did not bull rush the tackle back into the quarterback. He was getting some push and the tackle was riding him past the pocket as the pocket collapsed. The quarterback stepped up to his left into the clear. Watt came forward off of his blocker and made the tackle, which is what he is supposed to do. On the second sack, yes he recognized that there was nobody standing between him and the quarterback and he put the guy on the ground. Which is also his job. You are obviously too busy up there on your soapbox to notice I also said that Watt looked quick and played pretty well, which is how I saw his play objectively, so please spare me the self-righteous indignation.

RXP, MichaelWinicki and Noryb like this.
  12. VACowboy

5,656 Messages
    1,817 Likes Received
    I'm going to need to see these guys with the starters before I make any judgments. Gurley had 2 yards on 4 carries against second and third stringers.

13. jazzcat22

jazzcat22 Well-Known Member

19,735 Messages
    11,989 Likes Received
    that goes for just about every player. But I look at did the player do what they were supposed to do. Rather a good play or just an ok play. We as fans look for different things and see what we want to see most of the time. But what we see, is that what the coaches want to see.

I need to see more as well. But I won't sit here and say well, it was against 3rd stringers....so what, the guy made a play or didn't in the eyes of the coaches. For us, it is just something to post positive or negative about....LOL...

14. mcompact

mcompact Well-Known Member

1,336 Messages
    2,098 Likes Received
    Stop all of the optimism, guys, it's apparently too upsetting for some people.

15. sbark

sbark Well-Known Member Zone Supporter

5,201 Messages
    1,369 Likes Received
    Is Lenny Jones our low budget T.J. Watt?.......be curious to see how their spark scores match up

VACowboy likes this.
  16. VACowboy

5,656 Messages
    1,817 Likes Received
    Yeah. You're right on all accounts. I was more responding to the guys on NFL network at halftime last night who were bashing on McFadden and Morris for not being explosive enough. I thought it was funny considering McFadden had 28 yards on six carries and the great Gurley had two on four. We all know that nobody on this roster is going to replace Elliot, but everybody and their brother is burying the Cowboys offense without him and I don't see it. There are a lot more great players on this team than just Zeke.

jazzcat22 likes this.
  17. phildadon86

phildadon86 Well-Known Member

4,958 Messages
    5,363 Likes Received
    So watt against one of the worst offensive lines in the NFLs backups is a stud. But taco against backups is a bust? Cool

18. diefree666

diefree666 Well-Known Member

1,155 Messages
    1,324 Likes Received
    Red Ball was also the deciding vote on keeping Brad Johnson. Outside of Kitna when have the boys had a really good backup? Orton, maybe? They are very bad overall in evaluating backup QBs and have been for some time.

19. speedkilz88

speedkilz88 Well-Known Member

26,231 Messages
    6,258 Likes Received
    It was Flowers

Jstopper likes this.
  20. Section444

6,039 Messages
    2,240 Likes Received
    It's pretty rare that anyone at this level truly gets manhandled, and I haven't seen him get manhandled yet. But, I've seen him get stood up at the line almost every play he's played so far. While he will grow a lot and may even blossom into a great player, he's got a long way to go. There are a lot of guys, some that have become super star players that needed to add strength and weren't all that impressive their rookie hear.